UTAH's Basketball Season is Basically Over

Guest Chad Sexington

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chile_Ute

Seth Greenberg.

Give away the store for Jamie Dixon.

No offense to us or the PAC12.....but is there any realistic chance he'd leave Pitt (BE) to come back west? Seems like he has Pitt moving in the right direction, in a traditionally powerful BB conference. We may need the store, a few vehicles and the ranch for that draw.

If his sister was still alive, I'd be ok hiring her for our men's team. :D

Guest Chad Sexington

No offense to us or the PAC12.....but is there any realistic chance he'd leave Pitt (BE) to come back west? Seems like he has Pitt moving in the right direction, in a traditionally powerful BB conference. We may need the store, a few vehicles and the ranch for that draw.

If his sister was still alive, I'd be ok hiring her for our men's team. :D

No joke about his sister. She was a great coach too.

Who knows why these guys do things? Maybe he likes the PAC. Maybe he likes the cities or the West in general. Maybe he thinks he can bring talent from the East Coast out west. Maybe Pitt isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe the Big East is too crowded.

Who knows? Money talks. Money isn't everything, I'm sure, but it's a consideration. There are other considerations as well.

Jamie Dixon would be a HUGE get. It that's even possible.

Guest Chile_Ute

No joke about his sister. She was a great coach too.

Who knows why these guys do things? Maybe he likes the PAC. Maybe he likes the cities or the West in general. Maybe he thinks he can bring talent from the East Coast out west. Maybe Pitt isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe the Big East is too crowded.

Who knows? Money talks. Money isn't everything, I'm sure, but it's a consideration. There are other considerations as well.

Jamie Dixon would be a HUGE get. It that's even possible.

No doubt, a lot of factors play into decisions like that....and money definitely doesn't hurt.

Major coup if Dixon were to head the Utes......I'll put it up there with me winning the Powerball.

Guest Chad Sexington

No doubt, a lot of factors play into decisions like that....and money definitely doesn't hurt.

Major coup if Dixon were to head the Utes......I'll put it up there with me winning the Powerball.

Heh-heh. Yeah, probably about the same odds too.

I can dream though...

Guest FountainofUte

Some of the guys I'm hearing have expressed interest in our job are current non-PAC-10 "power" conference HC's who have west coast roots. I've heard two names that are interested, but I don't know how high their level of interest is. I'm sure they would come for the right price, but I don't know how much Utah will be able to afford up front.

That's all I'll say for now...

Thanks, Muss.

To me, that sounds like it has "Trent Johnson" written all over it. Jamie Dixon would be my pipe dream, but I'd be surprised if that's who's being talked about; it would be too good to be true.

Guest MrBug708

Seth Greenberg.

Give away the store for Jamie Dixon.

There you go. I thought it was that, but I wasn't sure. Those were the only two coaches I could think in that second who had West Coast ties. I think Greensburg would jump in a second, guy jumps around like crazy and I think the Utes > VT. I think Jaime Dixon would be a fantastic hire, but if Arizona couldn't get him away from Pitt, I doubt Utah could either. His wife is an SC grad and his dad lives in LA and they couldn't get him to come home either. I'm not sure what would get him back in the west, but the general thought was that as long as Howland was at UCLA, he wouldn't come out here.

Billy Gillespie has a lot of baggage, but I think he can coach. I thought USC should have went after him, not Kevin O'Neil. Utah handled Majerus' "issues" fairly well and lets face it, that's a lot of Utah booze to get him another DUI. I'm also a huge fan of Kerry Keating at Santa Clara, I think he would be great for Utah.

Other coaches with West Coast ties

****** Lavin - I think Utah fans should pass :)

Tony Bennett - He's got a good thing going, but he didnt' show much loyalty to WSU

Jeff Bzdelik - First year at WFU

Doc Sadler - Possibility, but I dont see this as a great move

Buzz Williams - Could see it happening, but the West Coast "ties" is a 4 years stint as CSU's assistant

Jay Wright - A few years at UNLV and would be a homerun hire for UU, but the guy is a Pennsylvania guy and probably can wait for one of the "Elite" schools and take it. (Duke, UCLA, Kentucky, UNC)

Tony Barbee - Wyoming assistant for a year.

