Election Day Off Movement

Scscsc89

I’m all for more young people voting but I was taken by surprise by this NCAA effort to require schools to give student-athletes Election Day off so they could find the time to vote.

think it will move the needle?

3 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

I’m all for more young people voting but I was taken by surprise by this NCAA effort to require schools to give student-athletes Election Day off so they could find the time to vote.

think it will move the needle?

Nope.

I don't see how giving UO athletes the day off, is helping them vote?  Aren't most votes due by Oct 29, since a majority of people in Oregon vote by mail?  And if your doing an absentee vote for out of state students, wouldn't it be sent in earlier?

17 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

I don't see how giving UO athletes the day off, is helping them vote?  Aren't most votes due by Oct 29, since a majority of people in Oregon vote by mail?  And if your doing an absentee vote for out of state students, wouldn't it be sent in earlier?

If you've procrastinated, you can drop off the envelope at polling sites/booths.  It also brings attention to the IDEA of voting, which is never a bad thing.  Lots of students, too, don't get their registration (address) updated in time to receive a ballot because they were living at a different address in the spring/summer than they were in the fall.

I cannot fathom opposing this on any level.

Archived