How good is Oregon this year?

Guest The Real U

Guest The Real U

This Oregon squad seems ridiculously talented and deep. I don't care that they havent really played anyone of note, the scores speak for themselves.

I was wondering what the roster for Oregon will look like in the next couple of years. Is Oregon returning a lot of starters next year? Is Oregon the new powerhouse of the PAC?

I am new to the ebbs and flows of the PAC so I just wanted to start a topic, plus this board moves awfully slow.

Guest klarkashtoon

Well our fine new Ute college, here is my take on the Oregon Ducks-

The Oregon Ducks have been of surprisingly high quality for at least twenty years. But the national media and the famous blowhard conferences like the Big 12 and the SEC have never seemed to recognize this. None of those blockheads of the eastern venues of our nation can get their arms around the fact that teams from places they've never dreamed of visiting like Eugene or Corvalis or Pullman or Seattle or Tempe or Tuscon can fairly regularly produce football teams capable of taking their darlings to the woodshed more often than not.

These fossilzed fans live in some past of their own imaginations. Let's forget about the desert swarms, the Jason Gessers, the Don James teams, et al for now just to be short and sweet and concentrate upon the Ducks. Way back in the nineties they were tough to beat, under an ironically unpopular coach named Rich Brooks, who took them to a rose bowl against a Penn State juggernaut that I believe shared one half of the NC that year.

But IMO things really started cooking in Eugene when the Ducks hired Mike Belottie as head coach in the late nineties, I believe. He produced many high caliber teams that were just ever so close to being on the cusp of challenging for NC'S, but UCLA under BigBoy Bob Toledo caught a hot hand with loads of skill hotshots with OB Cade McKnown and with sheer O brilliance, but absent any significant D, went on a wild ride and outgunned everyone else in the PacTen for near to a half decade until crashing and burning forever, it now seems, in a famous game in Miami, which was switched from early to very late as a consequence of a hurricane. Well, Burrito Bob, as some called him, was just dumb enough NOT to get his baby blue squad down into the unexpected heat and humidity of Miami pre-game early enough to get acclimatized in what Bigboy lamely thought would be a cool November Miami climate -- he just listlessly plopped his unready players down to south florida just prior to gametime... and well, his pretty boys flat ran out of gas against the Canes in a most enjoyable game, for me at least, to watch. UGLY, as we Trojan fans call the baby blues, have never recovered. It was their one time only chance to win the big enchilada and they fell flat when it counted. Forgive my going on so.

But those O's of DeShawn Foster, McNown, and a slew of freak WR's and TE's were far too much for a then terrible USC team under Paul Hackett, and just a tad too much for the Ducks under Belotti and most of the rest of the Conference. When Pete Carroll arrived, by his second year, he was steamrolling everyone, because he had not yet let hubris and nepotism destroy his magic formula, with Norm Chow running the O, and King Pete concentrating on D. But then over the years the King Pete era began to go to seed. First the catastrophic Chow departure, which resulted in King Pete shoving his godson, Lane Kiffen, into Chow's old spot, and splitting the fan base in a choas of bitterness and internecine warfare of mutual name calling.

And meanwhile the Pac Ten teams which, unlike OOC teams, were patiently learning about USC Pete Carrol tendencies on both D and O. Yet on D PC could still handle most teams, yet he was so insane and full of himself that he went and micromanaged the team more and more, and the more tightly he gripped the more USC football slipped from his true control. It was a great ZEN parable, IMO. We suffered, the USC fans, I mean, watching this ugly, termite like erosion. But meantime teams like Oregon began to really, really thrive in the sort of slowly expanding power vacuum. Once Belotti hired on Chip Kelly as his OC, all hell broke loose in the world of CFB, not just in the Pac Ten.

