future football OOC

azgreg

It's an interesting stat, but it's a kinda weird. Obviously, this is about scheduled OOC games, right? And they're obviously not counting BYU as P5.

First, I think the Wisconsin stat is wrong,  By my count, since 2005, the Badgers have played nine FCS teams and nine P5 OOC opponents. Washington has also played nine FCS opponents over that period, but they've played 15 P5 teams, (including Notre Dame and Rutgers, but not counting BYU - or BSU for that matter).

Oregon has played 12 FCS teams over the same period, the same number as Wazzu, but has also played 14 P5 opponents, to Wazzu's nine.

Two things seem to be at work:

1) Schools that have a tough time scheduling home-and-home series (Tech, WSU & OSU) have harder time getting P5 games.

2) Schools in regions where there are more G5 schools tend to load up on them. 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 2:08 PM, win2bfree said:

A&M and Wisconsin are two schools that I would not have thought would be on this list.

Most teams schedule one FCS OOC opponent and one P5 OOC opponent.  If a team such as Ole Miss, Wisconsin, etc. has "one year" where they don't schedule an P5 OOC opponent, then that team will register more FCS OOC opponents and P5 OOC opponents over a period of time.

It's not as if the teams on this list are regularly scheduling FCS opponents and only occasionally scheduling P5 OOC opponents (as is being implied).

11 minutes ago, HLB said:

Most teams schedule one FCS OOC opponent and one P5 OOC opponent.  If a team such as Ole Miss, Wisconsin, etc. has "one year" where they don't schedule an P5 OOC opponent, then that team will register more FCS OOC opponents and P5 OOC opponents over a period of time.

great job GIF by Captain Obvious

ENiXaSXXsAAcaQO?format=jpg&name=small

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

Pretty weak to say you haven’t played in FCS school when they played Idaho.  The distinction is what?

Idaho was a *cough* FBS school when they played the Trojans. It's easier to avoid FCS opponents when you only have to schedule two OOC games per year.

Before the Sark era introduced all the cupcakes, UW fans always said they had never played an FCS team, but they had in fact played Hawaii in 1973, when the 'Bows were I-AA.

On 2/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, Quack 12 said:

Idaho was a *cough* FBS school when they played the Trojans. It's easier to avoid FCS opponents when you only have to schedule two OOC games per year.

Before the Sark era introduced all the cupcakes, UW fans always said they had never played an FCS team, but they had in fact played Hawaii in 1973, when the 'Bows were I-AA.

I read that ALL THE TIME from husky fans. It became so annoying.  2004-2013 was awesome. 

2 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

less shocking is that he’s trying to placate USC fans who are less than happy with his decision to keep Helton on.

Well Bohn was the one who signed Dan Hawkins to a contract extension after a 6-7 season which resulted in an Independence Bowl loss to Nick Saban and 'Bama.  He was a YES man to CU's higher ups...perhaps he hasn't changed one bit.

I might have some empathy for USC fans in this case.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, All Hail said:

We swept those noobs despite them having AJ Brown and DJ Metcalf as their starting WRs.  

Do you know anyone who went to the away game?    I've always wanted to check out Memphis, which appears to be where you'd fly in & out of.

Archived