Two member PAC-12

Pac10duck

On 11/17/2023 at 8:06 AM, Orange said:

Word is at least 4 P4 programs on the schedule plus WSU. 

If they are looking for 4 P4 games for next year my guess is that they have been or will be trying to get involved in some of those B12 Non conference games.  Arizona/KState, & Baylor/Utah are still technically scheduled as OOC for next year and both Utah & BYU are needing a new partner to replace their originally scheduled non-con matchup after it became a conference game.  

Nick Daschel’s takes give me hope:

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2023/11/oregon-state-mailbag-future-football-schedule-no-love-for-womens-basketball-weather-impact-on-huskies-beavers.html?outputType=amp

Also, I’m just going to say this right here: shame on Oregon. When the Ducks agreed to the Big Ten, they should have made a stipulation to their new conference that whatever it takes, we’re keeping the rivalry game alive. This game has too much meaning to the state and its families to simply let it escape into the atmosphere.

I’m curious Nick, with how the landscape/dynamic of power has shifted this week, what’s the best-case scenario? Very interested to know your personal opinion. -- @aTerpinMoose

If you’re talking short term, like the 2024 season, OSU adds a Utah, a California and perhaps one other Power 4 to its previous schedule, and fills it out with enough prominent Mountain West opponents to present a credible schedule to its athletes and coaches. Long term? The Beavers find a path to the Big 12 by the 2025-26 year, or make the Pac-12 so attractive that a Stanford and Cal decide to return.….….

Regarding Pac 12 lawsuit. Does this cause anyone to have buyer’s remorse? AZ just said they’ve got a $240M hole. The Big 12 is not their savior. Cal desperately needs cash. Big 12 ratings, aside from TX and OK are low. -- @WebGuy223

Not remorse so much as a collective, man, we really screwed up a good thing. I’ll die on this hill: two years from now, not one of the departing 10 schools is going to think they’re better off today than they were in 2023.

On 11/17/2023 at 11:32 AM, glduck said:

I’m not going to pay for John Canzano’s blog, but apparently he’s reporting that if Boise State agrees to reschedule/cancel the game in Autzen next year, UO and OSU are in talks to play in Eugene that date (with a return game in Reser in 2025). 

Why would we continue to have a home and home with a team that’s now in the MWC? If we continue the Civil War at all, it should be a 2 for 1. 

I know the WSU and OSU posters here may not like this but I am excited by the prospect of playing both schools every year.

I think ultimately what happens is OSU & WSU compete as quasi independents next year and possibly in 2025 and after that there will be a reverse merger of sorts with the MWC. The 12 MWC will “join” the PAC-2 with Gloria taking over as commissioner of the PAC-14. 

On 11/18/2023 at 12:46 PM, Orange said:

Nick Daschel’s takes give me hope:

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2023/11/oregon-state-mailbag-future-football-schedule-no-love-for-womens-basketball-weather-impact-on-huskies-beavers.html?outputType=amp

Also, I’m just going to say this right here: shame on Oregon. When the Ducks agreed to the Big Ten, they should have made a stipulation to their new conference that whatever it takes, we’re keeping the rivalry game alive. This game has too much meaning to the state and its families to simply let it escape into the atmosphere.

I’m curious Nick, with how the landscape/dynamic of power has shifted this week, what’s the best-case scenario? Very interested to know your personal opinion. -- @aTerpinMoose

If you’re talking short term, like the 2024 season, OSU adds a Utah, a California and perhaps one other Power 4 to its previous schedule, and fills it out with enough prominent Mountain West opponents to present a credible schedule to its athletes and coaches. Long term? The Beavers find a path to the Big 12 by the 2025-26 year, or make the Pac-12 so attractive that a Stanford and Cal decide to return.….….

Regarding Pac 12 lawsuit. Does this cause anyone to have buyer’s remorse? AZ just said they’ve got a $240M hole. The Big 12 is not their savior. Cal desperately needs cash. Big 12 ratings, aside from TX and OK are low. -- @WebGuy223

Not remorse so much as a collective, man, we really screwed up a good thing. I’ll die on this hill: two years from now, not one of the departing 10 schools is going to think they’re better off today than they were in 2023.

I've said, all along, that this "experiment" will blow up - for a multitude of reasons - and within 5-10 years, the PAC will restructure and re-form.  This isn't going to work for any of the schools that have jumped to other conferences.  In fact, their situation might even end up being worse.

As for OSU and Wazzu - I would take a page out of ND's book and join a conference (MW) in all sports, except for football.  In football, I would go independent and put together a robust schedule of P4 teams from around the country.