Rivalries worth preserving

EastCoastFan

On 10/6/2023 at 9:41 PM, MrBug708 said:

What was the reason? Were the academic ranking gaps between Colorado and KSU similar to those between Stanford and Colorado?

There were significant gaps.  CU, for a long time had strict transfer admissions rules.  It’s one of the biggest changes you saw this year.  And their fans were a bit difficult.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:30 PM, MrBug708 said:

I mean, Oregon Rutgers is what, twice every 4/5 years? Wow, what an example. Oregon also is getting MSU, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska and other traditional big name teams as well

It’s an example of how dumb realignment is.  And yeah, half of the big 10 is not particularly interesting.  For every Michigan you get an Indiana.

On 10/6/2023 at 9:39 PM, Buff_Fan said:

It’s an example of how dumb realignment is.  And yeah, half of the big 10 is not particularly interesting.  For every Michigan you get an Indiana.

I mean, for every UCLA in the PAC-12, you got a Colorado. For every Alabama in the SEC, you get Mississippi State. It's not a new concept to have bad teams with historical teams

On 10/6/2023 at 9:37 PM, Buff_Fan said:

There were significant gaps.  CU, for a long time had strict transfer admissions rules.  It’s one of the biggest changes you saw this year.  And their fans were a bit difficult.

2023 USNWR
#3 Stanford
#105 Colorado
#170 Kansas State

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 11:41 PM, MrBug708 said:

What was the reason? Were the academic ranking gaps between Colorado and KSU similar to those between Stanford and Colorado?

As I understand it, KSU overstocked their roster with juco kids, sometimes more than half, ones that CU wouldn't allow in.  Regarding Stanford, there's a misunderstnding.  While they are a stunning academic bastion, they have designated "pathways" for less qualified athlete students, something that you don't see at schools like Northwestern and Rice, and for that matter Colorado, at least before the recent esperimental changes were implemented.  The core is that CU doesn't have a "general studies"s program (often the way to slide athletes by), and also has a snarky anti-football faculty on demanding performance.  Stanford actually has another huge advantage of their own  -- for all those football players that don't go NFL or have short careers there, a Tree Degree is a goldsend for the rest of you life.  And they also have a world class tutoring program. an admirable effort.

Another factor affects resuiting.  Colorado requires that all scholarhsip footbll players from in-state be charged out-of-state tuition, which gives the school a windfall to pay for other sports.  A number of other schools do the oppodite, billing all out-of-state football plyers at in-state rates (KU is an example,) which allows the football and basketball program way more funds to hire staff and do recruiting.,  There is no cinsistency on these thngs.

The connection between winning football and acedemic syccess is slowly being more understood,  Colorado reports having had an increase of 40% in out of state applications since Prime was hired, with higher average SAT scores and paying one of the highest out-of-state tuitions in the nation.

On 10/7/2023 at 1:18 AM, MrBug708 said:

2023 USNWR
#3 Stanford
#105 Colorado
#170 Kansas State

Totally discredited.  Check the Shanghai or London international ratings.  CU sits in the top 30 nationally, along with Washinton and ahead of USC.  Arisona also rates well, while Stanford and UCLA are simply stunning, leading the world.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:42 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Totally discredited.  Check the Shanghai or London international ratings.  CU sits in the top 30 nationally, along with Washinton and ahead of USC.  Arisona also rates well, while Stanford and UCLA are simply stunning, leading the world.

I'm more than happy to use those, but USNWR finally had to rework a lot of their rankings for a lot of issues that made people not take them as serious as other publications.

As someone who supports a team who was quite snobbish with their academic standards, I wish the school would realize that the football team's GPA doesn't, in fact, do anything to tarnish the reputation of the school as a whole.

A quick scan of a few football players on Colorado gave me majors such as Strategic Communications, Exploratory Studies.

On 10/6/2023 at 11:14 PM, MrBug708 said:

I mean, for every UCLA in the PAC-12, you got a Colorado. For every Alabama in the SEC, you get Mississippi State. It's not a new concept to have bad teams with historical teams

haven’t you heard, CU is the new hotness!? And I get it, you are pumped up to travel across the country for it.

On 10/6/2023 at 9:41 PM, MrBug708 said:

Bill Snyder got a special and rare exemption from the school to allow JUCO players with D grades to transfer those grades into KSU when other colleges would not do and that is part of the reason why they got the KSjuco moniker.  That was a running joke for KSU dating to the late BIg 8 days.  Those were the days before the NCAA cracked down on stuff like that and Prop 48 which benefited Nebraska for many years before the Big 12 ended that practice thanks to marching orders from Texas and then the NCAA eventually followed suit.

KSU has since bridged the gap and raised their research tier to R1 just like any Pac-12, Big 12, and BIg Ten school thanks to that National Bio and Agro-Defense research center which brought in a lot of Fed research dollars.  

National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility | USDA

Given such metrics, I think the AAU lost some meaning after admitting ASU into the club recently but I'd say ASU was considered the better school when you compare that school to KSU in the past.