Pac 10 Softball

Guest USC Trojans

Guest USC Trojans

The Pac 10 softball teams are a combined 63 - 8 through week 2 with Washington (8-0) leading the way.

The weather was miserable for the weekend with some games canceled due to the rain and no time to get them in.

The results and standings are in the first page of the Pac 12 Schedules thread.

Baseball started off last weekend.

Stanford took 2 of 3 from Rice in Texas. Rice is a very good baseball team so look out for Stanford this season.

I was disappointed in Oregon dropping 2 of 3 @ Hawaii. Maybe they will lapse some this season after a stellar 2010.

USC took 2 of 3 in their tournament. Beating Missouri and Cal Poly while losing to North Carolina.

Good start for the Trojans.

UCLA also swept San Francisco in their opening series to go 3-0.

Overall Pac 10 baseball was 21-9 in the opening weekend!

Stanford takes on Cal tonight in the first Pac 10 baseball game of the year.

You can follow this game here: Cal @ Stanford

Pepperdine @ UCLA #1

Follow that game here: Pepperdine @ UCLA

USC @ UC Riverside

Follow here: USC @ UC Riverside

Guest USC Trojans

This gametracker is actually pretty nice.

UCLA - 5, Pepperdine - 0 Bottom of the 5th.

Stanford - 3, Cal - 2 Bottom of the 7th.

Guest USC Trojans

Baseball week 2:

#1 - UCLA ripped Pepperdine in a mid week game 9 - 0 then turned around and lost 2 of 3 at home to San Jose St. Kind of a head scratcher when you consider the 2 losses came with Trevor Bauer and Gerrit Cole on the mound. The lone winner was Adam Plutko. Needless to say the Bruins went 2-2 for the week, blah. Not a good sign early from the Bruins. Most of the time in college baseball the 1-2 starters will go Friday and Saturday, the younger arms will throw mid week games and the Sunday nightcap. So if your team is losing the Friday-Saturday games, your pitching is suffering. I have faith the Bruins will get it sorted out during the season.

#23 Arizona took 2 of 3 from the Dirtbags from Long Beach St. The beach has a good baseball program so that was a good road series win for the Wildcats. They split the Friday-Saturday games with the cats winning the Sunday game 7-1. Arizona looks pretty decent.

#9 Arizona St played a home series against the Delaware Blue Hens. You will see several of the eastern teams come west early in the season when the ground is frozen in the east/midwest. The SunDevils took 3 of 4 losing the opener on Friday then taking the other 3 by good margins. The devils are banned from postseason play this year.

#19 Oregon took 2 of 3 from the St Mary's Gaels. Oregon dropped 7 spots after week 1 whee they split a series at Hawaii. Oregon was my selection to win the Pac 10 this year. The ducks sure look average right now.

#12 Stanford has a brutal early schedule. Week 1 they were on the road at Rice where they took 2 of 3 from the owls. This week they opened up with a Pac 10 game vs Cal which they won 3-2 to lead the Pac 10 early. This week the schedule gods had them traveling to Vanderbilt. The Commodores have a solid baseball program where they made the Super Regionals last year. Vandy took 2 of 3 from Stanford this past week winning the Friday-Saturday games. Stanford will contend for a berth in the CWS this year.

UNR USC traveled to Rice this week to get swept. Ouch! Two of the games were by 1 run so improvement is noted for the Trojans. I don't expect them to contend for the title this season but they can and probably will win a few series they shouldn't in the Pac 10 this year.

UNR Washington flat out stinks. The huskies dropped 3 @ Cal St Bakersfield this weekend. Not much to say here except this team might have trouble contending in the Sunset League.

UNR Washington State took both games from the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos this weekend. The Sunday game was canceled due to snow. Washington State is hard to read with the competition they have played so far. The cougars usually due well in the Pac 10 so maybe this season is no different.

UNR Utah dropped 3 @ Arkansas this week. The Utes are still looking for their first win in 2011 but were competitive in razorback territory. They did show some signs of life. Stay tuned on the Ytes.

#30 Cal played a tournament in Florida this week. After dropping the Pac 10 opener to Stanford they traveled to Florida where they swept their 3 games. The beat Coastal Carolina 17 - 0 ( coastal has a good baseball program) North Carolina St 4 - 0 and Kansas St 8 - 1. The Bears look good and I see them around 20-25 next week.

UNR Oregon St is a head scratcher this season, at least to me. I fully expected them to go to the Keiberg bank Classic and sweep this field. Then they lose to Texas A&M Corpus Christi. How? With one game remaining against UT San Antonio on Monday of which I fully expect them to win, but will they?

Archived