Stanford @ Utah

utenation

3 hours ago, Utefan1211 said:

I am sick and tired of these 8 pm starts.  Three of our four games have started after 8 pm.  As cool as it is getting, it would have been nice to have a fall afternoon game in the 65-70 degree range. It will get down to 45 degrees by the time the game ends at 11 pm. 

45 degrees?!  C'mon Alice!

Agree the late starts suck.

On 10/2/2017 at 0:07 AM, Card Tricks said:

If Shaw allows Costello to make his second consecutive start, I'd lean Stanford. But if Shaw does what I'm worried he'll do and gives Chryst the start (or even a portion of the snaps), I'd lean Utah on this one. I'll save my final score prediction for later in the week.

Not sure if anyone noticed but it was just announced today that Chryst will be starting against Utah. Even though I essentially predicted as much earlier in the week, I was starting to get the feeling that perhaps Shaw would stick with Costello in light of the offensive turnaround that's taken place these last two weeks. Silly me to forget that we just have THE MOST obdurate head coach in all of college football. Last time I ever let my guard down like that again. Be that as it may, I meant what I said on Monday- if Chryst gets the start, I'm leaning Utah. Now that it's official, I have no choice but to change my prediction. 

27-23o*Utah

Williams wasn't great, but the OL did him no favors, he was running for his life most of the night.

Had Utah handled the long snaps and been able to punch in a TD from first and goal at the 2 they still could have won. Utah's offense is definitely more dynamic with Huntley, but Utah fortunate to have Williams as a backup. At this point, we know what Williams is, about a 50% passer who will make some great deep throws and miss some easy short balls. The two interceptions at the end were made out of desperation of him trying to do too much - can't ask him to carry the team on his own while under pressure because that is not who he is.

I am encouraged by the progress the run game showed, but the pass blocking was bad. The defense performed ok, but the lack of any pass rush at all is troublesome ( Utah's two best edge rushers, Fitts and Anae were out ). The horrific long snapping is completely unacceptable, they need to get a kid in there that can make a decent snap under pressure, open it up to every guy who can possibly line up in that spot.

On to USC. If Utah doesn't get its act cleaned up, it could be a blowout. 

Archived