Liberal America

PapaG

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Orange said:

hahahahahahaa

let's take a poll, shitbird.

Yes, you do need the validation of your Pac12 Squad followers to feel somewhat average about yourself.  I’ve pointed that out before to you.  Take your useless poll if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Yo @CRBuff

Large corporate businesses such as WalMart and McDonald’s don’t mind the minimum wage so much as it helps them defeat rival local businesses.

The huge corporations can reduce hours with technology investments (kiosk ordering at Starbucks as an example) and can better absorb the costs, so they do fine. It’s the small business that gets crushed because of their thin profit margins, and that is OK with Walmart and McDonalds.  Who do you think funds these politicians?

Then people on the left whine about the local places closing and blame it on the entrepreneur.  We are a nation of morons.

1 minute ago, PapaG said:

@CRBuff

Large corporate businesses such as WalMart and McDonald’s don’t mind the minimum wage so much as it helps them. They can reduce hours with technology investments and can better absorb the costs, so they do fine. It’s the small business that gets crushed, and that is OK with Walmart and McDonalds.

Then people on the left whine  about the local places closing.

You are not wrong there, but it’s a much more complicated issue than the minimum wage hike.  The change in our economy is pretty significant.  The amazons of the world are shutting a lot of places down.

that doesn’t mean a living wage isn’t reasonable.

43 minutes ago, CRBuff said:

You are not wrong there, but it’s a much more complicated issue than the minimum wage hike.  The change in our economy is pretty significant.  The amazons of the world are shutting a lot of places down.

that doesn’t mean a living wage isn’t reasonable.

The market in a healthy world decides a living wage.  Closing down local businesses by pricing them out of the marketplace due to governmental mandates is not how things are supposed to be.   These are global companies benefiting from local wage laws in the US and the liberals who vote for it have no idea what it means.  It’s sad to me that people vote against their own interests.

29 minutes ago, PapaG said:

The market in a healthy world decides a living wage.  Closing down local businesses by pricing them out of the marketplace due to governmental mandates is not how things are supposed to be.   These are global companies benefiting from local wage laws in bog US and the liberals who vote for it have no idea what it means.  It’s sad to me that people vote against their own interests.

There are all kinds of examples of the market needing regulations, some of which I’m sure you support.  Again, I’d suggest some businesses aren’t particularly healthy in the first place.  And will the market bridge the gap between a living wage and poverty?  Probably not.

id suggest a minimum wage is a human thing, not a market thing.

1 minute ago, CRBuff said:

There are all kinds of examples of the market needing regulations, some of which I’m sure you support.  Again, I’d suggest some businesses aren’t particularly healthy in the first place.  And will the market bridge the gap between a living wage and poverty?  Probably not.

id suggest a minimum wage is a human thing, not a market thing.

I still would like to know how a “livable” minimum wage helps out the local businesses they say they care about over the corporate monsters they protest.  Are they idiots?  It baffles me how they vote for they very things they protest against.  

33 minutes ago, PapaG said:

The market in a healthy world decides a living wage.  Closing down local businesses by pricing them out of the marketplace due to governmental mandates is not how things are supposed to be.   These are global companies benefiting from local wage laws in bog US and the liberals who vote for it have no idea what it means.  It’s sad to me that people vote against their own interests.

These global companies can certainly afford a minimum wage that's a living wage, PTO, family leave, etc.  They should be required to supply that, at a minimum. How they reward stronger employees from there is their prerogative.  This has literally nothing to do with smaller businesses being priced out of the market.  Federal regulations don't even usually apply to such businesses anyway.  You need 50+ employees to fall under the FMLA, for example.

Indeed, it's sad that people vote for the GOP, which has consistently backed the failed theory of trickle-down economics, when they're doing worse and worse under those economic policies, every year.

I still would like to know how a “livable” minimum wage helps out the local businesses they say they care about over the corporate monsters they protest.  Are they idiots?  It baffles me how they vote for they very things they protest against.  

It isn’t one or the other.  You can support a minimum wage and small business.  You are fully aware of that yet keep saying the real boogey man is a wage increase for the people that need it most.

Ultimately, i do think many small businesses will go down, but not because of minimum wage.

Just now, CRBuff said:

It isn’t one or the other.  You can support a minimum wage and small business.  You are fully aware of that yet keep saying the real boogey man is a wage increase for the people that need it most.

Ultimately, i do think many small businesses will go down, but not because of minimum wage.

It's the tried-and-true republican gospel.  "Hey, look out, poor guy, that slightly less-poor guy is trying to screw you!" -- Rich Guy.

Just now, Orange said:

These global companies can certainly afford a minimum wage that's a living wage, PTO, family leave, etc.  They should be required to supply that, at a minimum. How they reward stronger employees from there is their prerogative.  This has literally nothing to do with smaller businesses being priced out of the market.  Federal regulations don't even usually apply to such businesses anyway.  You need 50+ employees to fall under the FMLA, for example.

Indeed, it's sad that people vote for the GOP, which has consistently backed the failed theory of trickle-down economics, when they're doing worse and worse under those economic policies, every year.

