UTAH's Basketball Season is Basically Over

Guest Chad Sexington

Guest Chad Sexington

So now I feel completely disentangled from the MWC. The break now feels very much complete.

Yes, there is still baseball and gymnastics and some little roundball tourney in Vegas, but those are loose ends that will soon be tied up.

I have to say my excitement level and anticipation in joining the PAC12 has me bursting at the seams.

I just can't wait for football season to start and really see if we can compete at this level.

It's truly an honor to be here and I wait with heightened anticipation for what is to come.

PAC12 Uber Alles!

(Screw the Special Education Conference and all it's minions, and the Big10 which we will dominate!)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bone Crusher

We lost a heartbreaker tonight against Texas A&M...I wonder if the Buff season will start to go sour but I think our NCAA chances are gone...the NIT would be a nice way to end the season.

As for the Utes, I still think you need a coaching change since the P12 is still in flux as a basketball conference and some teams that have been so-so will have an chance to enjoy some winning ball for a change while a power could slide to the middle of the pack and we don't know who those teams would be in this case.

Any Ute fans looking forward to jeering a former Ute that will suit up for the black and gold next season?

Guest Chad Sexington

We lost a heartbreaker tonight against Texas A&M...I wonder if the Buff season will start to go sour but I think our NCAA chances are gone...the NIT would be a nice way to end the season.

As for the Utes, I still think you need a coaching change since the P12 is still in flux as a basketball conference and some teams that have been so-so will have an chance to enjoy some winning ball for a change while a power could slide to the middle of the pack and we don't know who those teams would be in this case.

Any Ute fans looking forward to jeering a former Ute that will suit up for the black and gold next season?

No, I don't think the situation at UTAH rests on the shoulders of a junior who was doing everything he could to assume the leadership mantle.

I don't fault Brown for the mess UTAH is in right now. There is a lot about his game to like. If he's in the right situation for him you may have a great player on your hands.

He was loyal to UTAH through some tough times and was basically kicked out by a coach who has now lost any good will he had coming into the season.

I think the AD takes a flamethrower to the basketball program this off-season, for better or worse.

Guest Chad Sexington

I checked ESPN to see why you started this thread and it looks like you got trashed at SDSU last night...OUCH!

This is the lowest low of UTAH basketball in my lifetime. It's really demoralizing right now.

UTAH, a football school...ten years ago who'da thunk it?

Guest Bone Crusher

This is the lowest low of UTAH basketball in my lifetime. It's really demoralizing right now.

UTAH, a football school...ten years ago who'da thunk it?

CU could soon be a basketball school if the football program doesn't turn things around. Still looking forward to Ralphie running at RES and CU's players singing the CU fight song after the Buffs deny the Utes a berth in the P12 CCG.

Guest The Real U

what happened to Utah? Wasn't it just 2 years ago that they seemed to be rolling?

We went to the tourney 2 years ago but that was because we won the MWC tourney... we took a less than graceful exit. We havent been a sold BBALL program for some years...

We went to the tourney 2 years ago but that was because we won the MWC tourney... we took a less than graceful exit. We havent been a sold BBALL program for some years...

To be fair, we tied for the MWC regular season title that year as well, and were a lock to get into the NCAA tourney regardless (I think we ended up as a #4 seed, but lost our opening round game). That was when Boylen was given a contract extension, and it has all fallen apart since that time.

Guest jjones163

I believe Utah will struggle a great deal in basketball in the PaC 12. I see Colorado as a contender for first divsion but not for the title. Washington, Arizona, UCLA and Oregon are recruiting very well and are on the rise. In the case of all but Oregon they are the top 3 teams this year and will all make the NCAA tournament. Arizona has 3 top 100 players and two of the top 30 players in the country coming in and UW and UCLA have great players coming in. All three of our top 3 teams will be better next year so the PaC 12 will be strong. I see Colorado as right behind the leaders with the players they have and will contedn with USC,CAL, Stanford and Oregon for first division status.

Jim

Guest Chad Sexington

Is Utah really that bad? If so, I guess ASU will have company in the basement of the conference. tongue.gif

If there was no Wyoming, then UTAH and TCU would be tied for last in the Mountain West. We have fallen so far it's beyond ridiculous. Two successive coaches who have been completely inept at coaching at this level.

