UTAH's Basketball Season is Basically Over

Guest Chad Sexington

Guest utenation

I believe Utah will struggle a great deal in basketball in the PaC 12. I see Colorado as a contender for first divsion but not for the title. Washington, Arizona, UCLA and Oregon are recruiting very well and are on the rise. In the case of all but Oregon they are the top 3 teams this year and will all make the NCAA tournament. Arizona has 3 top 100 players and two of the top 30 players in the country coming in and UW and UCLA have great players coming in. All three of our top 3 teams will be better next year so the PaC 12 will be strong. I see Colorado as right behind the leaders with the players they have and will contedn with USC,CAL, Stanford and Oregon for first division status.

Jim

Honestly, I haven't seen anything in this conference that would lead me to believe we will struggle more in this conference than in the MWC... The MWC has been a better league overall than the PAC for a couple of years now..

We will struggle because we suck right now, not because we're moving to a stronger conference..

If we're talking football, the PAC is clearly better, every number proves so but basketball is another story.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 520james

To be fair, we tied for the MWC regular season title that year as well, and were a lock to get into the NCAA tourney regardless (I think we ended up as a #4 seed, but lost our opening round game). That was when Boylen was given a contract extension, and it has all fallen apart since that time.

yea, they were a 5 seed, that is a little high to just get in on the last day

Guest MrBug708

Honestly, I haven't seen anything in this conference that would lead me to believe we will struggle more in this conference than in the MWC... The MWC has been a better league overall than the PAC for a couple of years now..

We will struggle because we suck right now, not because we're moving to a stronger conference..

If we're talking football, the PAC is clearly better, every number proves so but basketball is another story.

The PAC-10 should get its mojo back next year. The last two years in the West have been pretty devoid of talent coming into the PAC-10, last year was the worst in recent memory

Guest FountainofUte

Utah basketball is a complete wreck. I didn't see this year's futility coming. Maybe that was just Ute goggles of mine deceiving me. I wasn't expecting much, but I wasn't expecting stagnation or even arguable regression.

Problem is, I'm not sure what a coaching change does. I'm not convinced we can get a game-changer this year.

My feeling is that I'm willing to wait until we can get the right coach, even if that takes another year or two. Dumping Boylen is only part of the equation, and frankly, probably not the biggest part of the equation. If we don't get the right guy, a change would be disastrous. I know some Ute fans don't comprehend this and think that "Any change is an improvement." That's a farce. The wrong hire, even a mediocre one (assuming the last two were bad) will take this program further down.

If Chris Hill, our AD, can get a top-notch candidate next month, bully for him. If not, I think we're better of holding with what we've got rather than hiring "Giacoletti, part III."

Guest uintajack

Utah basketball is a complete wreck. I didn't see this year's futility coming. Maybe that was just Ute goggles of mine deceiving me. I wasn't expecting much, but I wasn't expecting stagnation or even arguable regression.

Problem is, I'm not sure what a coaching change does. I'm not convinced we can get a game-changer this year.

My feeling is that I'm willing to wait until we can get the right coach, even if that takes another year or two. Dumping Boylen is only part of the equation, and frankly, probably not the biggest part of the equation. If we don't get the right guy, a change would be disastrous. I know some Ute fans don't comprehend this and think that "Any change is an improvement." That's a farce. The wrong hire, even a mediocre one (assuming the last two were bad) will take this program further down.

If Chris Hill, our AD, can get a top-notch candidate next month, bully for him. If not, I think we're better of holding with what we've got rather than hiring "Giacoletti, part III."

Good points Fountain. The problem now has really become a Chris Hill problem more than a JB problem IMO. If the situation would be improved or get better just by firing JB, it may have been done at mid season.

If it would have been up to me, I would not have even brought him back for this season.

The only quick solutions I could even see that would help is if the money boosters step up and bail CH out of the 2 failed contracts to balance the books before he can even attempt offering a top coach the job. Even then would be no guarantee the program turns around. If boosters do pony up, the pressure for CH to get it right this time is through the roof.

Two bad hires and paying on 2 dead horses, then laying your neck on the line on a third better work, this is the kind of stuff that gets heat from the top and causes AD's to get fired.

Never thought I would see the day where Utah basketball would find itself in this kind of predicament.

Who would you guys like to hire as a replacement? Do any of the current MWC coaches tickle your fancy (Rose, Kruger, or Alford)? i would think the opportunity to move to what is percieved as a step up in conference power (although that may not be the reality for the past couple of years) would be intriguing.

I have heard a lot of names thrown out, and I agree that change just for changes sake is not the way to go - we need to figure out how to get a top tier guy in here. I would think that Utah's MBB coaching position should be able to draw a top candidate, given the schools basketball tradition, and now the even greater tradition of the conference. We need to be looking long term, and continued deterioration of the program is not an option. I hope Hill gets this right.

Guest Chile_Ute

Who would you guys like to hire as a replacement? Do any of the current MWC coaches tickle your fancy (Rose, Kruger, or Alford)? i would think the opportunity to move to what is percieved as a step up in conference power (although that may not be the reality for the past couple of years) would be intriguing.

I have heard a lot of names thrown out, and I agree that change just for changes sake is not the way to go - we need to figure out how to get a top tier guy in here. I would think that Utah's MBB coaching position should be able to draw a top candidate, given the schools basketball tradition, and now the even greater tradition of the conference. We need to be looking long term, and continued deterioration of the program is not an option. I hope Hill gets this right.

