Rivalries worth preserving

EastCoastFan

With the Pac-12 schools heading in four directions -- the Big-12, the Big-10, the ACC, and the Pac-2 (or whatever,) a number of rivalries will be split.  There are some existing openings in out-of-conference schedules for the twelve teams, and some new ones where previously scheduled out of conference opponents are now in the conference joined.

The question is, what rivalries are worth preserving, either annually or occasionally for Pac-12 football teams?  Or should they end?  In the past, conference movements often have ended traditional rivalries -- examples being Kansas/Missouri, Nebraska/Missouri, Texas/Texas A&M.  But an important part of college football is lost when those rivalries end.

Should the following be preserved?

• Oregon/Oregon St?
  • Washington/Washington St?
  • UCLA/Cal?
  • UCLA/Stanford?
  • USC/Stanford?
  • USC/Cal?
  • Anyone for Utah, ASU, CU, Arizona?

I think so. Continuing to play would be huge for fans, keeps some semblance of tradition alive, and it just makes good fiscal sense in this new era of cross country travel. The LA and Bay Area schools would have to get on some sort of rotation schedule, but the Apple Cup and the Rivalry Game Formerly Known As The Civil War seem like slam dunks to return in the near future once some of the upcoming contracted non-con games are off the books.

On 10/5/2023 at 3:06 PM, Orange said:

geographic rivalries (UW/WSU, UO/OSU) should be maintained, sorta the way Iowa/Iowa State do.

I agree, and would even add that UW/OSU and WSU/UO are worth playing if possible, even if not every year ... allow the mythical PNW Championship (TM Rick Neuheisel) to live on. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:30 PM, row Z said:

I appreciate games with every Pac12 school. They all have their unique histories and weird games. I would not hesitate to play Cal, Utah, Colorado, Stanford, AZ or ASU out of conference if schedules line up.  

Where are you with all of this?  I know that long term, the cash will follow the B1G, and it's the obvious locale for media relevancy.  But when it come to football, in 2024 the Huskies have to travel to Bloomington, IN; Iowa City, IA; State College, PA; and Piscataway, NJ.  Is that what you bargained for?

On 10/5/2023 at 6:28 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Where are you with all of this?  I know that long term, the cash will follow the B1G, and it's the obvious locale for media relevancy.  But when it come to football, in 2024 the Huskies have to travel to Bloomington, IN; Iowa City, IA; State College, PA; and Piscataway, NJ.  Is that what you bargained for?

Well, i hate most of what is happening: 1) Pac12 falling apart; 2) losing 100+ years of history of west coast football; 3) tv dictating how the sport is organized; 4) the likelihood of the the top level of college football consolidating to a small number of teams; 5) loss of regional flavor and long time rivalries; 6) travel impacts on football; 7) impact on all the other sports. That all sucks big time. I have been a Pac12 fan my whole life, and am attached to it.  I like these teams, the location of the universities, the unique west coast weirdness. Nothing like this will likely come back in my lifetime. That fucking sucks. College sports as a whole will not be better off as a result of the realignment. In fact, even football is going to be less interesting and will lose the breadth of the fan following it has now, especially in those areas where there are no teams at the top level (Bay Area where i live).   

I have a long list of decisions that I wish were made differently to avoid where we are now, but it's kind of pointless to dwell on that. The overarching problem is that there is no central leadership of NCAA football. Its every conference and every program for itself, all chasing the money.  Given that structure, an absurd outcome that benefits some at the top while eroding the quality overall was a likely outcome.

Are there some silver linings for UW joining the B1G? Sure. We survive this current round of musical chairs, we get a pretty amazing upgrade in the quality of our schedule, the team will visit some historic stadiums, ticket sales in Seattle will presumably increase, we get better national exposure, and we will have significantly more competent conference leadership. And, if things go right, we get the full media share in 2030. In the meantime though, since we are only getting a half share of the tv revenue until 2030, we are going to have to scratch and claw to remain competitive and ward off other programs trying to hire DeBoer. That is probably happening already, with Michigan State being the first team trying to get him. 

So, long story short, its very much a mixed bag: I hate the realignment and loss of the Pac 12, but i will continue to follow UW football in the B1G. I will also have one eye on our former conference members and will be rooting for them. Long live the Pac12. 