The Texas Longhorns, under super-freak superman QB Vince Young had taught the nation a resounding lesson when USC and Texas clashed in one of the most beautiful games ever, and that was the earth shaking Rose Bowl BCS NC game where it was shown once and for all, just how vulnerable the by then ultra vaunted Pete Carrol Tampa Two style D could be defeated. Against a team with a freak QB that could both through the rock and run the rock with equal brilliance, Pete Carrol's Trojans had shown leaks and cracks from day one. The one coach who grasped this earliest was Coach Schneider of K-state who won twice against Pete in his first two season's at USC, home and home. The secret now turns out to have been El Roberson as the mobile, accurate QB and Darren Sproles as the short, squat burner at RB. That combo was deadly to a Pete Carrol D. Not until VY really amped this up in the famed Rose Bowl. however, did the world really get it.

Thereafter Oregon has been a big time load for USC to handle, especially at Autzen Stadium, especially with QB Dennis Dixon and a fast, powerful, athletic RB paired with Dixon -- what was that freak's name -- Jonathan something? Pete's D could not stop Chip Kelly's no huddle spread, nor could anyone else. BUT! But a game or two after the fierce clash up in Autzen which the Ducks won with a magnificent showing, (BTW, I thought USC's D fought magnificently well that day, too -- a very memorable event!) ... anyhow two games later Dixon went down permanently for that year and the Ducks fell to absolutle pieces, demonstrating IMO how vulnerable the Chip Kelly spread was. BUT! But now he seems to have figured out some way around his dependence upon some single freak QB like Dixon, and just keeps rolling no matter WHO the QB turns out to be. I had thought the Ducks would slip out of the picture absent Masolit this year, but guess what?

So now what? Are the Ducks flat invincible? Will they run the table? Roll over USC at the Coliseum? Ahhhhh, that is the million dollar question, IMO. I am smacking my lips somewhat in anticipation of that game, as I am for USC's first big test versus Stanford at the farm in two weeks. BUT. but thought the Stanford game is away, USC has a lot more to lean on since Harbaugh runs the Pro style O, and I think Monte Kiffen is plotting something we do not see just now.

But what about the no huddle, spred Chip Kelly attack that roars into the Coliseum late in the season? Ah, as I said, million dollar question. Million dollar showdown and challenge for one of football's legendary D guru's. Wow. Just wow! My opinion is that USC can win it.

Guest FountainofUte

You really need to start posting in "CliffsNotes" form. <_<

You'd think with our exposure to "Mendenhall-ese" that this would be no problem for us to read.

Guest Chile_Ute

You'd think with our exposure to "Mendenhall-ese" that this would be no problem for us to read.

Either just gets me tired and gives me a headache.

Guest klarkashtoon

Either just gets me tired and gives me a headache.

Fellas- come get a hold of yourselves --

This is a new board in need of someome like me and others to write stuff that goes beyond the parameters of cliff notes and/or sound bites. Otherwise we might as well simply stick with the old and say screw-you to anything else, anything well...shall we say...different.

You know, I am innured to folk hammering me for going on too long with my posts or saying things a bit differently than the norm. I figure, hey, try something new and different just for the hell of it. But if this newbie board is to become barnacalized with trolls before it ever even gets airborn...well guess what....?

Guest FountainofUte

This is a new board in need of someome like me and others to write stuff that goes beyond the parameters of cliff notes and/or sound bites. Otherwise we might as well simply stick with the old and say screw-you to anything else, anything well...shall we say...different.

You know, I am innured to folk hammering me for going on too long with my posts or saying things a bit differently than the norm. I figure, hey, try something new and different just for the hell of it. But if this newbie board is to become barnacalized with trolls before it ever even gets airborn...well guess what....?

No worries, man.

At least you're self aware of your lack of brevity. I can't promise I'll read every word. Otherwise, I appreciate your perspective so far.

Guest LeaderofthePac

Great post up top klark!

Here's what I wrote about Oregon in my Conference Predictions

But now that I've seen them play...

Oregon looks like the number one team in the nation right now based on the box scores, but they were significantly better than every team they faced at every position on the field. The first half against Tennessee was mostly a lackluster performance from the Ducks, but they had some game breaking plays that broke it open and they won it big. While that was a mental test playing in a hostile environment, they were still 13 point favorites on the road which means you're probably a 17 point home favorite. That doesn't translate into a difficult game, and I give credit to Chip Kelly for having his team focused and going across the country for a win.

