UW @ ASU

win2bfree

We haven't won in Tempe since 2001...

I see the line has gone up to -18.5. I wouldn't touch it and don't know why it's so high. ASU beat UO, lost AT Furd by 10, lost a shootout with TTU 52-45 and lost to a good SDSU by 10. ASU is also coming of a bye (UW gets like  3-4 teams off bye this year) unfuckingbelievable.

I haven't seen much from ASU this year, but seems like they can put up some points and have hung around most games. I'm not too worried about our offense (as long as we don't lean on our kicker), looks like ASU gives up almost 300/200 a game, we should shred them. Defense -will be interesting, wonder if rushing 3 dropping 8 works with them? VS Cal we had 8 sacks, 6 came with a 3 man rush and zero blitzes.Thankful we're on ESPN at 745pm.

1 hour ago, SEA_hick said:

We haven't won in Tempe since 2001...

I see the line has gone up to -18.5. I wouldn't touch it and don't know why it's so high. ASU beat UO, lost AT Furd by 10, lost a shootout with TTU 52-45 and lost to a good SDSU by 10. ASU is also coming of a bye (UW gets like  3-4 teams off bye this year) unfuckingbelievable.

I haven't seen much from ASU this year, but seems like they can put up some points and have hung around most games. I'm not too worried about our offense (as long as we don't lean on our kicker), looks like ASU gives up almost 300/200 a game, we should shred them. Defense -will be interesting, wonder if rushing 3 dropping 8 works with them? VS Cal we had 8 sacks, 6 came with a 3 man rush and zero blitzes.Thankful we're on ESPN at 745pm.

Yeah, i am so thankful we are on ESPN! Hopefully Herbstreit will say a word or two about the huskies! We are so lucky! What a joke. Petros had some great comments on the Petersen v. ESPN kerfuffle in his weekly interview with Softy, in case you have not heard that. 

Great points about ASU. Their resume is solid, and this feels like a trap game to me. If UW isn't focused, they could kick this game. It would be a big win for ASU and might save Graham's job. We will get their best shot. 

Here is a video of our defensive performance against ASU last year. UW stifled Balage and Richard, and got good pressure on Wilkins. Hopefully we see something similar tomorrow. If you want to watch just one highlight, I recommend the one-handed pick in the end zone by Kevin King at about 3:35 into the video. 

Browning has not progressed as a qb.  He peaked early but it sure looks like his ceiling has already happened.  Washington has an amazing defense but if they ever want to take the next step and win a CFP game,  they need a better player with a brighter cieling at qb.

4 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Browning has not progressed as a qb.  He peaked early but it sure looks like his ceiling has already happened.  Washington has an amazing defense but if they ever want to take the next step and win a CFP game,  they need a better player with a brighter cieling at qb.

Admittedly I have not watched much UW. Do you feel his ceiling has been exposed in other games as well? Seems to me he just doesn’t play well in Tempe.

Congrats to ASU. They changed their defensive attack tendencies, confused Browning and OC Smith, and scratched and clawed for 4 quarters and earned that win.

big reality check for UW. The offense has real problems, starting with Browning (holding ball too long, not throwing it away, lack of accuracy), o line problems, lack of playmakers at WR, shit play calling. Everyone involved with the offense needs to clean up their own own performance. The bye should help. 

UW needs to forget all playoff talk and regroup to try to hold on to the north. Stanford looks like the best team at the moment and is very much still in it.

12 minutes ago, row Z said:

Congrats to ASU. They changed their defensive attack tendencies, confused Browning and OC Smith, and scratched and clawed for 4 quarters and earned that win.

big reality check for UW. The offense has real problems, starting with Browning (holding ball too long, not throwing it away, lack of accuracy), o line problems, lack of playmakers at WR, shit play calling. Everyone involved with the offense needs to clean up their own own performance. The bye should help. 

UW needs to forget all playoff talk and regroup to try to hold on to the north. Stanford looks like the best team at the moment and is very much still in it.

To be fair, ASU changed their attack tendencies in the off season. This is the first year that Graham has allowed his DC to actually run the D and call the plays (this is Phil Bennett's first year here). Bennett has not been nearly as blitz happy. They have been restrained all season on that front. More of a bend but don't break type of defense. The last time Browning was in Tempe they blitzed the hell out of him, so maybe that was still in the back of their minds, but the evidence was there from ASU's prior 5 games that this team doesn't blitz as much as they used to.

27 minutes ago, Scummy Dick Douglas said:

Admittedly I have not watched much UW. Do you feel his ceiling has been exposed in other games as well? Seems to me he just doesn’t play well in Tempe.

He looks like the exact same qb but with worse skill players.  His yard per attempt, TD/int ratio, and qb rating are all down from last year.  The crazy thing is UW still hasn't really played a good team yet.  By far their 3 toughest games against better defenses are all to come.  They are also fortunate that they don't play USC and get a wounded Oregon team. 

Browning is also really really bad against pressure and that limits his ceiling.  

37 minutes ago, Scummy Dick Douglas said:

To be fair, ASU changed their attack tendencies in the off season. This is the first year that Graham has allowed his DC to actually run the D and call the plays (this is Phil Bennett's first year here). Bennett has not been nearly as blitz happy. They have been restrained all season on that front. More of a bend but don't break type of defense. The last time Browning was in Tempe they blitzed the hell out of him, so maybe that was still in the back of their minds, but the evidence was there from ASU's prior 5 games that this team doesn't blitz as much as they used to.

Interesting. Sounds like more questions need to be asked of OC Smith. Why didn’t he account for ASU’s defensive changes going in to the game, and why didn’t he adjust? It seems like UW did not run enough. The yards per carry were decent and Browning was playing with his head up his ass. Hey, maybe hand it off a couple extra times? 

37 minutes ago, All Hail said:

He looks like the exact same qb but with worse skill players.  His yard per attempt, TD/int ratio, and qb rating are all down from last year.  The crazy thing is UW still hasn't really played a good team yet.  By far their 3 toughest games against better defenses are all to come.  They are also fortunate that they don't play USC and get a wounded Oregon team. 

Browning is also really really bad against pressure and that limits his ceiling.  

Agree with most of this. Browning sucked last night, and has physical limitations that will probably keep him from being an NFL qb. I am most concerned with him holding the ball too long and trying to scramble out of problems like he is Russell Wilson. 

In his limited defense, he had shoulder surgery in the off season and I think that has effected his accuracy slightly. He air mailed a 3d down throw over Pettis or Bryant’s head last night that was uncharacteristic. Same with throw to Bryant in the end zone (slightly high). Also, he lost his left tackle last night and the drop off to the next guy is significant.

Archived