The F'n NCAA and USC - Grudge match or not?

Guest Troylegend2000

Guest Troylegend2000

OK, SO WAS IT HITLER OR STALIN THAT TRIED TO REWRITE HISTORY BY TAKING DOWN THEIR PREDECESSORS PICTURES AND BURNING ANY REFERENCE TO THEM?

What is with the NCAA's deal with this EX-COMMUNICATION of Reggie Bush?

The Feds need to step in on this Amendment 1 of the US Constitution deal,,,NOW!

So what is next? They ban us from talking about Reggie Bush?

The NCAA knows that USC didn't pay, or even know, that Bush (or his family) was getting this money until the investigation. What was USC to do? Before you insert your foot in your mouth; don't give me this, "They should've known" Bullroar.

Answer these questions before flapping your gums.....

Do you know what your employee is doing right now?????? or last night????

Do you know what their family is doing right now????

so you know what your Mom and Dad did last night??? Think again, they might lie to you.

Ridiculous.

I wonder what UNC will get for their guys, yes more than one tat were ineligible since the 2009 season. Let alone the SEC schools that are avid apy for play schools, BAMA, FLA, UGA, now SoCarl. Will the NCAA just look the other way? :unsure:

Thank Me:)

Guest Chile_Ute

All athlete's are the responsibility of their respective institutions. Although USC wasn't bankrolling the Bush family....the fact that someone was, while he was an eligible athlete, makes them a responsible party. Severity of the punishment can be debated.

As far as UNC, same thing....but I'm not holding my breath for any kind of consistency from the NCAA.

Guest The Real U

OK, SO WAS IT HITLER OR STALIN THAT TRIED TO REWRITE HISTORY BY TAKING DOWN THEIR PREDECESSORS PICTURES AND BURNING ANY REFERENCE TO THEM?

What is with the NCAA's deal with this EX-COMMUNICATION of Reggie Bush?

The Feds need to step in on this Amendment 1 of the US Constitution deal,,,NOW!

So what is next? They ban us from talking about Reggie Bush?

The NCAA knows that USC didn't pay, or even know, that Bush (or his family) was getting this money until the investigation. What was USC to do? Before you insert your foot in your mouth; don't give me this, "They should've known" Bullroar.

Answer these questions before flapping your gums.....

Do you know what your employee is doing right now?????? or last night????

Do you know what their family is doing right now????

so you know what your Mom and Dad did last night??? Think again, they might lie to you.

Ridiculous.

I wonder what UNC will get for their guys, yes more than one tat were ineligible since the 2009 season. Let alone the SEC schools that are avid apy for play schools, BAMA, FLA, UGA, now SoCarl. Will the NCAA just look the other way? :unsure:

Thank Me:)

Hasnt USC also made Reggie Bush taboo? they returned the Heisman replica and removed all pictures from my understanding.

I am not going to say anyone knew or could've known (although maybe not because I would hope that if a coach saw a 19 y/o kid roll up in a <insert expensive car> to practice one would have to know it wasnt possible for that kid to afford it.... (seriously, c'mon man). I am sure many other schools are up to the same (looking at you SEC).

I believe that if you run a tight ship things like this wouldnt happen. Maybe USC didnt know, maybe they did and turned the blind eye. Regardless if you have proper checks in place this wouldnt happen and maybe thats what the NCAA is getting at... This is all IMHO

Guest Troylegend2000

Hasnt USC also made Reggie Bush taboo? they returned the Heisman replica and removed all pictures from my understanding.

I am not going to say anyone knew or could've known (although maybe not because I would hope that if a coach saw a 19 y/o kid roll up in a <insert expensive car> to practice one would have to know it wasnt possible for that kid to afford it.... (seriously, c'mon man). I am sure many other schools are up to the same (looking at you SEC).