Mark Fox - I could see making the switch, but only at Georgia for a year and a half

Trent Johnson - I'd say pass. Dude took the LSU job because he was on the verge of being fired at Stanford

I skipped CUSA as one of the "Big ones", stuck with "BCS" conference teams, but these are the coaches with any sort of West Coast ties, other than what I previously wrote.

Guest jjones163

There is not enough money in the Utah AD to get Jamie Dixon. You cannot afford to pay over 3 million a year for a basketball coach and it would take at least that much to get him. I also doubt you have enough money to pay to land Seth Greenberg but maybe on that one. If you go to North carolina state sites you will find them talking about getting Sean Miller of arizona but forget that as Sean is in the top 10 of pay (tied for 6th) and make over 2 million a year not including bonus money for NcAA appearances, winning 20 or more games, winning more than 25 games, Final Fours etc. This year his contract will exceed 2.5 million a year. NOrth Carolina State does not have that kind of money and neither does Utah. Some of those other coaches listed are real possibilities but the new coach will have a lot of work to do to make Utah competitive again in basketball.

Jim

Guest Chad Sexington

There is not enough money in the Utah AD to get Jamie Dixon. You cannot afford to pay over 3 million a year for a basketball coach and it would take at least that much to get him. I also doubt you have enough money to pay to land Seth Greenberg but maybe on that one. If you go to North carolina state sites you will find them talking about getting Sean Miller of arizona but forget that as Sean is in the top 10 of pay (tied for 6th) and make over 2 million a year not including bonus money for NcAA appearances, winning 20 or more games, winning more than 25 games, Final Fours etc. This year his contract will exceed 2.5 million a year. NOrth Carolina State does not have that kind of money and neither does Utah. Some of those other coaches listed are real possibilities but the new coach will have a lot of work to do to make Utah competitive again in basketball.

Jim

Yeah, I don't think UTAH can possibly go over $1.5mm tops, for the huge home run hire. Kyle Whittingham is due a major raise just to keep him in the same ballpark as most of the rest of the league, and the UTES don't fully participate in the revenue streams from the conference for three more years yet, so...

I think there is a lot of potential for UTAH because of this move. If the right guy could see the potential and be amenable to a back-loaded deal it could work for a bigger name coach. I don't know if any of these guys looks at opportunities in quite that way. Seems coaching would be a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of arrangement. Greenberg could be good. Johnson, not sure about him. Dixon would be a grand slam hire, highly unlikely, highly. I don't know all of the names on the AD's list and who else might be interested. I know the UTES cannot afford a third consecutive dismal hire.

Guest jjones163

If you are right on the 1.5 million maximum you will not land Jamie Dixon who is already making over 2 million at Pitt. The reason Dixon did not go to USC is they were not willing to pay much more than 1 million. Idoubt that you can even get a Seth Greenberg for 1.5 million. This year Sean Miller will make between 2.5 and 2.9 million with all the bonus incentives in his contract. Ben Howland and Romar make around 2.0 million and Sendek is around 1.5. If you want to go big time in basketball and football you will have to pay more than you have in the past.

Jim

Guest Chile_Ute

Although it would be great to get one of these high profile guys....I don't think it's necessary to rebuild the Utah program by hiring a 3 million dollar gun. I think Hill's approach will be assuring they have a lengthy HC resume. Someone who has demonstrated progression and success with each advancement (ie---JC to D1) moreso than a "name."

Maybe I'm high in the night....but if the next coach for Utah hired meets those criteria then I'm game. Never a guarantee with any coaching hire, no matter how big the name, IMO.

Archived