UT receives NCAA Notice of Allegations

Guest ERock

The University of Tennessee yesterday received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA regarding the school's men's basketball and football programs.

This Notice results from a 22-month investigation by the NCAA and the University of Tennessee in response to reports of alleged violations reported by the University and from external sources. The University and its Athletics Department have cooperated fully with the NCAA in this matter, and the receipt of the Notice of Allegations signifies the end of the initial review and fact-finding period.

While an examination into potential rules violations by the University of Tennessee baseball program was referenced in the initial Letter of Inquiry from the NCAA, there are no alleged violations by the baseball program listed in this Notice.

The Notice contains the following allegations of violation of NCAA rules against the men's basketball program:

* Impermissible contact with prospective student-athletes resulting from a cumulative total of 96 impermissible phone calls over a 24-month period (Aug. 1, 2007 through July 29, 2009).

* By the head men's basketball coach: impermissible contact with prospective student-athletes during an unofficial visit, acting contrary to the principles of ethical conduct, failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance, and failure to monitor the activities regarding compliance of all assistant coaches within the men's basketball program.

* By the head men's basketball coach and associate head coach: impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete at his high school.

* By the three members of the men's basketball assistant coaching staff: failure to furnish full and complete information relevant to the investigation.

The notice contains the following allegations of violation of NCAA rules against the football program:

* By former members of the football coaching staff: impermissible telephone contact (16 total calls) with prospective student-athletes from Jan. 3-9, 2010.

* By a former assistant football coach: allegations relating to impermissible contacts with prospective student-athletes.

* By a former head football coach: failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the football program and failure to monitor the activities regarding compliance of several assistant coaches have also been made against a former head football coach, and permitting a football recruiting intern to make impermissible contact with high school staff during a recruiting visit.

Additionally, the University is alleged to have failed to monitor the men's basketball coaching staff's telephone contacts with prospective student-athletes and their relatives in order to ensure compliance with NCAA telephone contact legislation (from Aug. 1, 2007 - July 29, 2009).

The University has a deadline of May 21, 2011 to formulate and submit a response to this Notice of Allegations to the NCAA. It is anticipated that the University's appearance before the Committee on Infractions will be during the committee's meeting on June 10-11, 2011.

Because the University and Athletic Department are now in the response phase of this process, there will be no further public comments regarding this matter by any University official until this process is complete.

Guest mattsarz

Kiffin might have sanctions put on him, like Kelvin Sampson did when he left Oklahoma for Indiana, but was sanctioned at Indiana for violations at Oklahoma. Before he messed up at IU too.

Guest MrBug708

Tenn is claiming they told Kif to not go through with it. If they can prove that they did and he did it anyways...Jeff Fisher could very well be the next head coach. Scary thought...

Guest USC Trojans

Tenn is claiming they told Kif to not go through with it. If they can prove that they did and he did it anyways...Jeff Fisher could very well be the next head coach. Scary thought...

Tennessee will plead innocent even though they had multiple sports with infractions.

NCAA will slap their wrist and hammer Kiffin and Ogeron.

That's about par for the course anyway.

Guest MrBug708

Tenn got hit for the basketball already. Like I said, if tenn can prove they told him to stop, its on Kif and not on Tenn for football.

I'm not an SC basher at all but honestly I think they brought this on themselves. Hiring Kiffin right in the middle of Reggie Bush investigation was spitting in the face of the NCAA. He's a great recruiter and his coaching skills are TBD but USC should have never hired him as coach.

Guest USC Trojans

I'm not an SC basher at all but honestly I think they brought this on themselves. Hiring Kiffin right in the middle of Reggie Bush investigation was spitting in the face of the NCAA. He's a great recruiter and his coaching skills are TBD but USC should have never hired him as coach.

That really makes no sense. Why wouldn't they hire Kiffen?

He's familiar with the program. He hasn't made a peep at USC.

The world is full of morons that still think USC paid Reggie Bush to leave USC.

The NCAA needs to grow up and govern the colleges in a fair manner.