I believe that if you run a tight ship things like this wouldnt happen. Maybe USC didnt know, maybe they did and turned the blind eye. Regardless if you have proper checks in place this wouldnt happen and maybe thats what the NCAA is getting at... This is all IMHO

The NCAA made USC do the taboo thing. The NCAA are the ones that made it a condition of the probation.

This is what I find ridiculous.

Guest Chile_Ute

The NCAA made USC do the taboo thing. The NCAA are the ones that made it a condition of the probation.

This is what I find ridiculous.

Is there a link showing this? Not to be contrary, but I was under the impression that USC voluntarily "erased" Bush....I saw it more as a proactive play.

Guest Troylegend2000

Is there a link showing this? Not to be contrary, but I was under the impression that USC voluntarily "erased" Bush....I saw it more as a proactive play.

LA times has it today about a mural of ALL of the athletes and coaches from USC that have appeared on the cover of SI. It was taken down and had to have Bush removed from it, I wonder what they covered his face up with?

LA TIMES - "As part of the NCAA's mandate that USC disassociate itself from Reggie Bush, workers removed a mural from the school's sports information office that featured the cover of every Sports Illustrated magazine on which a USC athlete, coach or alum had appeared. A new mural, minus images of Bush, was installed. Similar murals had previously been replaced at the Galen Center, the football coaches' offices and in the basement of Heritage Hall, a school official said."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1001-usc-football-20101001,0,1312884.story

Thank Me:) for doing the gruff work for you.

The NCAA also fined USC more than $200,000.00 and a bunch of other things that will be held against the NCAA in court. USC is just waithing on the appeals process to finish to nail the NCAA.

The Supreme court has already ruled twice against the NCAA for over-reaching its bounds. I can't understand why they didn't remember those occasions.

Guest Chile_Ute

LA times has it today about a mural of ALL of the athletes and coaches from USC that have appeared on the cover of SI. It was taken down and had to have Bush removed from it, I wonder what they covered his face up with?

LA TIMES - "As part of the NCAA's mandate that USC disassociate itself from Reggie Bush, workers removed a mural from the school's sports information office that featured the cover of every Sports Illustrated magazine on which a USC athlete, coach or alum had appeared. A new mural, minus images of Bush, was installed. Similar murals had previously been replaced at the Galen Center, the football coaches' offices and in the basement of Heritage Hall, a school official said."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1001-usc-football-20101001,0,1312884.story

Thank Me:) for doing the gruff work for you.

The NCAA also fined USC more than $200,000.00 and a bunch of other things that will be held against the NCAA in court. USC is just waithing on the appeals process to finish to nail the NCAA.

The Supreme court has already ruled twice against the NCAA for over-reaching its bounds. I can't understand why they didn't remember those occasions.

Appreciate the info. Where I come from, if you state a 'fact" you provide the link, otherwise it's just opinion.

You know a lot more about USC's situation than I would....sorry if it put you out. <_<

Guest Troylegend2000

Appreciate the info. Where I come from, if you state a 'fact" you provide the link, otherswise it's just opinion.

You know a lot more about USC's situation than I would....sorry if it put you out.

Guest Go Devils!

I hate the NCAA coming into a school and saying "this didn't happen." Guess what, it did happen and the NCAA going back in time to rewrite history drives me crazy. Where does it end?

They should enforce the rules, but let's make the penalties occur near the time of the infraction (perhaps the NCAA needs to be a little more vigilant), not years later when you just end up punishing kids who had nothing to do with the problem.

Guest The Real U

I hate the NCAA coming into a school and saying "this didn't happen." Guess what, it did happen and the NCAA going back in time to rewrite history drives me crazy. Where does it end?

They should enforce the rules, but let's make the penalties occur near the time of the infraction (perhaps the NCAA needs to be a little more vigilant), not years later when you just end up punishing kids who had nothing to do with the problem.

That is definitely the worst part about this.... the kids who signed up to play and are now penalized for something so long ago.

Maybe the NCAA should have instilled some sort of over-sight committee instead of punishing the way they did.