Let me preface my opinion with the fact that I watched the entire Tennessee and Portland State games, but only saw highlights of the New Mexico game. The optimistic version of Oregon is that they will be unstoppable in conference play. Their offensive line is big and athletic, LaMichael James is explosive and the defense can keep them in any game. Their young players are getting as many reps as the starters and it only adds to their depth and allows them to quickly gain experience. They have what I would consider a gimmicky read-option offense that can be extremely difficult to defend if you don't have a strong rush defense. Three teams now have defensive coordinators that came from the NFL (Cal, USC, Stanford) and as Cal proved on Friday night it is not an easy transition for the NFL coordinators.

The pessimistic version is that their passing game has not looked good so far. Darron Thomas has thrown interceptions every game, and those will prove to be killers on the road. The secondaries were considered question marks for multiple teams in the conference, but they've looked surprisingly strong so far (Arizona, UCLA, Cal, ASU, Stanford, and OSU despite giving up 28 points to Louisville had a game clinching INT last week).

The numbers are impossible to tell how Oregon's first team defense has played, because they have mostly been rested in the second half, but based on last year the Ducks top tackler was their safety John Boyett. Whenever a safety is the top tackler on the team I would say that it's because their secondary is weak and he allows the player to catch a lot of balls, or the front seven are allowing running backs to get into the secondary. Oregon has one of the most aggressive defenses in the conference and will give up big plays this year. The conference also has some great defensive lineman in Stephen Paea, Lawrence Guy, Jurrell Casey, Cameron Jordan, Brooks Reed, Ricky Elmore, etc. They will have a much more difficult time running the ball in conference play and we don't know how they'll respond. The conference also has some great offenses that are capable of long clock-killing drives, and with their starters playing less they might not be as conditioned to go all four quarters.

It will be interesting to see how they perform, and they've definitely looked the best so far, but I don't see them going undefeated. They had four games where seemingly everything went their way last year (Arizona, OSU, USC, Cal) and I'm expecting those four to be looking for payback.

My four cents.

Guest The Real U

Great post up top klark!

Here's what I wrote about Oregon in my Conference Predictions

But now that I've seen them play...

Oregon looks like the number one team in the nation right now based on the box scores, but they were significantly better than every team they faced at every position on the field. The first half against Tennessee was mostly a lackluster performance from the Ducks, but they had some game breaking plays that broke it open and they won it big. While that was a mental test playing in a hostile environment, they were still 13 point favorites on the road which means you're probably a 17 point home favorite. That doesn't translate into a difficult game, and I give credit to Chip Kelly for having his team focused and going across the country for a win.

Let me preface my opinion with the fact that I watched the entire Tennessee and Portland State games, but only saw highlights of the New Mexico game. The optimistic version of Oregon is that they will be unstoppable in conference play. Their offensive line is big and athletic, LaMichael James is explosive and the defense can keep them in any game. Their young players are getting as many reps as the starters and it only adds to their depth and allows them to quickly gain experience. They have what I would consider a gimmicky read-option offense that can be extremely difficult to defend if you don't have a strong rush defense. Three teams now have defensive coordinators that came from the NFL (Cal, USC, Stanford) and as Cal proved on Friday night it is not an easy transition for the NFL coordinators.

The pessimistic version is that their passing game has not looked good so far. Darron Thomas has thrown interceptions every game, and those will prove to be killers on the road. The secondaries were considered question marks for multiple teams in the conference, but they've looked surprisingly strong so far (Arizona, UCLA, Cal, ASU, Stanford, and OSU despite giving up 28 points to Louisville had a game clinching INT last week).

