BYU's Davie Kicked off Team

Guest -AC-

How could BYU have handled it any differently? Give him a pass because he was an athlete? That isn't BYU. Take your views of BYU out of it and assume the HC contained an automatic suspension for DUI and that is what he did. Should he be protected from the media hounds for DUI because he is an athlete? nike u would take that approach (and did with the coaches kid - twice) but that just isn't BYU.

Every school has some form of an HC. Do your athletes get a pass when they cheat on exams because they are athletes? The media hounds are going to chase down any athlete that has been suspended for whatever reason.

Oh c'mon man...

Over the years you have seen plenty of stories that involved a player breaking team rules that resulted in suspensions. And a lot of the reports come with the 'undisclosed' phrase. In many cases the story just goes away. BYU on the other hand put this kid out there for breaking the honor code and he was kicked off the basketball team with possible expulsion coming. To me putting this out there like this, is just hanging the kid out to dry. The kid did make the mistake, sure. But If I am questioning the tact taken by BYU, I'm sure others are as well. Again I respect BYU's code, but I am seriously questioning the schools ethics in regard to how a they can't support their students and even their LDS own. The kid didn't hurt anybody, or even commit a crime. He did what 99% of all college kids do. If the school can't suspend this kid for undisclosed reasons and forgive him for having sex with his girlfriend, then I personally see BYU in a whole new light...

Maybe I just don't get it...

How could BYU have handled it any differently? Give him a pass because he was an athlete? That isn't BYU. Take your views of BYU out of it and assume the HC contained an automatic suspension for DUI and that is what he did. Should he be protected from the media hounds for DUI because he is an athlete? nike u would take that approach (and did with the coaches kid - twice) but that just isn't BYU.

Every school has some form of an HC. Do your athletes get a pass when they cheat on exams because they are athletes? The media hounds are going to chase down any athlete that has been suspended for whatever reason.

They could have reviewed it, and held off on the punishment for 3-4 weeks. Their season would have been over, and no one outside of Utah would have cared. Of course, the University would have opened itself up to criticism, which it won't do. I actually don't have a big problem with the suspension, even though it is for reasons that seem unreasonable. Players agree to abiding by their HC, and to the penalties that they will receive if they don't before they join the program. Still, it's a shame - seems like a good kid, and I hope this doesn't mess up his future.

They could have reviewed it, and held off on the punishment for 3-4 weeks. Their season would have been over, and no one outside of Utah would have cared. Of course, the University would have opened itself up to criticism, which it won't do. I actually don't have a big problem with the suspension, even though it is for reasons that seem unreasonable. Players agree to abiding by their HC, and to the penalties that they will receive if they don't before they join the program. Still, it's a shame - seems like a good kid, and I hope this doesn't mess up his future.

Good points. And what about his teammates that suffer along with Davies?

I've read up a little on this subject. Harvey Unga was also in violation of the honor code. The funny thing about this is, according to a lot of people Harvey and his girl-friend were pretty much living together and presumably having intercourse for almost a year and a half before he left voluntary after finally being confronted by BYU officials. When Harvey was confronted about it, his girlfriend was already six months pregnant. Oh and by the way, he was confronted in April after BYU's football season was over. By many accounts, it sounds like BYU coaches new for a long time before anything was done about Harvey and his girlfriend...

I should also say that I'm not an expert on what goes on at BYU. But I still don't agree with how BYU handled this...

Guest nakedmolerat

Oh c'mon man...

Over the years you have seen plenty of stories that involved a player breaking team rules that resulted in suspensions. And a lot of the reports come with the 'undisclosed' phrase. In many cases the story just goes away. BYU on the other hand put this kid out there for breaking the honor code and he was kicked off the basketball team with possible expulsion coming. To me putting this out there like this, is just hanging the kid out to dry. The kid did make the mistake, sure. But If I am questioning the tact taken by BYU, I'm sure others are as well. Again I respect BYU's code, but I am seriously questioning the schools ethics in regard to how a they can't support their students and even their LDS own. The kid didn't hurt anybody, or even commit a crime. He did what 99% of all college kids do. If the school can't suspend this kid for undisclosed reasons and forgive him for having sex with his girlfriend, then I personally see BYU in a whole new light...

I have a couple of things here, first in response to the bold segment. I do think that they hung the kid out to dry by revealing the exact breaking of the honor code. But, they also furthered the school's supposed piety as well. That, probably, was more the goal. I would imagine that one thing at BYU which is the same at every other school (especially when soooo many things are ass backwards there, IMO) is that athletes are looked upon as a "higher class" of student, and the "regular" students believe they get special treatment. Now, they see one getting the boot because he broke the honor code, and it makes them steer right back on to the straight and narrow path. Just my guess...

The kid didn't hurt anybody; correct. He didn't commit a crime; correct. But he did break a law- the LAW of chastity is what it is called both in the pages of the honor code and in the LDS church, I'm led to believe. I've never seen the pages or been to a service, but that is what a close friend referred to it as.

-AC-, I agree with you about the tactfulness of how BYU handled this. By all rights, the report should have read "Davies kicked off team for violation of team/university rules." I know when I hear that about almost any other school, having the experience of being on a team and seeing teammates being kicked off for VOTR, my first thought is always drugs or late enough times to meetings in reverse correlation to his star status on the team. BYU, though is one of the schools that if I heard VOTR, I would assume he maybe grew a beard, or did work on a Sunday, but my first thought wouldn't be because he banged his girlfriend.

RAT

Guest NorCalCoug

So much speculation and conjecture of what BYU's stance has been on this. Here is the original press release and the only public stance you will find from BYU (at least prior to the national wave of media attention):

PROVO, Utah (March 1, 2011) — Due to a violation of the BYU Honor Code, Brandon Davies will not represent the university on the men’s basketball team throughout the remainder of the 2010-11 season.

Davies, a sophomore from Provo, Utah, has started 26 of 29 games for the No. 3-ranked Cougars, averaging 11.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 24.9 minutes per game in 2010-11.

BYU does not make public details regarding violations of its Honor Code. Given BYU became aware of this violation yesterday, some decisions regarding Davies’ future on the basketball team and at the university are yet to be determined.

Anything else that has come to light on the topic was not put out there by BYU. I fail to see the "details" from BYU that others are seeing. BYU has no control whatsoever over the media hordes who ran with this. IMO, from a BYU perspective, the Harvey Unga situation was a much bigger deal (BYU is afterall a football school first and foremost) but it didn't get near the attention. If BYU weren't the #3 team in the nation and Jimmer wasn't a serious candidate for NPOY (and all the media attention that has come with that this year for him and the BYU program) then this wouldn't have made anything more than a blip on the radar nationally - if even that.

Archived