Texas BoR agenda

Guest Bone Crusher

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my guess:

ACC has a great academic reputation and is, of course, great basketball. Syracuse and Pitt are basketball schools. I think the ACC is looking at this realignment thing and saying, "If we can corner the major college basketball market with a few good football teams, then we might be able to survive this way, especially if the NCAA Tournament is the next thing 'to go'". Afterall, if these conferences do become super big, what's to stop them from forming their own post season basketball tournament.

Probably close to the ACC's line of thought. The ACC is looking at the Big East as its best source of expansion but outside West Virginia whom I suspect is looking at a soon to be SEC invite there aren't really any great football programs available to them.

Guest Bone Crusher

Probably close to the ACC's line of thought. The ACC is looking at the Big East as its best source of expansion but outside West Virginia whom I suspect is looking at a soon to be SEC invite there aren't really any great football programs available to them.

Football isn't the same in the ACC like in the SEC.

This means some Big East schools will be available and that alone could save the Big 12.

Um what? Are they going to let all 64 super conference teams into the tournament? That would be asinine

Who knows what they will do. The NCAA contract for the Tournament is worth 11 billion. It floats all of the NCAA operating costs. If you get a consortium with most of the major schools and decide you will make your own tournament, which one are you gonna watch? The NIT died a similar death. Would the Big 4 make it an invite? Who knows? Does the NCAA go bye-bye? Who knows? Right now, the market is focused on football and TV market share. But, if this whole thing is predicated on greed, would you really expect greedy people to just let 11 billion dollars get away from them?

This means some Big East schools will be available and that alone could save the Big 12.

I don't think so. This is the proverbial "waiting for the other shoe to drop" scenario. Texas has already stated it does not view the Big XII as viable if OU decides to go west. If the ACC can accommodate the LHN in some fashion, then the ACC is just as good as the lost Big XII outside of geographic proximity. FSU and Virginia Tech will offer the most "resistance" to Texas football. Its almost as good as the path they had in the Big XII except now they don't have to deal with OU. Academically, the ACC is superior to the Big XII. So, I think the other "shoe" right now, is UT and KU to the ACC.

Now, if the B1G decides they had better move or all their top choices are going to be gone, it could get real messy. But, if the B1G stands pat and the Oklahoma BOR decides it is going to "explore" realignment, or the SEC takes A&M regardless of any veiled lawsuit, then I think Texas and KU are going east.

True but quite a few of the Big East schools would have a hard time getting into the ACC academically. Rutgers and Uconn wouldn't have issues but what about Cincinnati, Louisville or South Florida? Can't see either of those 3 going to the ACC and then you have West Virginia which is just waiting by the phone for the SEC invite.

I believe that if Pitt and Syracuse join the ACC we will see the remaining Big-12 teams join the Big East to form a holding conference for teams that are waiting to join one of the four major conferences when expansion to 16 arrives

Guest MrBug708

From previous Arizona insider

Texas "concessions"

The league will work with UT and ESPN to find a graceful way to blend, dissolve or do whatever to the LHN. ESPN will likely get an expanded stream of games in its first tier rights and a guarantee of Texas in a certain amount of telecasts. Also, the league will help absorb some of LHN's startup costs as they fold it into the Pac 16 Network. So basically, the league allows UT to save face, ESPN gets probably more UT football than the LHN would have been able to provide and the Pac gets to re-up first tier rights fees with both ESPN and FOX while getting even more premium content for its own networks.

TTU is the 16th team

Pods though Texas wants access to SoCal every year, UW would bar this so Texas will settle with pods

PAC-16 office in Texas

A rotating FB championship game and Men's BB Tourney between LA and Dallas. We all know the home site FB championship game is temporary anyways and the Rose Bowl (until Farmers Field is built) and Jerry World will eventually take this game over. Same for the Pac Tourney as nobody has any desire to hold the tourney in places like Utah, Seattle or Oakland. Staples, American Airlines Arena, Vegas and even the Pepsi Center seem to be most on the radar as of now, and there is strong sentiment for an easy east west rotation.

Hoops scheduling is undetermined. Could be either pods or divisions. Look for a strong push for Arizona-UCLA, UCLA-Texas, USC-OU and Arizona-Texas games to be showcased.

Votes will be unanimous with Colorado and Arizona having public outcries but will go with whatever is said

Guest Chad Sexington

PAC-16 office in Texas

PAC moves their offices to Dallas or Austin?

Why?

Nothing wrong with Walnut Creek. I hope that is not true.

EDIT: Or is that a satellite office of some kind? PAC HQ should not be moved. Nor should the Football championship game be moved to JerryWorld.

Phoenix is more central, so is Denver. JerryWorld is not the end-all of stadia.

Why would you have to appease them? Those teams have no where else to go.

Just throwing them a bone, it isn't like this would hurt the conference.

Guest FountainofUte

No chance you guys want to go to 18 or 20 is there?

No, but I'd give my left nut for you and MU to be part of the 16 (assuming we must go there).

Guest West Coast

No chance you guys want to go to 18 or 20 is there?

hey CalHawk, i think it's a given that we all want you guys, especially over Ttech. But I'm curious as to why a Kansas fan would want the Pac over say the SEC, B1G, or ACC

I'dhave my reasoning if I were a KU fan, but my reasoning is basically cuz why would I want to travel to slow college towns in the south when I can go to LA, SF, Seattle, beautiful Oregon, Colorado and SLC.

hey CalHawk, i think it's a given that we all want you guys, especially over Ttech. But I'm curious as to why a Kansas fan would want the Pac over say the SEC, B1G, or ACC

I'dhave my reasoning if I were a KU fan, but my reasoning is basically cuz why would I want to travel to slow college towns in the south when I can go to LA, SF, Seattle, beautiful Oregon, Colorado and SLC.

Sure. KU, obviously, is not a football school, but it absolutely needs a major forum for its basketball. If it doesn't, the basketball program will slide into oblivion. So, KU doesn't really have preferences as much as hopes that somebody asks.

The B1G is the best fit for KU in all phases, but no one knows if the B1G even really wants to expand if Notre Dame isn't a player.

The SEC is a horrible cultural fit for KU, but would accept if invited. Kansas-Kentucky has appeal to basketball fans, but SEC is football 24-7-365

The ACC would be great except that we would be out on an island with no close schools. The hoops would be outstanding, though. I think the ACC is bent on remaining an east coast league.

The PAC offers great everything except for the time zone differences, which I don't think are a huge deal, especially if we have travel partners.

So, from my perspective:

1. B1G

2. PAC

3. ACC

4. SEC

But, the reality is, we'll jump at the first offer, if one comes at all.

Archived