The numbers are impossible to tell how Oregon's first team defense has played, because they have mostly been rested in the second half, but based on last year the Ducks top tackler was their safety John Boyett. Whenever a safety is the top tackler on the team I would say that it's because their secondary is weak and he allows the player to catch a lot of balls, or the front seven are allowing running backs to get into the secondary. Oregon has one of the most aggressive defenses in the conference and will give up big plays this year. The conference also has some great defensive lineman in Stephen Paea, Lawrence Guy, Jurrell Casey, Cameron Jordan, Brooks Reed, Ricky Elmore, etc. They will have a much more difficult time running the ball in conference play and we don't know how they'll respond. The conference also has some great offenses that are capable of long clock-killing drives, and with their starters playing less they might not be as conditioned to go all four quarters.

It will be interesting to see how they perform, and they've definitely looked the best so far, but I don't see them going undefeated. They had four games where seemingly everything went their way last year (Arizona, OSU, USC, Cal) and I'm expecting those four to be looking for payback.

My four cents.

Thanks for the write up.

Unfortunately I havent been able to watch too many PAC games this year but from the box scores Oregon has looked unstoppable.

I was just trying to post a topic to get people in response mode since this board moves so slow...

Thanks again!

Guest Chile_Ute

Not hammering you, more just a sarcastic jab....by all means, post away Chico. Whatever floats your boat.

Oh, and if you are inferring that I'm a troll.....you're pretty far off the mark.

Guest uteman1011

Not hammering you, more just a sarcastic jab....by all means, post away Chico. Whatever floats your boat.

Oh, and if you are inferring that I'm a troll.....you're pretty far off the mark.

Extremely.. "pretty", far off the mark (I might add). I could go on... and on... and on... but I choose to be different and thus will not... go on. B)

Guest utenation

It's all good man.. Write what you want.. Your input is appreciated..

Guest Bone Crusher

Hey klarkashtoon,

Keep doing your stuff.

I do recall those Jake Plummer led Sun Devils of the 1990's...they fell short of the NC when they had a chance to do so and only God knows how things would have turned out for the Pac-10 had the Sun Devils actually won the NC that year.

As excited as I am for the Buffs joining the Pac-10, I still have to get used to what Pac-10 culture is all about. You got Pac-10 culture clashing with the old Big 8/Big 12 culture in the Buffs and the Buff tradition of success was more based on the physical aspect of a strong running game not what we "easterners" call finesse football. :lol:

Guest Go Devils!

Oregon is VERY FAST and a lot more physical than I thought they would be. I honestly thought there would be a slight drop off without Masoli, but they have not missed a beat. The scariest thing is I think they are going to get better as their QB gets more accurate (not that he's that bad now).

Guest utenation

Oregon is VERY FAST and a lot more physical than I thought they would be. I honestly thought there would be a slight drop off without Masoli, but they have not missed a beat. The scariest thing is I think they are going to get better as their QB gets more accurate (not that he's that bad now).

Welcome BTW... How did you hear about this board?

Guest Bone Crusher

It's great to see a SunDevil fan. I think that leaves OSU and 'Furd as the fanbases that haven't touched this site yet. I'm looking forward to next year when the smack starts flying around between Pac-12 schools (Pac-10 smack still happens on this board but I'm enjoying the popcorn).

Guest Go Devils!

Welcome BTW... How did you hear about this board?

I saw a post on DevilsDigest.com. This is a good looking site - hope it continues to grow!

Guest utenation

It's great to see a SunDevil fan. I think that leaves OSU and 'Furd as the fanbases that haven't touched this site yet. I'm looking forward to next year when the smack starts flying around between Pac-12 schools (Pac-10 smack still happens on this board but I'm enjoying the popcorn).

I dropped a line on all the PAC Scout team boards last night.. I'm hoping some of them to show..

I have a few guys doing the same on Rivals' boards...

We need some fans here to balance out your CU homer goggles Crusher.. B)

Guest utenation

I saw a post on DevilsDigest.com. This is a good looking site - hope it continues to grow!

Sweet... That was me.. Please tell your associates about this site.. Low key mods and a soup kitchen for creative thinking..

Archived