PAC 16?

Guest FountainofUte

Guest superdeluxe

That would be a killer basketball division though..Arizona and Kansas? Those 2 with UCLA are the 3 big basketball programs west of the Mississippi

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bone Crusher

I don't think Wyoming is going to have a increase in population..hasn't their population actually gone into decline the past few decades? Wyoming *screams* to me another mouth to the table, without bringing much to the table.

With the oil and natural gas projects that have came online in recent years (I work for the Federal Government agency that does this kind of stuff), I believe Wyoming's population is going up plus the regional offices of the major oil corporations that do business in Wyoming are in Denver. A few companies like that are also in the SLC area. I can't see the Wyoming population being in decline but a pitfall to UW would be the boom and bust cycles of the oil industry.

UNLV is still a better option if Vegas will get serious about building a real football stadium and with them along with UNM, TT, & BSU, they very well could be the "Plan B" for the Pac-16 if we really have to go down that path.

Guest superdeluxe

With the oil and natural gas projects that have came online in recent years (I work for the Federal Government agency that does this kind of stuff), I believe Wyoming's population is going up plus the regional offices of the major oil corporations that do business in Wyoming are in Denver. A few companies like that are also in the SLC area. I can't see the Wyoming population being in decline but a pitfall to UW would be the boom and bust cycles of the oil industry.

UNLV is still a better option if Vegas will get serious about building a real football stadium and with them along with UNM, TT, & BSU, they very well could be the "Plan B" for the Pac-16 if we really have to go down that path.

UNLV would be perfect...We could build the CCG stadium there, UNLV in, and capture the fastest rising population in the West. I like BSU on the field..but not sure how valuable that Boise/Nampa market is.

Guest FountainofUte

I think OU will do whatever Texas does, and OSU will do whatever OU does. But in the scenario above, I think Kansas would be better than Missouri. Kansas is just a couple of years removed from the Orange Bowl, and their basketball program is obviously blue chip with a national fanbase. Missouri is about on par with Kansas in football, and is way below them in basketball. Plus, geographically Kansas makes more sense.

I totally agree, and to be honest, being in a division with OU, TT and a couple other B12 cast offs has me about as excited as getting the stomach flu.

I think the current makeup of schools and cities in which they reside is dynamic and exciting. It just feels right filling a schedule full of teams west of the Rockies. Admittedly, the *only* schools that would get me excited to add to the PAC would be UT (I think most would agree) and BYU (I know I stand completely alone on this one). Believe it or not, even the addition of OU leaves me kind of limp. It just feels wrong. I'd actually be more excited about KU than OU. Maybe I'm crazy.

I could live with UT, A&M, OU and OSU. If wUtah ended up in a division with them along with CU and the AZ schools, it would be a bit of a letdown, but still a huge upgrade from the MWC days.

Guest superdeluxe

I know many buff fans did not like being in a division with Texas, fearing that Pac-16 would be dominated by UT, The difference between a potential pac-16 and a big 12 is that you would have california on the otherside of the Texas division.

Guest BuffZilla

I know many buff fans did not like being in a division with Texas, fearing that Pac-16 would be dominated by UT, The difference between a potential pac-16 and a big 12 is that you would have california on the otherside of the Texas division.

The biggest reason, I think, that Buff fans did not want to be in a division w/ Texas, is that it would have defeated the overall purpose of moving from the Big XII to the Pac-10. Being placed in a division with UT/TT/OU/OSU would have meant playing them all every year - which we didn't even do in the Big XII. More trips to Lubbock and Stoolwater - YEAH!! With the exception of UT, there are no great academic schools on that list. And, while we would still have the California element to the conference, we would not play on the west coast nearly as much with a 16 team league as with a 12 team league. Personally, I'm glad that the Pac-12 stopped at 12.

Guest superdeluxe

Personally, I'm glad that the Pac-12 stopped at 12.

It stopped at 12, because there were no other real options out there, I think 16 is where everyone is heading too though.

Guest Bone Crusher

It stopped at 12, because there were no other real options out there, I think 16 is where everyone is heading too though.

Commenting on an older post: I didn't like the idea of being in the Pac-16 East because it was said at the time that you would play all of the teams in your division which leaves out a lot of games against the Pac-8 schools. Now with the pod scheduling being clairfied of late and how that would have worked with a Pac-16, I have no problems with that because it would mean two games against the OK/TX, California, and Northwest pods every year. That means one trip to each region for everyone.

As it currently stands, I have no objections to a Pac-16 if it uses the pod scheduling method.

As for 16 team leagues, I think the Big East, Big 12, and a combination of the MWC/WAC will go to 12 first before going to 16 teams. I believe this is the most likely outcome and the most sane thing.

Guest FountainofUte

As for 16 team leagues, I think the Big East, Big 12, and a combination of the MWC/WAC will go to 12 first before going to 16 teams. I believe this is the most likely outcome and the most sane thing.

It would make a lot of sense for the better teams in the MWC, WAC and CUSA to get something going on their own. There are good teams, schools and programs in all of those conferences. If you take the cream of all of them and combine them, that's a decent conference. It might be the last chance for those teams that try to compete to get a piece of the pie before the BCS completely closes its doors.