UT had violations in 3 different sports. I can almost guarantee the LOIC wont be full force and Kiffin/Ogeron will take the full hit.

All Tennessee has to say is they didn't know, right?

Then the NCAA will tell Kiffin and Ogeron THEY should have known and all will be well in the sec.

Guest MrBug708

Since you are so familiar with Tenn, then why was your previous post full of so many inaccuracies? Did you read anything not from any of the USC sites?

That really makes no sense. Why wouldn't they hire Kiffen?

He's familiar with the program. He hasn't made a peep at USC.

The world is full of morons that still think USC paid Reggie Bush to leave USC.

The NCAA needs to grow up and govern the colleges in a fair manner.

UT had violations in 3 different sports. I can almost guarantee the LOIC wont be full force and Kiffin/Ogeron will take the full hit.

All Tennessee has to say is they didn't know, right?

Then the NCAA will tell Kiffin and Ogeron THEY should have known and all will be well in the sec.

Because Kiffin was already committing minor violations at UT. Yes, he was familiar with the SC program and yes he hasn't made a peep while at SC, he can't afford to at this point. But while he was at UT he has committed violations that is putting him right in the cross hairs of the NCAA. He would have been investigated regardless if he was coaching at SC or not. My point is that they could have avoided more bad press if they hired another coach.

USC didn't pay Reggie Bush. An agent paid the family and unfortunately the NCAA tried to make SC an example even though there are far worse programs out there...pay for play at Auburn come to mind as well as UNC.

From what I've heard, Kiffin is not a favorite of Hayden's and it may just be an opening for Hayden to bring in his type of guy...Fischer would be a great hire.

Guest USC Trojans

Because Kiffin was already committing minor violations at UT. Yes, he was familiar with the SC program and yes he hasn't made a peep while at SC, he can't afford to at this point. But while he was at UT he has committed violations that is putting him right in the cross hairs of the NCAA. He would have been investigated regardless if he was coaching at SC or not. My point is that they could have avoided more bad press if they hired another coach.

USC didn't pay Reggie Bush. An agent paid the family and unfortunately the NCAA tried to make SC an example even though there are far worse programs out there...pay for play at Auburn come to mind as well as UNC.

From what I've heard, Kiffin is not a favorite of Hayden's and it may just be an opening for Hayden to bring in his type of guy...Fischer would be a great hire.

Nice post, we are getting to the meat of the issue.

My point is basically in your second paragraph.

Even though UT has had violations come up in three sports I think the NCAA will make Kiffin the focal point.

I am not claiming innocence for Kiffin, I am just saying this in itself will allow the NCAA and UT to throw Kiffin under the bus and get away with it. As we have seen last summer and in to the 2010 season ALL of the southern teams have received a slap on the wrist or nothing for their involvement in agent issues. For goodness sake UNC had an assistant coach on the payroll. Where is the LOIC in that?

People like to point to Sampson compared to Kiffin. Sampson coached for several years, Kiffin 1 at UT. Kiffin went to USC and in his 1 year there nothing. No peep, no violations, he has taken an active role in preventing these minor violations. Obviously the new regime at USC has greatly helped in that fact. When it all comes down to it the south controls college football. You can see it in the violations that are passively ruled upon versus those that are not.

These reasons in a nut shell are why I feel they will freely pass over UT to a large degree and go after Kiffin.

Guest USC Trojans

Since you are so familiar with Tenn, then why was your previous post full of so many inaccuracies? Did you read anything not from any of the USC sites?

You ask a lot of questions about nothing. How about backing up what you say? Lord knows I have done that in other threads on here. If you know so much, how about posting my inaccuracies so we can discuss them. I am sure some of what I said is incorrect. Just as I know anything that goes on at USC you take the attack of USC side. So maybe the real question is do you research what you say or if USC is getting hammered thats the view you take?

Guest MrBug708

Nice post, we are getting to the meat of the issue.

My point is basically in your second paragraph.

Even though UT has had violations come up in three sports I think the NCAA will make Kiffin the focal point.