• Thanks 2

I would love to play any Pac-12 school going forward.  The school I'd like to play the most would be Oregon given a little history between the two before CU joined the Pac-12.  I believe both played in the first ever ESPN game and then played in the Cotton Bowl in 1998 I believe and that blow out loss to the Buffs triggered Phil Knight.  The Ducks repaid the favor in the 2001 Fiesta Bowl.n

CU plays at CSU and Nebraska next season.  There are no scheduled games with the Huskers but I think playing them once a decade would be a good way to make money for both schools.  The ticket prices on the resale market for the NU-CU game hit $1,400 at one point this summer and that is the average mortgage payment in Nebraska.  CU has on and off games with CSU lined up through 2038.

I'd say that after Nebraska and outside of Oklahoma & Texas, I'd say Kansas State was the most detested school when it comes to the Big 12.  I also have reason to be excited for CU in the Big 12 because on the west you would have the other 4C schools and then on the east, you have the Kansas schools, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech.  Given how Iowa State used to play CU tough in the past regardless of their record, you could include the Cyclones in that one.  I am eagerly awaiting the 2024 Big 12 football schedule to see who CU will be playing but I think I will miss the PNW schools the most.

CU does have one OOC slot open for 2025-2029 and 2031.

On 10/5/2023 at 5:23 PM, row Z said:

I agree, and would even add that UW/OSU and WSU/UO are worth playing if possible, even if not every year ... allow the mythical PNW Championship (TM Rick Neuheisel) to live on. 

Hell, here's an idea, let's just have those teams play each other, along with all the CA and AZ schools, and, I don't know, ink a good deal with a TV/cable provider and NOT blow up the conference?

Sorry, me with my stupid fucking ideas of having a sensible CFB landscape that's not totally destroyed.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 6:10 AM, PAC MAN said:

I would love to play any Pac-12 school going forward.  The school I'd like to play the most would be Oregon given a little history between the two before CU joined the Pac-12.  I believe both played in the first ever ESPN game and then played in the Cotton Bowl in 1998 I believe and that blow out loss to the Buffs triggered Phil Knight.  The Ducks repaid the favor in the 2001 Fiesta Bowl.n

CU plays at CSU and Nebraska next season.  There are no scheduled games with the Huskers but I think playing them once a decade would be a good way to make money for both schools.  The ticket prices on the resale market for the NU-CU game hit $1,400 at one point this summer and that is the average mortgage payment in Nebraska.  CU has on and off games with CSU lined up through 2038.

I'd say that after Nebraska and outside of Oklahoma & Texas, I'd say Kansas State was the most detested school when it comes to the Big 12.  I also have reason to be excited for CU in the Big 12 because on the west you would have the other 4C schools and then on the east, you have the Kansas schools, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech.  Given how Iowa State used to play CU tough in the past regardless of their record, you could include the Cyclones in that one.  I am eagerly awaiting the 2024 Big 12 football schedule to see who CU will be playing but I think I will miss the PNW schools the most.

CU does have one OOC slot open for 2025-2029 and 2031.

I think the only person that has been triggered with CU's games against Oregon is you. This series is a wipe out overall. I'm pretty sure Oregon considers they have much bigger fish to fry. 

I also love how the question was retaining rivalries with P12 teams and you go on a 10 min book long rant about Nebraska, B12 schools and $1400 tickets prices with non P12 games. 

Classic stuff.

On 10/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, Orange said:

Why?

I’m not sure what this has to do with keeping pac rivalries, but I guess I’ll answer.  Their fans were obnoxious af.  That said, Missouri fans, for me, were the worst.  

As far as the pac goes, the rivalries should stay, but tv has decided that doesn’t matter.  Instead we will get Oregon at Rutgers……feel the excitement.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, Orange said:

Why?

Bill Snyder and they were called KSjuco for a reason.  KSU was also CU’s closest Big 8 rival.  They were even labeled rivals in the old NCAA FB 14 which was a little surprising but I know the dislike is there between the fanbases.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, PAC MAN said:

Bill Snyder and they were called KSjuco for a reason.  KSU was also CU’s closest Big 8 rival.  They were even labeled rivals in the old NCAA FB 14 which was a little surprising but I know the dislike is there between the fanbases.

What was the reason? Were the academic ranking gaps between Colorado and KSU similar to those between Stanford and Colorado?