Guest Wazzup

Look, I hate USC as much, or maybe more than the next guy... (thats me with the USC coaching decisions lack class thread :P ), but even I think this kind of behavior is ridiculous, as if Bush is a wart to be scrubbed from the otherwise pristine skin of the NCAA or USC. As others have said, punishing a different set of athletes for the transgressions of someone who isn't even part of of the program anymore is just wrong.

Acting like Bush never existed is crazy, stupid and insulting to everyone. Can we all admit that whether or not he was paid by outsiders to attend USC, Bush was still an absolutely amazing, top tier athlete? Trying to scrub him from existance reminds me of the Pharaoh Akhenaten from Egyptian history. After trying to bring Egypt worship of a single God, Akhenaten's name was later scrubbed from almost all historical references, his name erased, crossed out or rubbed off of any stonework, and if/when refered to at all, was merely called "the enemy".

Punishing a set of athletes years later, and different from the ones comitting the transgression brings up a different historical parallel, that of the native Americans. When the Army arrived to retaliate for an act of "native aggression", they just took it out on whoever happened to be nearby... not those who actually carried out the act.

So, the point of all this is... there has to be a better way for the NCAA to punish a University for breaking the rules rather than with the current stupid system of punishing the wrong athletes, and not really punishing the University itself, which is where the responsibility for preventing these kind of actions resides. The answer in my view, is forget the whole, probation, loss of scholarships, no bowl game BS. Rather, the NCAA should confiscate all MONEY that the University earned from whichever sport the cheating came out of.. So Bush got some trivial amount of money to play for USC... ok.... that is going to cost USC all revenue made from football in 2004-2005. Make the check payable to the NCAA, to be distributed to non-cheating teams in some fashion that someone else can determine. You better believe that if the sanctions were financial against the University, Pete Carroll, or any other coach, would have been all over making sure nobody on their team is getting money under the table. Maybe force the coaches involved to give up at least a part of their own salaries as well to make sure that any coaching staff has a personal stake on making sure this kind of thing doesn't happen in a program.

Let Reggie keep his Heisman, and his face on the murals etc. He was there, he was a great player, USC was an awesome team, etc., and no amount of money that he might have received made him "play better". Financial transgressions deserve financial penalties... and the University is the place for those penalties to hit, not a bunch of athletes five years removed from the transgression.

I liked your points Wazzup...

The only way things will ever change going forward, is to have proffesional sports back the NCAA. For instance, if an agent has been found to be dealing with any student athlete illegaly, then he is banned from representing any profesional player. The pro teams have the power to inforce some angles against agents and these types of people. Also if a booster is caught, then he should have to do jail time, and be barred in anyway from the school. If the school is caught, they should be fined incredible ammounts of money, that effects everybody involved like the athletic department and the coach's.

Current student athletes should not be punished for the acts of others 5 or 6 years prior! The NCAA needs to figure this out. They are so far behind the times, that its not even funny. Maybe the NCAA should let boosters and agents make minimal contributions to the schools, where 10% goes to the specific athlete of there choosing and the rest goes to a general pot for the rest of the student athletes. Its a system that can be monitored. While your at it, why not have a branch of your compliance office allow agents to talk to these kids under watchful eyes for an hour a week (or somthing like that).

Things need to change! The NCAA is fighting a losing battle and its only going to get worse. They need to restructure how these kids are dealt with. If proffesional comes together with ameteur, somthing can be worked out...

All my ideas are just a random rough draft so don't shred my post because of them...

I think the quote in my signature sum up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

[/quote

Sorry Chip, but I did'nt even realize there was a quote under your sig pic... I was a little pre-occupied! ;)

Guest Chip4USC

I think the quote in my signature sum up my feelings on the subject pretty well.

Sorry Chip, but I did'nt even realize there was a quote under your sig pic... I was a little pre-occupied! ;)

I know what you mean. Even after I added the quote, I had to look several times before I actually saw it. B)

Archived