Cal drops Men's baseball

Guest utenation

Guest utenation

I had heard Cal was in trouble with their budget but it looks like things aren't that good over there.

Men's and women' s Lacrosse and gymnastics to follow. Dropping these programs should save $3-4 million annually.

Story

Thoughts?

Guest Bone Crusher

I feel that it takes some pressure off CU to add baseball because there would be 11 Pac-12 schools doing baseball unless that isn't an issue in college baseball.

The state of Colorado is staring at a $1.1 billion shortage for 2011 or 2012 and it would not be wise for CU to add sports at this moment unless they are fully funded for like 5-10 years.

Guest The Real U

I had heard Cal was in trouble with their budget but it looks like things aren't that good over there.

Men's and women' s Lacrosse and gymnastics to follow. Dropping these programs should save $3-4 million annually.

Story

Thoughts?

I'm surprised that a PAC team would drop Olympic sports.

Guest beastute

It's a sad day for CAL baseball alums...and Title 9 doesn't allow them to try to save the baseball program with donations. I thought with Utah and Colorado coming into the Pac 12 there would be more TV revenue coming in and we would be able to save these sports...but I guess not.

Guest utenation

It's a sad day for CAL baseball alums...and Title 9 doesn't allow them to try to save the baseball program with donations. I thought with Utah and Colorado coming into the Pac 12 there would be more TV revenue coming in and we would be able to save these sports...but I guess not.

Too bad they couldn't hold off 1 more year or a little longer.. I think the bump with TV rev and a CCG game would have helped.

Guest beastute

Too bad they couldn't hold off 1 more year or a little longer.. I think the bump with TV rev and a CCG game would have helped.

Well, they are letting this season take place and then dropping baseball in 2012. Maybe they'll figure something out before then but it doesn't look good.

Guest Chile_Ute

Well, they are letting this season take place and then dropping baseball in 2012. Maybe they'll figure something out before then but it doesn't look good.

Tough decision for sure...but 3-4 million in budget savings is a significant chunk.

Wonder what the cost of keeping baseball and say, women's lacrosse is and cutting the rest?

Guest 520james

terrible. it is not just title ix, the ncaa is too stupid to put a cap on skyrocketing coach's salaries and facilities. I don't want to mention any names but it seems like Oregon is opening up a new building every year now

Not to get too political, but this Cal situation is exactly why Keynesian economic principles can't work. Borrowing tens of millions EACH YEAR from the school just to operate the AD? Yeah, that wasn't going to last.

Sad, but this is just another example of bad leadership in California the last 20 years.

Archived