BYU's Davie Kicked off Team

Guest -AC-

Wow if thats true, remind NEVER to attend BYU...

What a boring azz school! Talk about turning future recruits off!

Guest Bone Crusher

You got to applaud the BYU students for at least trying to follow the honor code unless I'm mistaken and that it is widespread in Provostan. This isn't any different from breaking the school rules that lead to your dismissal.

It seems to me that individuals are now slammed by people because they chose to stick to their principles by the general population because it's more about the wins and losses than grooming future leaders.

Guest Bone Crusher

I'm curious to see the Ute fans chime in.

Guest MrBug708

It's not a big secret. I believe Davies himself was LDS, so he knew the score going in. Pretty sure you don't attend BYU for the booze and the women either. Kudos to BYU for sticking to what the believe despite the pressure to sustain a high level team.

Guest ERock

Do you blame the guy for having sex with his girlfriend? How in the hell did they find out also? He would be dumb to go around telling people that he just had sex with his GF when he knows full well that he would be kicked off the team because of the honor code.

Guest Chile_Ute

Word on the street is she's pregnant.

BYU is a private religious institutioin....not sure about the surprise that is an "honor code" violation based on their beliefs. He knew going in growing up in Provo and being LDS. He didn't use his best judgement and violated his contract. Not much more to be said than that.

Apparantly he still has the support of his teammates and school.....he has an opportunity to re-state himself with BYU. Specific steps of that I (nor anyone) will probably never know.

A lot of schools have contracts/expectations.....BYU has theirs spelled out and signed, and more importantly they hold their students accountable for their behavior (and I'm not implying it's good or bad). The fact Davies is an athlete is the only reason you're hearing about it....which is really unfortunate, it really isn't anyone's business except for he and his girlfriend, families and religious institution.

That's my 0.02.

Guest ERock

I heard on the radio coming home today that BYU found out because a Utah student tweeted that Davies had sex with his GF (which happened to be his friend).... A Utah busting out a BYU student??? Hmmmm.

I heard on the radio coming home today that BYU found out because a Utah student tweeted that Davies had sex with his GF (which happened to be his friend).... A Utah busting out a BYU student??? Hmmmm.

Much more likely that a BYU student told on him. There is a rather large segment that attends that believe it is their duty or something to inform on people breaking the HC, and this is encouraged by the administration. The rumor I had heard was his girlfriend is a former BYU student, got pregnant, told a friend that currently attends BYU, and her friend turned her in. Who knows, it's a shame for the kid.

Guest nakedmolerat

Much more likely that a BYU student told on him. There is a rather large segment that attends that believe it is their duty or something to inform on people breaking the HC, and this is encouraged by the administration. The rumor I had heard was his girlfriend is a former BYU student, got pregnant, told a friend that currently attends BYU, and her friend turned her in. Who knows, it's a shame for the kid.

A friend of mine has two daughters that attend BYU. According to them, through him, there are "Honor Code" audit meetings (or whatever they call them) that sound similar to confession. This is where the info came out. Apparently because she is pregnant he felt it wouldn't be able to hide it so he informed them.

Or, maybe he just felt bad about breaking the Honor Code. There is a chance that he is a kid that would do that. Who knows?

Guest uintajack

Having lived in SLC all my life as a non Mormon, yet attended many LDS functions growing up with my friends, Mutual, Scouts, etc., I have always had the attitude of to each his own.

While I have major disagreements on some things about the LDS faith and have been at odds on a lot of issues and LDS people, I also hate seeing Mormon bashing as some kind of sub human species.

The HC is well known to anyone before they sign on to attend BYU, I think if you are unsure you can live up to it, don't go there. Unfortunately, many of these kids are basically brainwashed and pressured by their families to attend BYU.

I did take a recruiting trip to BYU in the mid 70's for baseball, of course back then there were only rumors of this contract that you had to sign to attend BYU. Much different than how openly public it is today. BYU is different now than then, I was told back then if you went on a mission, you would probably not make the BB or Baseball team, which was not a concern to me. Anyway, my decision just came down to I didn't like the church ball atmosphere, but what did I know I was just a dumb 18 yr old.

The sad part about this Davies situation is the mud he and the girl will go through for just breaking an HC violation, not a law.

