The Interview CANCELED

PAC MAN

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/17/media/the-interview-sony-theater-owners/index.html?hpt=hp_t2&hpt=hp_t1

So unfortuante that a movie was cancelled due to North Korean hackers threatening movie theaters.

How much should we blame Sony for having weak internet security in this case?  I remember having a PS3 and PSP and was ticked off that I couldn't download games since PSN was offline due to that hack.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're canceling it because the theater chains all said they won't play it.  I can't blame Sony for this.  Don't release a movie and spend that extra money if it's not going to get any return.

That said, fuck the theater chains.  There was no "credible threat" according to Homeland Security.  This is a very sad day for the arts, and free speech.

I heard Sony wasn't releasing it on DVD or digital either, so its not just the theaters. Moreover, before the release was cancelled Rogen and Franco cancelled promotional appearances.

I guess this makes The Interview the most important stoner movie ever made.

I heard Sony wasn't releasing it on DVD or digital either, so its not just the theaters. Moreover, before the release was cancelled Rogen and Franco cancelled promotional appearances.

I guess this makes The Interview the most important stoner movie ever made.

I think you're confusing it with Pineapple Express?

I guess we take Kim Jong Un so seriously that we're willing to dictate our Freedoms of Speech based on his threats.

This is literally nauseating.

If by we you mean the theater conglomerates than yes.  They are already operating on low enough margins and probably didn't want to pay the extra insurance premiums, potential legal fees or risk PR over a movie that realistically wasn't going to do that well in the first place.  Sony had no choice but to cancel it once the majority of theaters refused to show it. 

Sony went beyond that and announced it won't be released in any form, DVD, digital, so its not all on the theatre conglomerates.  SONY killed it.

If they make nothing on theater distribution, why blow the money on a losing digital/DVD distribution?

That is a commercial decision to give in to the terrorists for financial reasons just the same as the decision by the theater owners not to show the movie.  Likewise, some of the actors, including Rogen and Franco, determined not to participate in pre-release promotions before Sony decided not to release the movie.  I don't have any idea why some want to lay the blame on theater owners when Sony and the actors likewise submitted to the wishes of the terrorists.

Sony went beyond that and announced it won't be released in any form, DVD, digital, so its not all on the theatre conglomerates.  SONY killed it.

No, the theaters killed it and rendered the product profitless thereby forcing Sony to make the obvious business decision.  They are a business, not a bunch of activists set on making a point. 

So, it was a commercial decision for Sony just as it was for the theater owners.

Yes, and the theater owners caving in forced Sony's hand.  The theaters had the realistic final say in this as Sony isn't going to trot out a fiscal failure.  Thus, the theater owners killed it.  

Archived