‘19 Championship Game: Utah/Oregon

glduck

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:48 AM, Jalapeno said:

Utah deserves a NY6 game.

Where?  In what bowl? 

Not the Fiesta or Peach - because those are CFP playoff bowls.

Sugar?  SEC runner-up v. Big12 runner-up

Rose?  Oregon v. B1G runner-up

Orange?  SEC v. ACC/B1G

Cotton?  At-large v. G5 At-large.  This is their only option, and I don't see them bumping Alabama or Wisconsin favor of Utah.

10 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Very impressive Ducks, congrats

Very impressive?  Herbert and the Ducks were average - at best.  This game should have been 35-0 at the half.  If Utah had been playing anyone else in the T15, it would have been 35-0 at the half.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:24 AM, glduck said:

I have no idea how it’ll shake out or who’s up for what, but I hope Utah snags a NY6 bid.

Their only option is an at-large big vs. the top G5 team (Memphis perhaps), and to snag that spot they have to beat out Alabama or Wisconsin.

I don't see it happening.

1 hour ago, HLB said:

I said in September that Herbert was not the Heisman-caliber QB he was pumped up to be, nor did I see him as a future NFL 1st-round pick - to which everyone on these threads blasted me, called me names, and told me I didn't know what I was talking about …. He's not always accurate with his passes; his velocity needs to be stronger; his footwork is not good; and he's got cinder blocks for feet.  He greatly under impressed me in the Auburn game, and did nothing to change that opinion, all season long.

Link?

Crazy thought:  Is Oregon still alive for CFP?

If OSU, LSU, Virginia, and Baylor win then there would be two spots for 12-1 Clemson(non champion), 12-1 Baylor, and 11-2 Oregon.  And what if Baylor wins on a fluke (e.g. like the Rams winning the NFC title on a missed PI)?  I think Clemson would be the only non-champ in the conversation (no UF, UGA, PSU, or Bama) and would likely get in.  The Oregon loss to Auburn is the most impressive result for both non-conference, so that would mitigate the 2 losses vs 1 for Baylor.   I think Baylor's one loss (which they would avenge) would be better than Oregon's other loss (to ASU).  I think the other intangibles favor Oregon. Oregon has been more eyetest worthy for most of the season, they would have the "sexier" brand and would give the committee a chance to keep the West Coast involved.

This scenario might not even require a Virginia victory, but it would help force the committee to reevualuate things thus opening the door more.

16 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

If OSU, LSU, Virginia, and Baylor win then there would be two spots for 12-1 Clemson(non champion), 12-1 Baylor, and 11-2 Oregon.  And what if Baylor wins on a fluke (e.g. like the Rams winning the NFC title on a missed PI)?  I think Clemson would be the only non-champ in the conversation (no UF, UGA, PSU, or Bama) and would likely get in.  The Oregon loss to Auburn is the most impressive result for both non-conference, so that would mitigate the 2 losses vs 1 for Baylor.   I think Baylor's one loss (which they would avenge) would be better than Oregon's other loss (to ASU).  I think the other intangibles favor Oregon. Oregon has been more eyetest worthy for most of the season, they would have the "sexier" brand and would give the committee a chance to keep the West Coast involved.

This scenario might not even require a Virginia victory, but it would help force the committee to reevualuate things thus opening the door more.

Ducks would be in the playoff mix had they played Central Michigan instead of Auburn.  Scheduling tough OOC games is stupid for any Pac12 team, and next year the Ducks open at home against Ohio State.  We really need an 8-team playoff with all P5 champions getting a bid and three at-large teams.  That way an Oregon won’t get punished for playing an Auburn close and losing in the last minute.  UDub made the playoff playing freaking Rutgers as their big OOC game a few years ago.

1 hour ago, MrBug708 said:

Link?

It's on these threads, back in September, after the Auburn game.

I don't have time right now to go look it up, but I will (as some of my other comments that relate to the outcome of this game) in the days ahead.

2 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Ducks would be in the playoff mix had they played Central Michigan instead of Auburn.  Scheduling tough OOC games is stupid for any Pac12 team, and next year the Ducks open at home against Ohio State.  We really need an 8-team playoff with all P5 champions getting a bid and three at-large teams.

A weak OOC would have worked against them.  The only way to make the playoffs is to win the OOC games against tough opponents - which the PAC12 has struggled to do for several years.

The playoff is fine.  An 8-team playoff would only give teams who "fail" to get a mulligan, or a second chance.  And automatically advancing conference champions makes OOC play irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Ducks would be in the playoff mix had they played Central Michigan instead of Auburn.  Scheduling tough OOC games is stupid for any Pac12 team, and next year the Ducks open at home against Ohio State.  We really need an 8-team playoff with all P5 champions getting a bid and three at-large teams.

I think that this is the year the committee is going to take a hard look at rewarding schools for playing Stephen F. Austin, UTSA, and Rice.  I think this could get interesting if Baylor doesn't look great against Oklahoma but wins.  Would be odd to have the first two loss team come from the PAC 12.

17 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

Not a chance.

If Baylor beats Oklahoma, Baylor is in.  And Clemson is going to win big over Virginia.

If Oregon had beaten Auburn, they would have had the fourth spot over the Big12 Champion - regardless.  As I said back in September, the PAC12 needs to win OOC games against teams that matter, in order to advance into the CFP.

2 minutes ago, HLB said:

A weak OOC would have worked against them.  The only way to make the playoffs is to win the OOC games against tough opponents - which the PAC12 has struggled to do for several years.

The playoff is fine.  An 8-team playoff would only give teams who "fail" to get a mulligan, or a second chance.  And automatically advancing conference champions makes OOC play irrelevant.

Washington proved your theory incorrect in 2017.  It’s dumb to play decent OOC teams in the current format.  

4 minutes ago, win2bfree said:

I think that this is the year the committee is going to take a hard look at rewarding schools for playing Stephen F. Austin, UTSA, and Rice.  I think this could get interesting if Baylor doesn't look great against Oklahoma but wins.  Would be odd to have the first two loss team come from the PAC 12.

After watching Oregon dominate a very good Utah team I’d put the Ducks up against anyone in the country and it would be a decent game.  They controlled the line of scrimmage.  I also got flack here for saying that the Ducks were flat against an awful Oregon State because that game meant nothing for them after the loss in Tempe.

2 minutes ago, HLB said:

Washington was undefeated in 2017.  That's why they got in.

If Oregon played a CMU instead of Auburn, but finished as a 1-loss PAC12 Champion, their OOC schedule would hurt them.  But if Oregon had played CMU instead of Auburn, and finished 13-0, and PAC12 Champion, they would have been in, like Washington was in 2017.

UW lost to Sam Darnold and USC in 2016 (the year they made the playoffs).

Archived