The thing that really bothers me the most are the parents. If it were my kid and I saw what was happening, I would immediately pull my kid from the school and say thanks but we will go somewhere else to finish our education, before I would put the fate of my kid and his or her reputation in the hands of strangers.

I don't know how religious the kids families are, but I would bet that the girls family probably falls on the side of the church officials making the decisions, maybe Davies family the same, I don't know.

If they ordered Davies be castrated at sun up and the girl stoned to death at downtown Provo square, you would be shocked on how many parents would do nothing about it because the church told them it had to be.

Well ok, maybe a little over dramatic, but get my point.

Guest NorCalCoug

Not really. BYU's primary recruiting base is LDS athletes. There are only 2 non-LDS athletes in BYU's bball program. There's only a fair sized handful in the fball program. Believe it or not, the primary recruiting base for BYU doesn't see the HC as a huge deterrent. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I don't expect too many non-LDS to understand that but it's the way it is. BYU's recruiting situation is very unique and they will always attract a similar recruiting base regardless. Everybody that comes into the program is well versed on what the HC is and what that entails - LDS or non-LDS.

Not really. BYU's primary recruiting base is LDS athletes. There are only 2 non-LDS athletes in BYU's bball program. There's only a fair sized handful in the fball program. Believe it or not, the primary recruiting base for BYU doesn't see the HC as a huge deterrent. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I don't expect too many non-LDS to understand that but it's the way it is. BYU's recruiting situation is very unique and they will always attract a similar recruiting base regardless. Everybody that comes into the program is well versed on what the HC is and what that entails - LDS or non-LDS.

That would be the non-LDS recruits that I was referring too (mostly, but obviously even LDS faith orientated people are not completely by the book). I respect the fact that they live by their beliefs and abide by their codes. But BYU could have certainly handled this differently. Now I know most of the information was leaked, so I'm not going to blame this entirely on BYU. But BYU had to have known this would get out. Now this kid Davies and his pregnant girl friend have their personal lives on display. I wonder what future Cougars and their families think about that?

Guest BeaverDan

...BYU could have certainly handled this differently. Now I know most of the information was leaked, so I'm not going to blame this entirely on BYU. But BYU had to have known this would get out. Now this kid Davies and his pregnant girl friend have their personal lives on display. I wonder what future Cougars and their families think about that?

I don't think that the university did anything but inform the media that a player had been suspended for HC violations but not for having broken any law. It sounds to me that they were trying to protect the reputation of the player the best they could (not breaking the law part). Were they supposed to just not say anything and then field questions at the UNM game like "Hey where is the Davie kid?"

Other people took it upon themselves to speculate just what portion of the HC was violated and to spread rumors. BYU didn't do anything wrong.

It is the nature of college sports that athletes are much higher profile than their non-athlete student peers and whatever they do will be under a microscope. This is true on every campus. The middling student history major gets a dui and nobody knows about it. The starting RB gets a dui and it is discussed ad naseum on boards and in the press. That is just the way it is.

I guarantee you that there are BYU students that suffer the same fate as Davie every semester and no one is the wiser because of confidentiality between the kid and his Bishop. It is too bad that Davie couldn't have had the same consideration but BYU did not do this to him - others did.

"hey we did our best to show you're not a criminal, but you're on your own now."

"thanks for helping BYU basketball. Next time you should keep it in your pants, though."

"ya sorry... Mistakes are prohibited at BYU."

"basically you are a sinner, for breaking our code. in light of this we will give a generic statement that is sure to protect you from the media hounds out there!"

Guest BeaverDan

"hey we did our best to show you're not a criminal, but you're on your own now."

"thanks for helping BYU basketball. Next time you should keep it in your pants, though."

"ya sorry... Mistakes are prohibited at BYU."

"basically you are a sinner, for breaking our code. in light of this we will give a generic statement that is sure to protect you from the media hounds out there!"

How could BYU have handled it any differently? Give him a pass because he was an athlete? That isn't BYU. Take your views of BYU out of it and assume the HC contained an automatic suspension for DUI and that is what he did. Should he be protected from the media hounds for DUI because he is an athlete? nike u would take that approach (and did with the coaches kid - twice) but that just isn't BYU.

Every school has some form of an HC. Do your athletes get a pass when they cheat on exams because they are athletes? The media hounds are going to chase down any athlete that has been suspended for whatever reason.

Archived