I wouldn't mind a conference like this getting BCS AQ:

BSU

AFA

Fresno State

UNLV

New Mexico

Nevada

San Diego State

Houston

SMU

Hawaii

CSU

If they could talk TCU (rumored to be talking to Big East) and/or BYU (going indie) in staying with them, that would be a coup. Many of those schools are already good, once were good, or are on the way up (watch out for SDSU).

If they continue to hang out with the schools that are dragging them down, they'll be toast sooner than later.

Guest superdeluxe

Looking back on this..The best thing for the OLD MWC< would have been if the Pac-16 actually happened, even if Utah was one of the teams or not. The MWC would have been in perfect position to swoop in and pick up the pieces of the Big 12.

Guest The Real U

Looking back on this..The best thing for the OLD MWC< would have been if the Pac-16 actually happened, even if Utah was one of the teams or not. The MWC would have been in perfect position to swoop in and pick up the pieces of the Big 12.

I agree. Especially with basketball competitiveness.

I am glad that it didnt happen for the U's sake ;).

Guest superdeluxe

I agree. Especially with basketball competitiveness.

I am glad that it didnt happen for the U's sake ;).

Utah was in a safe position either way. Don't get selected by P-16, stay in expanded MWC that will gain AQ status, Get selected by P-16, in AQ conference.

So i'm curious if anybody has knowledge of the university of New Mexico? I did a little research and it looks like they are about "middle of the pack" as far as academics go. But Albuqerque has over 700,000 residents and probably commands a good TV market. So if they could raise the level of their academics like Other Pac10 schools did in the past, then I think they could be an option.

I know alot of people want to go for the top schools like Oklahoma and Texas. But I think going for up and coming schools with bright futures is just as a good of an option (which is why I like the Utah addition). It just seems that the top schools could be more of a headache than they are worth. I think accepting schools that would work hard to better themselves and be proud to be part of the Pac would be alot better of an option.

Geographicaly Kansas would be my personal option as to how far east the Pac should go. So I like the Jayhawks for several reasons. There willingness to put money into bettering there football program. The fact that they are a storied basketball program. And that they are an AAU school shows they are academicaly a good match for the Pac.

Another school that I like is Texas Tech. Like Crusher said in an earlier post TT is a a school that has a bright future with an existing plan to better themselves. And it gets the Pac into the state of Texas.

That would make 15 teams if New Mexico works out (which i'm not sure about). So the last team i'm a little undecided and need to do more research. But if we accepted say a Wyoming, paired with the other schools I mentioned it pretty much locks down the entire west all the way to Kansas (with he exception of states of Texas and Oklahoma). So does the Pac go for the next biggest TV market this side of Kansas? Or do they go after a school that doesn't have much of a main TV market, but goes for a geographical move and expands there brand to increase more smaller markets?

Guest utenation

Personally, I'm not ready for all this PAC 16 talk.. I want to see how the PAC12 works out and see what happens in the other conferences.. One thing we know for sure is, Scott and the PAC will no longer be sitting on the sidelines like they did with Hansen.

I want to see how the TV contract looks, matchups, the conference championship game, new rivaries and finally, the fight against East Coast Bias. The real mission for expansion and added value.

In a few years, when we're all settled in and have a good understanding of our status, let's look at it again..

For now, let the ink dry on the PAC12.

JMO.

Guest Bone Crusher

So i'm curious if anybody has knowledge of the university of New Mexico? I did a little research and it looks like they are about "middle of the pack" as far as academics go. But Albuqerque has over 700,000 residents and probably commands a good TV market. So if they could raise the level of their academics like Other Pac10 schools did in the past, then I think they could be an option.

I know alot of people want to go for the top schools like Oklahoma and Texas. But I think going for up and coming schools with bright futures is just as a good of an option (which is why I like the Utah addition). It just seems that the top schools could be more of a headache than they are worth. I think accepting schools that would work hard to better themselves and be proud to be part of the Pac would be alot better of an option.

Geographicaly Kansas would be my personal option as to how far east the Pac should go. So I like the Jayhawks for several reasons. There willingness to put money into bettering there football program. The fact that they are a storied basketball program. And that they are an AAU school shows they are academicaly a good match for the Pac.

Another school that I like is Texas Tech. Like Crusher said in an earlier post TT is a a school that has a bright future with an existing plan to better themselves. And it gets the Pac into the state of Texas.

That would make 15 teams if New Mexico works out (which i'm not sure about). So the last team i'm a little undecided and need to do more research. But if we accepted say a Wyoming, paired with the other schools I mentioned it pretty much locks down the entire west all the way to Kansas (with he exception of states of Texas and Oklahoma). So does the Pac go for the next biggest TV market this side of Kansas? Or do they go after a school that doesn't have much of a main TV market, but goes for a geographical move and expands there brand to increase more smaller markets?

Gave you a rep for a wonderful post.