I never said anything about federal policies.  It’s the local governments’ laws that are raising minimum wages to benefit the box store companies that get cheap goods from Asia to sell at a huge profit that can absorb these artificial wage floors.

Trump is literally trying to equalize the world and raise up things for everyone while people like you protect the Chinese dictatorship.  You do know who is getting rich at an abnormal rate compared to the rest of society, right.

We’ve reached a point where Trump has made the Left pro-China and anti-US die to their leaders and their income.

Just now, PapaG said:

You do know who is getting rich at an abnormal rate compared to the rest of society, right.

Yes, the monied class.  Hedge fund CEOs and banks.  The same people Trump is cutting taxes for, while also cutting services for the poor.  And you cheerlead your own demise, the whole way.

#RUBE

2 minutes ago, CRBuff said:

Who decided over $16/hour is the appropriate minimum wage and voted to pass it?  Why not $20?  Why not $100?  It certainly wasn’t the small business owners in Seattle.

Keep your blindfolds on.  Reality is bright and thrilling.

Who decided over $16/hour is the appropriate minimum wage and voted to pass it?  Why not $20?  Why not $100?  It certainly wasn’t the small business owners in Seattle.

Who says the small business owners need to agree to every rule and regulation passed by government?  That's literally a corportocracy.  

Why not $100?  Because that's too much, you unbelievable fucking retard.  But parrot another line from a dusty-ass 70-year-old lining up for a trump rally.

2 minutes ago, Orange said:

Yes, the monied class.  Hedge fund CEOs and banks.  The same people Trump is cutting taxes for, while also cutting services for the poor.  And you cheerlead your own demise, the whole way.

#RUBE

Trump cut my taxes too.  Plus the # think shows what a simpleton you are, Beavs78.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

Who says the small business owners need to agree to every rule and regulation passed by government?  That's literally a corportocracy.  

Why not $100?  Because that's too much, you unbelievable fucking retard.  But parrot another line from a dusty-ass 70-year-old lining up for a trump rally.

Why is $100 too much?  Why is over $16 the floor as decided by the Seattle City Council?  Go Team Red Robin!  That’s your side now.

Trump cut my taxes too.  Plus the # think shows what a simpleton you are, Beavs78.

It wasn't just S-corp distributions.  You have NO IDEA how many people's dicks he sucked with that tax bill, and how he did it on the backs of the middle class.  Do you have $11 million for your estate when you croak?  Doubt it.  

Why is $100 too much?  Why is over $16 the floor as decided by the Seattle City Council?  Go Team Red Robin!  That’s your side now.

Because unlike you, the people who decided this think for a living.  It's indexed to the cost of living and purchasing power in a given locale, dumbshit.

15 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Now you are just moving goalposts.  So what, you would like to have people working for free?  See, kind of a silly argument.

and I’m sure some small business owners did vote for this, even though you want to lump them all in.  Ultimately the voters passed this (ultimately), and I’m sure you wouldn’t want to override their voices/votes.

1 hour ago, CRBuff said:

Couple of things here.  First, the restaurant industry in and of itself is really volatile.  So a restaurant closing, while unfortunate, is hardly news.  From a lending standpoint they are incredibly risky.  

And from where I sit, the wage gaps just keeps increasing.  Someone is going to take home that salary in many cases, and over the last two decades it has been executives only.  Is the problem really the people make minimum wage?

finally, this is the most amazing economy in the history of our country (not my words).  Shouldn’t relatively healthy companies be able to easily absorb this?

I don't disagree with the restaurant industry being volatile.  An IHOP near my home closed but it was because there were at least a few other IHOPs nearby.  Those food trucks are good ways to start a restaurant and once the credit card data points out where a good number of your customers are located at, you would be able to look at where to put the fixed restaurant location.  Catering is also taking off and I personally know one person who does that at home in his garage.  No need to worry about making payments to a commercial building which is decidedly more expensive than residential buildings so lending for those type of businesses should be easier but there's a lot of paperwork to be done.  Add that with the ability to have your food delivered and the restaurant industry is just undergoing a big change.  I also decided to eat at home far more often because I'm seeing even fast food restaurants not having sufficient people to be able to service everyone to a satisfactory level and I am hardly the only one who came to that conclusion.  A restaurant closes and there's a new opportunity for someone.  Amazon is hiring a bunch of people which replaces those lost restaurant jobs.  If the supply of restaurant workers declines, the costs go up for hiring those restaurant workers so it's not just minimum wage that would impact the cost of items.

Things such as minimum wage and social security payments does establish the floor when it comes to living costs.  Same for government salaries.  As long as that floor remains low while people are earning more money, it's going to allow people to prosper.  Those increased costs in merchandise at food stores also impacts those people who got increases in minimum wage so they are not really benefiting from that increase over the long run.  But the low unemployment rate does threaten to push those costs up so there got to be a middle ground and what is it?  I feel like this is uncharted territory so it'll take time to make sense of what is going on.

The economy has done very well and I agree that people at the top should be able to pay their workers more given the Trump tax cuts.  I'm able to be able to pay down my debt so I can be able to go purchase a home when the opportunity comes so I'm not complaining one bit about the economy.  

Archived