Have's vs. Have not's...

Guest ERock

Guest RogueDuck

$$$

Looks like Cal's budget is pretty much the same, the only difference is UO doesn't carry 300 extra athletes. Looks like we figured out long ago to fund fewer programs, but to be able to give those programs the very best. Cal either needs to cut some sports, or get more money. I don't see this as a have/have not scenario. It's more of a Cal has to many sports teams compared to UO have just the right amount for it's budget.

So let me get this straight. You're telling me that it takes money to run successful Div. I sports programs...........huh who knew?

Guest Bone Crusher

I read somewhere that CU had the highest amounts of funding per student athlete in the Big 12 because CU is carrying the minimum number of teams required to be a FBS school. Sometimes more sports isn't better.

Guest jjones163

Both CAL and Stanford try to fund way too many sports teams and need to cut the programs they cannot afford. As to Nike they support a lot of schools not just Oregon. For example the University of Arizona head football coach Mike Stoops and Head Basketball Coach Sean Miller get $200,000 of each of their salaries from Nike. Oregon is fortunate to have Knight donate his personal money to them (he is an alum), but Nike supports a lot of schools big time. Other schools have billionaire boosters who help with the funding of facilities etc. Arizona has four billionaire alums 3 of whom have given good support. This is how facilities can be built and programs can thrive.

Jim

Guest RogueDuck

Both CAL and Stanford try to fund way too many sports teams and need to cut the programs they cannot afford. As to Nike they support a lot of schools not just Oregon. For example the University of Arizona head football coach Mike Stoops and Head Basketball Coach Sean Miller get $200,000 of each of their salaries from Nike. Oregon is fortunate to have Knight donate his personal money to them (he is an alum), but Nike supports a lot of schools big time. Other schools have billionaire boosters who help with the funding of facilities etc. Arizona has four billionaire alums 3 of whom have given good support. This is how facilities can be built and programs can thrive.

Jim

Also, as much as OSU tries to act like Knight has never helped them out, he gave them $10mill to keep coach Casey in Corvallis after Notre Dame offered him a raise to coach their baseball team. He gives a ton to UO, but he and Nike also take care of other schools and teams.

Archived