After seeing how the Big 12 brought together the top programs of two top leagues at the time, it seems like it hasn't worked out very well because of too many egos out there. Compare this to the Pac-8 adding two WAC schools back in 1978 which would be like adding Utah and another MWC school to the mix. UT, for better or worse, is a very proud athletic department with a very proud fanbase and the pride of UT can't take a backseat to ANYONE and that is why I told UT fans that their school is much better off going independent. OU is also the same way and CU to a degree...too much of a good thing can be harmful to the whole product.

I understand USC fans want USC to go independent but I think that isn't a smart thing for USC to do right now unless more western schools restart their football teams especially in California. Since USC isn't religiously affilated like they used to, I'm not sure if the WCC is an option but the WAC & Big West could be an option for their other sports. But I don't think it will work unlike Texas which I think will work out great for the Longhorns. Nothing against USC...just my honest opinion.

Gave you a rep for a wonderful post.

After seeing how the Big 12 brought together the top programs of two top leagues at the time, it seems like it hasn't worked out very well because of too many egos out there. Compare this to the Pac-8 adding two WAC schools back in 1978 which would be like adding Utah and another MWC school to the mix. UT, for better or worse, is a very proud athletic department with a very proud fanbase and the pride of UT can't take a backseat to ANYONE and that is why I told UT fans that their school is much better off going independent. OU is also the same way and CU to a degree...too much of a good thing can be harmful to the whole product.

I understand USC fans want USC to go independent but I think that isn't a smart thing for USC to do right now unless more western schools restart their football teams especially in California. Since USC isn't religiously affilated like they used to, I'm not sure if the WCC is an option but the WAC & Big West could be an option for their other sports. But I don't think it will work unlike Texas which I think will work out great for the Longhorns. Nothing against USC...just my honest opinion.

Hey thanks for the rep (although i'm not exactly sure how that works, or if it changes status or what not).

I'm hoping SC doesn't go independant. I'm not very fond of independent schools, with the exception of Army and Navy. I think any team that does'nt have a large religeous or ethnicity following would struggle with such a move. But I could be wrong. I would love to see Texas go first to see what happens. With the revenue sharing plan set to be equal with the Pac teams, I can see how USC and ucla might be upset about this. LA is the cream of the crop in the west. And is the second biggest TV market in the country. So I can see where things might get a little fuzzy in the future. There has to be a better breakdown of the revenue. I think the bulk of the revenue should be an equal share, with a smaller part of it going to the most televised teams. Maybe 75% equal, 25% un-equal.... If that makes any sense! lol

I think this would go along way into taking away thoughts of going independant.

But going back to the expansion of 16 teams. The more I read about New Mexico, the more I like them. They have really been on the rise academicaly over the last 20 years. The population in Albuquerque is over 800,000 and they come in at about #60 in TV markets (not bad). There stadium is smaller, but still as big as Washington States stadium. And they still have plenty of room to expand it. Making the leap to a bigger and better conferance would attract better recruits, instead of damn near splitting all of the states top prospects with NMSU they would now have a clear advantage (sorry NMSU).

Guest superdeluxe

Great thoughts dude, I did some further reading up on UNM, In terms of academic status, They are tier 3..however they are RUVH, Research University, Very High activity, which I think the deans care more about. Alberqerque is in the 6th fastest growing metro area in the country = More TV sets, and I believe they have a top 50 media market (47?)

I know many people would not want to deal with the headaches of UT and OU, but honestly, those schools are worth the headache, UT delivers you Texas and 6 million TV sets I believe...Gotta make it happen. Tech is good because they have pledged to raise their academics, They control have great foot print in Western Texas, and to go along with UNM..that would be a decent block.

It is all about the TV sets, and who controls them. If UT went indy, I could see this:

Eastern:

Utah

Colorado

Arizona

Arizona State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas Tech

Kansas (or Missouri, if Kansas state is tied into Kansas).

I don't think you swap out UNM for any of the above however, I do see UNM being involved if it went to 18 teams. If UNM was to get in with 16 team model, not sure who the other 3 would be..I would guess OU/OSU and tech? I would prefer Kansas/Missouri to UNM however.

Guest superdeluxe

Oh, and we need either a UT or a Oklahoma in that Eastern division. Otherwise honestly it would be like the big 12 north (better than that but ya know)

I hear whay you're saying...

The way I layed it out was because of all the things that have been sayed the last couple of months. It would seem that Texas played the Big12, and Pac10 as fools. Texas wants way too much. They bring TV sets and a good pedigree, but its what else they bring that bothers me.... GREED! Whoever does end up getting UT is going to have to bend over backwards now and forever to keep them happy. I just hope they go independant, and have everyone from true conferances just simply ignore them. Make them suffer like they make everybody else suffer! HaHa, thats the evil in me coming out!

I don't mind the Oklahoma schools, but how do they rate academicaly? And how many tv sets does Oklahoma State University bring to the table? Missou is a little too far east for my liking, and has expressed way too much interest in the Big10.

So for me UNM represents the plan we used with Arizona back in the day. I just can't settle on that last team. Oklahoma would be the second best option to Texas, but there are several hurdles there to make it fit right. I'm also not sure they are the right kind of school for the Pac (culturaly).

Archived