Pac-12 Presidents starting to grumble about P12N

PAC MAN

46 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

We are become the Beavers. 

I remember in 2001 and 2005, when the Beavs were constantly shitting the bed, and I could only be aware of it with score crawls on ESPN, or a shitty radio signal.

Now I get to watch it.  Thank you, Pac-12 Network. 

I think.

As someone whose school has a billion non revenue sports, more of them is not the answer. Rethinking the entire concept will prob have to happen. The P12N doesn't just have a revenue problem, it has an expenditures problem. Why? Because of all the useless regional networks. If I had to bet, I'd put money on them getting cut and the Olympic sports going digital only. This of course would mean more regional football and basketball on ESPN2/U, FSI etc 

As a side note, the if I were the President or AD at a P12 school with a smaller budget, and I wanted to grow the department, I'd only add sports that already thrive on the West Coast. E.g all you need is one 50 meter pool and you can add up to 4 sports. And you don't even have to travel outside the conference footprint. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 2:38 PM, Jalapeno said:

I'd be down for a $12.99 monthly stream channel.  $1 to each school and .99 to the conference office or Larry Scott's over-inflated paycheck.

If you get Sling TV, it's either $5 extra or $10 extra for all seven Pac 12 network channels.  I get Sling Orange during College football season and then switch my plan between Sling Blue and Sling Orange depending on whether I want to watch the Warriors or the Bruins.   

For some weird reason, $20 Sling Orange charges $5 extra for Pac 12 network ($25) while on $25 Sling Blue pac 12 network costs $10 extra ($35).  It's actually really easy to modify your plans on their website, especially when the costs are the same, so I just switch Sling Orange with the Pac 12 network to Sling Blue without the Pac 12 network and it's not a big deal.  I find I only want to watch the bowl games for two weeks and I got my fill of Alford's after a couple games (He needs to be fired to definitively end the Ball family era).

On 1/29/2018 at 11:51 AM, Jalapeno said:

They should get rid of three regional channels and just have Pac 12 Northwest, California and Mountain/Arizona.  There isn't enough interesting content for all six and I think it's not unreasonable to think that a California Pac 12 channel would be very popular.

2 hours ago, potrerosf said:

If you get Sling TV, it's either $5 extra or $10 extra for all seven Pac 12 network channels.  I get Sling Orange during College football season and then switch my plan between Sling Blue and Sling Orange depending on whether I want to watch the Warriors or the Bruins.   

For some weird reason, $20 Sling Orange charges $5 extra for Pac 12 network ($25) while on $25 Sling Blue pac 12 network costs $10 extra ($35).  It's actually really easy to modify your plans on their website, especially when the costs are the same, so I just switch Sling Orange with the Pac 12 network to Sling Blue without the Pac 12 network and it's not a big deal.  I find I only want to watch the bowl games for two weeks and I got my fill of Alford's after a couple games (He needs to be fired to definitively end the Ball family era).

I don't recall if there was orange & blue at the time I had Sling TV but I did have the $25 option.  I have no problems with spending $25 solely to be able to watch the Buffs.  Pac-12 App was garbage at times and I haven't bothered to try that app again.

2 hours ago, potrerosf said:

They should get rid of three regional channels and just have Pac 12 Northwest, California and Mountain/Arizona.  There isn't enough interesting content for all six and I think it's not unreasonable to think that a California Pac 12 channel would be very popular.

I would love the Mountain and Arizona schools under one channel and I do not disagree that it should have been those three instead of six regional channels.

Archived