future football OOC

azgreg

On 5/21/2020 at 3:20 PM, Scscsc89 said:

Do you know anyone who went to the away game?    I've always wanted to check out Memphis, which appears to be where you'd fly in & out of.

Yes, although I don’t know myself as well as I would like.

My brother and I flew into Memphis on Thursday night so we could do the whole Beale Street thing — it was fun.  Great bbq and music scene.  Kinda like a combination of Frenchmen street (classy, serious musicians) and Bourbon Street if you’ve been to New Orleans.  

Mississippi is terrible with few if any redeeming qualities but the Grove is really cool.  They definitely have The most impressive pregame atmosphere I’ve ever experienced and that alone made the trip worth it.  Handy Andy’s and B’s were also really fun places to hit up after the game.  Very good bbq. 

I was surprised at how few “dirty hippy communist anti American” comments I received.  Their fans were super curious about Berkeley and California in general.  Many of them think Hollywood is just a short drive away from Berkeley and that everyone here has self-driving cars.  They were very curious about what I thought about their campus and atmosphere as well as if we were being treated well.  

They were all 100% sure they were going to win and that Cal would not be able to handle the atmosphere.  Maybe it’s because Cal isn’t the sexiest opponent or because Cal got off to a good start but I was surprised at how tame the crowd was.  Definitely nothing to write home about.  

Archived