Discussion: NCAA and payoffs

Guest Troylegend2000

Guest Troylegend2000

I was talking with some friends of mine at a BBQ about how much money the NCAA gains from a school that is found guilty of impropriety of the NCAA rules and guidelines.

The topic got off on several tangents as you can imagine, but what was striking was the amounts of money that probationary schools have to pay to the NCAA. In some cases "HUSH MONEY" - (Think SEC)

I do not want this to sound like disgruntled, I accept that Bush's Step-Father was a shady character, just like Cam's (Cee Sell "my kid" Newton). I also accept that the NCAA was going to hammer any school that got OJ Mayo on campus. However, what I do not accept is that the NCAA seems more interested about the fines than they are about correcting their inferiority and ineptness to make college sports a "Level Playing Field", as they so champion.

These are just some of the findings in a quick research:

University of Colorado:

DENVER -- Colorado was placed on two years' probation and fined $100,000 by the NCAA on Thursday for inadvertently undercharging 133 athletes for meals totaling $61,700 over six academic years. The school also was ordered to cut one football scholarship for the next three seasons.

University of Alabama:

Yet on Thursday, the NCAA Committee on Infractions imposed no scholarship reductions on the Crimson Tide football team or any of the university's other 15 teams that had 201 players obtain free textbooks for their buddies.

The committee ordered Alabama to vacate 21 victories in football and one in tennis. The university also must pay a fine to the NCAA of $43,900, the cost of the free textbooks distributed. That's not quite 48 cents per seat at one of the Tide's seven games at Bryant-Denny Stadium this fall.

Further, all future conference distributions to the institution resulting from its appearance in the 2008 Men's Basketball Tournament that are scheduled to be provided to the institution shall be withheld by the conference and forfeited to the NCAA.

This was in addition to the $206,000 that was forfeited back to the NCAA received from the revenue sharing of the PAC-10

It sort of becomes all about money for the NCAA - A supposed Not-for-Profit association, doesn't it?

Why does the money go to the NCAA for a school charging less for meals or text books? Is not that the expense of the school already taking a loss?

Discuss:

Guest Bone Crusher

Regarding the CU case, it was a very biazarre one becuase not only did the rule (the one that CU got into trouble) change at the time of CU being put on probation, but a former CU compliance officer was employed by the NCAA. A lot of CU haters within the Big 12 did sympathize with CU because of that stupid rule. If you have time, why don't you search the Boulder Daily Camera to find out more about that case?

With the 'Bama case, it was biazarre because some players were trying to help some students and anyone who went to college knows how much a drain college can be on the wallet even if you take out student loans.

What the NCAA did with USC is normal in cases like that where the school has to forfeit money.

A lot has been made about how the NCAA is swimming in money when that is not actually the case because a lot of the money goes to the conferences who gives the schools their cut of the NCAA money.

Guest Troylegend2000

So, let me get this straight. The NCAA gets money, then doles it out to conferences, that then disperse it to the individual schools? Right?

So what a bout the Fine money, like the fine for Eastern Washington storming the field after a big win? Where does that go? And why would it go to another school? that seems a bit unfair if that is the case. I think that the NCAA corp disperses it to themselves, under a charity of some sort.

Next, there was another fine for a school storming the field, I forget the school, but it was like a $45,000 fine.

Thank you for your responses.:D

Guest Troylegend2000

Where do YOU think the money goes?

Me?

I don't think Where it goes, I know Where it goes.

Have you ever been affiliated with a large Non-Profit? (American Diabetes Foundation, The Cure, Red Cross, etc)

If you have then you know as well.

Think Bonuses from the excess monies.

Most of the "Volunteers" that have other jobs and work with a not-for-profit, will receive a bonus for services rendered, it is not a salary, but is a way to show a "NO" Profit at the end of the year. Look at how much the guy at Fanny/Freddie made on his bonuses. His salary was $1.5 mil per year, but netted $18 mil + in bonuses over 3 years.

NEW YORK — Freddie Mac Chairman and Chief Executive Richard Syron pocketed nearly $19.8 million in compensation last year, according to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing Friday, even though the mortgage company's stock lost half its value in 2007

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25740405/ns/business-real_estate/

Just a thought.

Archived