Rose would be a major coup....healthwise I know they say he's good, but cancer relapse is not out of the question. Alford would piss his pants laughing to take the Utah job....if he goes anywhere, it will be his alma mater. Kruger is going to retire in LV....or get fired.

I want long-haul coaching, someone who will be there a long time (provided they're successful). Randy Rahe (Weber) or Tommy Connor (Westminster) I think are logical pursuits for coaches with existing HC experience. Y'all will laugh, but I'd like to see Tim Miles (CSU) in the mix as well.

To be honest though, I don't see anything currently available that will oust Boylen this year---especially if they come on strong the last 2 weeks, awa run deep in the MWCT (not predicting, just saying). I think Boylen is here next year.

Guest utenation

To be honest though, I don't see anything currently available that will oust Boylen this year---especially if they come on strong the last 2 weeks, awa run deep in the MWCT (not predicting, just saying). I think Boylen is here next year.

I think Jimbo's goose was cooked after the Hawaii trip... According to my sources anyways.. We'll see.. When you hear Jim speak in interviews, he has defeat written all over his face even after wins.. It's almost like he knows the axe is coming and is just trying to finish with some pride and respect..

The man has put us further in the hole.. Hill said before the year, failure is not an option in basketball this season.. At this point, we'll be lucky to finish @ .500, which is failure..

Guest Chile_Ute

I think Jimbo's goose was cooked after the Hawaii trip... According to my sources anyways.. We'll see.. When you hear Jim speak in interviews, he has defeat written all over his face even after wins.. It's almost like he knows the axe is coming and is just trying to finish with some pride and respect..

The man has put us further in the hole.. Hill said before the year, failure is not an option in basketball this season.. At this point, we'll be lucky to finish @ .500, which is failure..

Like I've said before, you (awa Muss, Chad, et al) have their finger on the pulse of the hill more than I. Just speculative blabber on my part......I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay one more year, or be canned.

Bottom line, new coach or not, the pit of MBB at the U is going to be a formidable undertaking.

Guest Chile_Ute

Utah should go after Mike Dunlap

Good one, sllipped my mind.

I think Dave Rice could be an interesting candidate as well.....my only hesitation (no, not the BYU connection) is no HC experience. I think Dr. Hill will probably nix anyone as a candidate who hasn't shown growth as a D1 head coach.

Guest uteman1011

Good one, sllipped my mind.

I think Dave Rice could be an interesting candidate as well.....my only hesitation (no, not the BYU connection) is no HC experience. I think Dr. Hill will probably nix anyone as a candidate who hasn't shown growth as a D1 head coach.

I agree, we MUST get someone with HC experience! I wouldn't fault Dr. Hill for taking a guy from the JC ranks but to throw someone with no HC experience would be a LONG shot.

Guest Chile_Ute

I agree, we MUST get someone with HC experience! I wouldn't fault Dr. Hill for taking a guy from the JC ranks but to throw someone with no HC experience would be a LONG shot.

I'll take it a step further and "request" their resume includes D1 experience.....too shaky trying to make a HC shift from the JC ranks to the speed of the MWC/PAC. Just my 0.02.

Guest MussMan

Rose would be a major coup....healthwise I know they say he's good, but cancer relapse is not out of the question. Alford would piss his pants laughing to take the Utah job....if he goes anywhere, it will be his alma mater. Kruger is going to retire in LV....or get fired.

I want long-haul coaching, someone who will be there a long time (provided they're successful). Randy Rahe (Weber) or Tommy Connor (Westminster) I think are logical pursuits for coaches with existing HC experience. Y'all will laugh, but I'd like to see Tim Miles (CSU) in the mix as well.

Hill will keep Boylen here before he hires anyone else without HC experience again. There are much bigger names floating around than any of those three, and he doesn't have room for a third BB coaching mistake.

I'd take Rose in a heart beat, but I don't see him leaving BYU right now.

Guest utenation

Which candidates?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, right.. I doubt Muss will give up that info on this board... Officially, Jim Boylen is still our coach and everything else is rumor...

Guest MrBug708

I'm just curious. I dont think their will be any turnover in the existing PAC-10 ranks, though I think Sendek and Robinson should be fired.

Guest MussMan

I'm just curious. I dont think their will be any turnover in the existing PAC-10 ranks, though I think Sendek and Robinson should be fired.

Some of the guys I'm hearing have expressed interest in our job are current non-PAC-10 "power" conference HC's who have west coast roots. I've heard two names that are interested, but I don't know how high their level of interest is. I'm sure they would come for the right price, but I don't know how much Utah will be able to afford up front.

That's all I'll say for now...

Guest Chile_Ute

Hill will keep Boylen here before he hires anyone else without HC experience again. There are much bigger names floating around than any of those three, and he doesn't have room for a third BB coaching mistake.

I'd take Rose in a heart beat, but I don't see him leaving BYU right now.

Don't disagree at all. That's why I used "pursuits." I don't expect them to be hired over a big gun....but I think Hill will do due diligence in his search (not implying he hasn't before) because the pressure is on for a new hire. Just listing for the sake of listing.

To be honest...if it weren't for you and a few other well placed Utes, I would be in the dark more than I already am. Looking forward to your insights on future changes.

Archived