Washington AD: Thoughts on Revenue Sharing and Divisional alignment

Guest superdeluxe

Guest superdeluxe

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootballblog/2013026698__scott_woodward_everyitg_is.html

REALIGNMENT

Woodward and the rest of the Pac-10 ADs are due to meet in San Francisco next week (Oct. 6-7) to take another step toward resolving some of the issues left over from expansion --- most notably, how to align the divisions and schedule for football.

Woodward said today that "everything is still on the table. It's very fluid right now.''

One scenario gaining some steam, however, is to split into North (UW, WSU, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford) and South (everyone else) divisions, but then schedule via a three-pod system. For instance, UW would be aligned with UW, Oregon and OSU and play each of those three every year. Then, it would play three of the four Califronia schools every, and three of four from the remaining pod (the Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado) each season.

REVENUE SHARING

Woodward said the conference is "very, very close'' to agreeing on a revenue sharing plan.

Essentially, Woodward said, "all your revenue becomes equal share,'' similar to plans already in place in the Big Ten and SEC.

What that would impact the most is TV revenue. Currently, 45 percent of all revenue is shared while 55 percent is based on appearances (meaning the schools that make the most appearances --- or the ones that pay the most --- get the most money). It will also require schools to share gate revenue equally (something where UW will benefit slightly when it comes to the Apple Cup, where UW has been paying more to WSU than it gets in return due to the difference sizes of the stadiums).

I think the pod system and equal revenue sharing is the best for everyone involved.

Guest Bone Crusher

I support the N/S split with equal revenue sharing. I'm looking forward to trading barbs with the NW schools and the occasional ones with the California schools. It'll be fun to do that with the Arizona school fans as well. I couldn't be anymore happier with this Pac-10 move for the Buffs because the Pac-12 fans are much more compatiable with the Buff fans than the Big 12 fans.

I'll toast my Diet Dr. Pepper for a wonderful future in the Pac-12.

Archived