you 2017 oregon duck thread

glduck

i can make this thread, because our season ended at thanksgiving.

based on a conference call from mullens it appears unlikely any current assistants will be retained, but of course taggart gets the final say. i still want yost.

hoke's out, and it doesn't appear that taggart will bring his DC from usf (which is probably good) although he did run a 4-2-5 and that's always intrigued me. we basically ran a 4-2-4 last year because one of our terrible linebackers would always run themselves out of a given play, so i suppose we've already been given a taste.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can make this thread, because our season ended at thanksgiving.

based on a conference call from mullens it appears unlikely any current assistants will be retained, but of course taggart gets the final say. i still want yost.

hoke's out, and it doesn't appear that taggart will bring his DC from usf (which is probably good) although he did run a 4-2-5 and that's always intrigued me. we basically ran a 4-2-4 last year because one of our terrible linebackers would always run themselves out of a given play, so i suppose we've already been given a taste.

We are losing our inside receivers coach, perhaps Yost will come back?

10 starters back. i have a hard time seeing the defense getting any worse... but i thought that last year, too. 

certain tweaks to the offense -- not milking 15 seconds of game clock for a 3-and-out -- will also help the defense. it's my hope the new staff understands this. the old one didn't!

our defense was so awful/injured the two deep for the CW and the two deep for next fall may look nothing alike.

a half-assed stab at it:

de henry mondeaux, sr; de eddie heard, sr

dt rex manu, jr; wayne tei-kirby, so

dt gary baker, so; drayton carlberg, so

de jalen jelks, jr; justin hollins, jr

slb troy dye, so; la'mar winston, fr

mlb jimmy swain, sr; aj hotchkins, sr

wlb kaulana alepu, jr; eric briscoe, so

cb tyree robinson, sr; malik lovette, so

cb ugo amadi, jr; arrion springs, sr

s brenden schooler, so; brady breeze, fr

s khalil oliver, jr; juwann williams, sr

but, aside from dye, i'm pretty sure every position is 100% open. the incoming class of recruits, JCs or freshmen, will have ample say in how things stack up next year.  

our defense was so awful/injured the two deep for the CW and the two deep for next fall may look nothing alike.

a half-assed stab at it:

de henry mondeaux, sr; de eddie heard, sr

dt rex manu, jr; wayne tei-kirby, so

dt gary baker, so; drayton carlberg, so

de jalen jelks, jr; justin hollins, jr

slb troy dye, so; la'mar winston, fr

mlb jimmy swain, sr; aj hotchkins, sr

wlb kaulana alepu, jr; eric briscoe, so

cb tyree robinson, sr; malik lovette, so

cb ugo amadi, jr; arrion springs, sr

s brenden schooler, so; brady breeze, fr

s khalil oliver, jr; juwann williams, sr

but, aside from dye, i'm pretty sure every position is 100% open. the incoming class of recruits, JCs or freshmen, will have ample say in how things stack up next year.

Now do a 2 deep for a 3-4 and a 4-2-5 (I actually believed this is what he ran). That said, I could see Schooler putting on 15lbs and playing SS.

As for O, for as sad as our season went this year, we will return 9-10 starters depending on how you look out it. We lost our top OL (Crosby) before the season started, a guy who was ranked almost all of 2015 as the best run blocking tackle in college by PFF.

friday morning notes:

taggart has offered charlie strong the DC job. strong has a few other DC offers, and is reportedly going to interview for taggart's old HC job at usf. by no means is strong to UO a done deal.

taggart's deal is 5 years, 3.3 mil per. just like darren rovell predicted!

and lastly, tagg (can i call him tagg? i'm gonna call him tagg) is off to hawaii to try to pull tua tagovailoa away from alabama. helf botched tua's recruitment something special, but perhaps the cleaning of house here in eugene will re-spark his interest. sounds like he was just waiting for an oregon offer that never came, until it did, well after he committed to alabama and helf panicked. 

• 2 weeks later...

so we already know jim leavitt is the DC.

jimmie dougherty, an offensive assistant w/ harbaugh at michigan, is now our WR coach.

we've offered every single recruit in the classes of '17 and '18.

torrodney prevot, suspended all season for an off-field altercation, has chosen to use the grad transfer exception to find a new home for his senior year. it's unclear if taggart would have invited him back to the team.

freshman wayne tei-kirby, brady hoke's lone contribution to the roster, tweeted "i don't play 3-4" and is transferring out.

so we already know jim leavitt is the DC.

jimmie dougherty, an offensive assistant w/ harbaugh at michigan, is now our WR coach.

we've offered every single recruit in the classes of '17 and '18.

torrodney prevot, suspended all season for an off-field altercation, has chosen to use the grad transfer exception to find a new home for his senior year. it's unclear if taggart would have invited him back to the team.

freshman wayne tei-kirby, brady hoke's lone contribution to the roster, tweeted "i don't play 3-4" and is transferring out.

Prevot is also suspended from playing for two years at UO.

Archived