Remember, the MWC includes AirForce as a member. UTAH is worse than Air Force...by a lot.

Guest Bone Crusher

I believe Utah will struggle a great deal in basketball in the PaC 12. I see Colorado as a contender for first divsion but not for the title. Washington, Arizona, UCLA and Oregon are recruiting very well and are on the rise. In the case of all but Oregon they are the top 3 teams this year and will all make the NCAA tournament. Arizona has 3 top 100 players and two of the top 30 players in the country coming in and UW and UCLA have great players coming in. All three of our top 3 teams will be better next year so the PaC 12 will be strong. I see Colorado as right behind the leaders with the players they have and will contedn with USC,CAL, Stanford and Oregon for first division status.

Jim

I agree with your assessment on CU over the long term but we don't know if Burks will be back next season...I believe he is still the leading Big 12 scorer and NBA scouts are still saying he's possibly a lottery pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. Burks have said that if he is a lottery pick, going pro would be difficult to pass up and CU had Richard Roby who was considered in that light when he was still a hot prospect and he never made the move and now he's in the D-League.

Guest Chad Sexington

If scouts are telling a kid that he's a lotto pick then he's dumb to not go.

Go back and finish school in the offseason, but go pro.

A coach owes it to a kid to advise him to go if he's being told that he's a top pick.

Flip side, if he's not being assured that he's a top pick, then the kid is a fool to go early.

Guest jjones163

Derrick Williams of aRizona is projected anywhere from no 1 to no10 in this years draft and yet he is trongly considering coming back to arizona because of the recruits coming in and the desire to go to the Final Four. Sean Elliot came back for his senior year even though he was a lottery projection and took out insurance and ended up the third pick in the draft. It all depends on the needs of the player and the degree which they enjoy college life.

Miles Simon did not go after our National Championship when he owuld have been a lottery pck and dropped to the second round the next year so you never know.

My gues right now is that D WILL will come back unless Arizona goes to the Final Four this year. Also the lock out is looming and lots of lottery picks are going to stay in college.

Jim

Guest MrBug708

I think anything Derrick Williams says should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. It's just common speak. It's like a coach saying they have no interest in that job until they leave the next morning for that same job.

Guest Chad Sexington

Derrick Williams of aRizona is projected anywhere from no 1 to no10 in this years draft and yet he is trongly considering coming back to arizona because of the recruits coming in and the desire to go to the Final Four. Sean Elliot came back for his senior year even though he was a lottery projection and took out insurance and ended up the third pick in the draft. It all depends on the needs of the player and the degree which they enjoy college life.

Miles Simon did not go after our National Championship when he owuld have been a lottery pck and dropped to the second round the next year so you never know.

My gues right now is that D WILL will come back unless Arizona goes to the Final Four this year. Also the lock out is looming and lots of lottery picks are going to stay in college.

Jim

Every rule has exceptions. Doesn't change the fact that if a kid is being told he's a lotto pick, he has to go.

For every Sean Elliot there are a thousand Roby's.

They risk injury or poor play / bad season. The risk is too high to not go.

Guest Bone Crusher

I forgot when the deadline for a kid to declare for the NBA Draft is...I wonder if those kids will have enough information to determine if there will be a lockout or not.

Guest utenation

Is Utah basketball that bad you ask? Well, yes it it.. A complete embarrassment to our school, current conference and future conference..

Our AD has a solid track record for decisions but he has made two bad decisions in a row in hoops.. We were a proud basketball school with 14K+ in attendance for many, many years under Majerus...

Utah fans aren't stupid. We don't support a bad product. We speak with our dollar and our AD is getting the message and has for some years now.. Call us fickle if you want but I refuse to go to that arena and watch garbage... Our coach is a complete joke and he's running a proud tradition into the mud..

As long as I support the AD, my school will get my dollar and I hope at this point, every penny goes to a new coach and the buyout of our second coach in a row.. Roll the dice again Chris, there is nothing to lose at this point. Utah hoops is at the lowest point I can remember as a fan.

The MWC is a better basketball conference than the PAC right now, so that is playing into some of our failure but honestly, this team couldn't beat my high school team today.. So there must be change no matter what conference we go to..

Archived