I am not claiming innocence for Kiffin, I am just saying this in itself will allow the NCAA and UT to throw Kiffin under the bus and get away with it. As we have seen last summer and in to the 2010 season ALL of the southern teams have received a slap on the wrist or nothing for their involvement in agent issues. For goodness sake UNC had an assistant coach on the payroll. Where is the LOIC in that?

People like to point to Sampson compared to Kiffin. Sampson coached for several years, Kiffin 1 at UT. Kiffin went to USC and in his 1 year there nothing. No peep, no violations, he has taken an active role in preventing these minor violations. Obviously the new regime at USC has greatly helped in that fact. When it all comes down to it the south controls college football. You can see it in the violations that are passively ruled upon versus those that are not.

These reasons in a nut shell are why I feel they will freely pass over UT to a large degree and go after Kiffin.

In the end, Hamilton should be fired and Pearl will be fired from Tennessee. Tennessee will likely be saved because they self-reported some of in the information and have cooperated with the NCAA. If they indeed have information to backup with what they told Kiffin, I can't see how you can harshly punish the football program. In your mind, what should be done to Tennessee football? A year ban from post-season play? Reduction of scholarships?

Guest MrBug708

You ask a lot of questions about nothing. How about backing up what you say? Lord knows I have done that in other threads on here. If you know so much, how about posting my inaccuracies so we can discuss them. I am sure some of what I said is incorrect. Just as I know anything that goes on at USC you take the attack of USC side. So maybe the real question is do you research what you say or if USC is getting hammered thats the view you take?

Lane Kiffin cannot be hit with a LOIC, because he is not the institution. Lane Kiffin would be hit for specific issues. You seem to want to transfer blame to a Tennessee program that implemented steps that were disregarded. Based on your own athletic departments prior disdain for compliance, I can understand your lack of familiarity of what that might actually look like!

# The NCAA alleges Kiffin or his assistant coaches between Jan. 3 and Jan. 9 of 2010 made 16 "impermissible recruiting telephone calls" to three prospects.

# The NCAA alleges Kiffin allowed a recruiting intern, ****** Rubio, "to make in-person, off-campus contacts with high school administrators during a recruiting trip" to St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

# The NCAA alleges Kiffin "failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance within the football program and failed to monitor the activities regarding compliance of several assistant football coaches."

But the big problem for Kiffin -- and the boon for Tennessee -- is this: In both of the alleged violations (the calls and the recruiting visit), Kiffin was told in advance by Tennessee not to do what he ended up doing, according to the NCAA and, of course, Tennessee.

Said the NCAA of the calls: "These calls were placed subsequent to the football staff's receipt of information in December of 2009 from the institution's compliance staff that such telephone calls were impermissible."

Said the NCAA of the trip: "This trip and these contacts occurred after David Blackburn, the institution's director of football operations, informed both Kiffin and Rubio ... that Rubio was not permitted to enter a high school's property while accompanying a football coach on a recruiting trip."

In the end, Hamilton should be fired and Pearl will be fired from Tennessee. Tennessee will likely be saved because they self-reported some of in the information and have cooperated with the NCAA. If they indeed have information to backup with what they told Kiffin, I can't see how you can harshly punish the football program. In your mind, what should be done to Tennessee football? A year ban from post-season play? Reduction of scholarships?

Pearl should have been fired last year. I can't believe they kept him around this long. No doubt Hamilton and Pearl get the axe.

Guest MrBug708

Pearl should have been fired last year. I can't believe they kept him around this long. No doubt Hamilton and Pearl get the axe.

What is interesting about Tennessee's AD is that they have two different AD's. One for the Men and one for the Women.

So I've been out of the loop for the last week or so...

But from this statement it sounds like UT new and did nothing until it was uncovered. Further more (again from this statement) it sounds like UT was planning on using this if it was uncovered. So to me it sounds like that UT was negligent in not self policing its own football staff, and instead are trying to claim the victim role after the fact...

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something? But this does sound like UT is trying to pass the blame on to anybody but the university,,,

Archived