Could Air Force be the 16th PAC team?

Guest Chad Sexington

Guest Chad Sexington

Does it make sense on any level to push for AFA to get an invite to the PAC?

If the MWC loses TCU, it won't be the same conference AFA joined back in the day. Would they go Indy like their military bretheren? Or would they make a fine addition as the 16th team in the PAC?

I know they can't compete in basketball (neither, it seems can UTAH...but that's another topic for another day), but they would be great in Football, baseball and most Olympic sports. Could a military academy cut it in the PAC? Maybe as part of a Quad, or Pod if you prefer, with Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas?

Guest Bone Crusher

I support the idea of AFA coming aboard but I suspect AFA will go independent first before joining the Pac-12. Plus I don't know how receptive some of the Pac-12 schools will be to having a military based school in their conference.

Guest The Real U

If the MWC loses TCU, it won't be the same conference AFA joined back in the day. Would they go Indy like their military bretheren? Or would they make a fine addition as the 16th team in the PAC?

I know they can't compete in basketball (neither, it seems can UTAH...but that's another topic for another day), but they would be great in Football, baseball and most Olympic sports. Could a military academy cut it in the PAC? Maybe as part of a Quad, or Pod if you prefer, with Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas?

I dont think AFA brings much to the table.

The so called "national following" is about as big as ByU's national following... If the game is broadcast on the AFN (Armed Forces Network) airmen will probably watch... if they are on duty and are able to view a TV, anyway. I dont think they bring much to the table in any other sports other than football. I think it would be cool to have them in the conference ( if we go to 16) because I think they could surprise some teams early in the season.

Guest superdeluxe

I don't think so, 3 big reasons

1)Double Market penetration, We got our Denver market, Air Force might be a little different since AF might claim interest in other areas

2)Not sure if some of the liberal institutions would agree with letting in a armed services uni in

3)UNM is more attractive.

Guest The Real U

I don't think so, 3 big reasons

1)Double Market penetration, We got our Denver market, Air Force might be a little different since AF might claim interest in other areas

2)Not sure if some of the liberal institutions would agree with letting in a armed services uni in

3)UNM is more attractive.

UNM, really? please explain...

Guest GoBruinz

I'm pretty sure that the Air Force Academy is not a research institution with graduate research programs (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). For that reason alone they would not be invited.

Guest superdeluxe

UNM, really? please explain...

Growing Alberqerque region, lots of tv sets. Market penetration into West Texas, Very High Research rating, Renovated Basketball arena, Decent Stadium. Pretty much other than Alberqerque, ..it is the last media market left that the Pac-12 would not have major footprint into.

Archived