Flight 9525

KUGRDON

On the flip side, if you seek help for mental illness, no matter how transitory (depression while grieving for a lost close one) you will/may have negative implications.  I've had employees turned down for disability insurance because of this.  Moral of the story, I've told people to foot the bill themselves and don't reveal it to their normal health care provider if they think its a transitory condition, that way there is no reporting back in the insurance system.

It's sickening that this advice needs to be given.  When it comes to mental health, we're light years from where we need to be, both institutionally, and with regard to people's everyday attitudes.

Even on a human time scale, medicine has just been recently drug (no pun) out of the dark ages.  Mental health is the last field to become modern if you ask me.  We were lobotomizing people in my grandparent's generation for fuck's sake.

I wouldn't put too much stock in SSRI's and shooters (would like to see the research), these people were likely very disturbed to begin with and doctors probably started doing everything they could.

Archived