Texas BoR agenda

Guest Bone Crusher

Guest Bone Crusher

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/pubomquery$omquery.queryview?P_OM_ID=137695&Z_CHK=33600

A. CALL TO ORDER IN OPEN SESSION

B. RECESS TO EXECUTIVE SESSION, IF NEEDED, PURSUANT TO TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE, CHAPTER 551

Consultation with Attorney Regarding Legal Matters or Pending and/or Contemplated Litigation or Settlement Offers - Section 551.071

1. U. T. Austin: Discussion and appropriate action regarding potential legal issues related to athletic conference membership and contracting

2. U. T. System Board of Regents: Discussion and appropriate action regarding legal issues related to Regents¿ Rules and Regulations, Rule 10403, Sections 9 and 10

C. RECONVENE IN OPEN SESSION FOR ACTION, IF ANY, ON EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEMS AND TO CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING AGENDA ITEMS

1. U. T. Austin: Discussion and appropriate action regarding delegation to act on matters related to athletic conference membership and contracting

2. U. T. Austin: Discussion and appropriate action regarding possible authorization for use of the Frank C. Erwin, Jr. Special Events Center for a concert to benefit victims of the Texas wildfires

D. ADJOURN

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bone Crusher

TexAgs is reporting Texas A&M AND OU are holding a joint press conference on Monday...does that mean OU is SEC bound instead of the other way around?

Guest FountainofUte

TexAgs is reporting Texas A&M AND OU are holding a joint press conference on Monday...does that mean OU is SEC bound instead of the other way around?

Or... they're staying put but laying out new groundwork for an even B12 payout structure. (Yeah right.)

Guest RalphieSpeaks

But notice the "contracting" part...does that mean LHN is going bye-bye?

I am not sure you can simply get rid of the LHN and all reports from Wilner and others suggests that UT refuses to get rid of it. I am still convinced UT is not Pac bound. OU probably is though.

Guest Bone Crusher

Chipper said that the UT BOR meeting is to give the UT president authority on conference affilation.

The Kansas BOR has a regularly scheduled meeting for 09/20. The KS BOR serves both KU and KSU.

Guest superdeluxe

If true a complete 180 from everything that had been coming out of upper campus from Norman.

Guest dunstvangeet

Chatter is saying UT and ND to the Big Ten. LHN would be turned into BTN2

Big Ten Network is jointly owned by Fox (49%) and the Big Ten Conference (51%). Why would they agree to a BTN2 that is owned by ESPN?

Guest Highlander72

Damn you guys trying to suck me into this drama again.

On one hand, I would love to get a shot to pound those f'n Longhorns in a more fair fight. With that being said, anything UT does is poison. If they go to the Big 10, in four years they'll be flirting with the Pac whatever. If they go to the Pac, it will be inversely true. Those longhorns love to graze and the grass is always greener on the other side.

I'm personally hoping the Pac can make a great offer to OU/OSU/Mizzou and KU and complete the Pac 16. Those guys were solid Big 8 members and it would really give the conference some depth. Now it's up to Scott to make the right decisions scheduling this thing. That will be imperative.

Guest Bone Crusher

Due to two Big East schools applying to the ACC...we might as well throw out some projections of where some schools will go. Will the ACC go after KU and perhaps KSU?

Due to two Big East schools applying to the ACC...we might as well throw out some projections of where some schools will go. Will the ACC go after KU and perhaps KSU?

Still too many moving parts. For example, if Texas and Notre Dame go to the B1G, does KU-MU become the B1G target with SYR-PITT gone? Would they still covet Rutgers? I have to think the ACC has a plan for teams 15 and 16. According to our local KU beat writer, people in the "know" are saying Texas and KU are getting the most chatter. If not, who knows?

Guest Bone Crusher

Still too many moving parts. For example, if Texas and Notre Dame go to the B1G, does KU-MU become the B1G target with SYR-PITT gone? Would they still covet Rutgers? I have to think the ACC has a plan for teams 15 and 16. According to our local KU beat writer, people in the "know" are saying Texas and KU are getting the most chatter. If not, who knows?

It amazes me how much of a good feel I had for the Big 12 schools...I was thinking UT and KU to the ACC after saw the "applied" part.

Guest Bone Crusher

Cuse is a founding member of the big East. Does this mean UConn to the Big-10 when that time comes?

UConn doesn't have AAU membership but the B1G didn't make a big deal out of it when Nebraska lost their AAU membership. UConn and Rutgers would be a terrific get....when it comes to TV markets.

Big 12 or 9 is all messed up. No stability, no allegiance to anyone and it feels like a land grab. I have confidence that Scott has his finger on the pulse of all the action and will do the right thing at the right time.

I'm starting to see that Texas is the big whore that we've heard about in the past. If Texas keeps their network, it will set a bad precedence for the major players with huge followings like: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, USC, UCLA, Georgia and LSU. These teams could basically say, "screw the NCAA" and form their own leagues and change the rules.

BYU has one of the bigger followings in the country already and have their own network. They are not currently using it to promote high schools and future recruit but they sure could if they decided.

ESPN has a lot of blame in this as well as Larry Scott. After the Big 12 schools rejected the PAC 10, Larry signed an enormous contract and the jealousy started. Schools realized that tradition is nothing compared to cash. As a Utah fan, I am grateful that Larry and the PAC allowed us in the league so I guess I'm ok with the whole mess.

Guest Bone Crusher

Big 12 or 9 is all messed up. No stability, no allegiance to anyone and it feels like a land grab. I have confidence that Scott has his finger on the pulse of all the action and will do the right thing at the right time.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Pitt-'Cuse move to the ACC caught Scott off guard too.

Guest MrBug708

I don't get why Pitt and Syracuse would jump with no provocation. Granted, the ACC has made raiding the Big East an art form. But I'm surprised these reports aren't paired with Texas reports, if Texas is serious about the ACC and not just using it for leverage with the Pac 12.

I don't get why Pitt and Syracuse would jump with no provocation. Granted, the ACC has made raiding the Big East an art form. But I'm surprised these reports aren't paired with Texas reports, if Texas is serious about the ACC and not just using it for leverage with the Pac 12.

Here's my guess:

ACC has a great academic reputation and is, of course, great basketball. Syracuse and Pitt are basketball schools. I think the ACC is looking at this realignment thing and saying, "If we can corner the major college basketball market with a few good football teams, then we might be able to survive this way, especially if the NCAA Tournament is the next thing 'to go'". Afterall, if these conferences do become super big, what's to stop them from forming their own post season basketball tournament.

Archived