Two member PAC-12

Pac10duck

As I understand, Oregon State and Washington State are planning to have a 2 member PAC-12 for the next two years and play something like 8 games against the MWC just so they can spend two more years pretending they aren't now MWC schools. Then, in 2026, when that 2 year NCAA exemption for having a conference with less than 8 teams expires, I guess they'll have to officially join the MWC.

What are they going to do with their basketball and Olympic sports over the next 2 years? Will their basketball and Olympic sports officially join the MWC, even though their football teams will be in a PAC-2?

On 11/11/2023 at 9:30 AM, MrBug708 said:

Does the Rose Bowl have to take the winner of the P12 championship game?

Last year was the final year of the direct Pac-12/B1G connection.  Going forward the Rose in some capacity will be apart of the expanded playoff.

Not much has been revealed about it but my opinion is that it will essentially become the B1G's quarter final "home" site.

On 11/11/2023 at 12:28 AM, Pac10duck said:

As I understand, Oregon State and Washington State are planning to have a 2 member PAC-12 for the next two years and play something like 8 games against the MWC just so they can spend two more years pretending they aren't now MWC schools. Then, in 2026, when that 2 year NCAA exemption for having a conference with less than 8 teams expires, I guess they'll have to officially join the MWC.  What are they going to do with their basketball and Olympic sports over the next 2 years? Will their basketball and Olympic sports officially join the MWC, even though their football teams will be in a PAC-2?

The best that I have heard is this:  There are four options the Pac-2 are planning, assuming they get all of the left-over funds/value of the Pac-12, which would give the two a healthy pot of money for two years.

1.  Option 1 is to go two years with the Pac's remaining funds, with an interim scheduling arrangement with the MWC, and then sell themselves to be reduced share add-ons to the Big-12;
  2.  Option 2 is to go two years with the Pac's remaining funds, with an interim scheduling arrangement with the MWC, and then sell themselves to be reduced share add-ons to the ACC, hoping to get support from Cal and Stanford;
  3.  Option 3 is to go two years with the Pac's remaining funds, with an interim scheduling arrangement with the MWC, and then to expand, grabbing eight of the twelve MWC schools, with a revised media contract;
  4.  Option 4 is to go two years with the Pac's remaining funds, with an interim scheduling arrangement with the MWC, and then be absorbed as the 13th and 14th schools in the MWC.

On 11/14/2023 at 12:44 PM, Scscsc89 said:

AAC

Okay, missed it.  However, the AAC is a shell of itself, losing Cincy, UCF, and Houston.  Ultimately, though, it might make sense for the AAC and MWC to do some sort of merge or alignment, marketing their few best games each week.  They would have an advantage of four time zones to mwork with.

On 11/13/2023 at 5:38 PM, EastCoastFan said:

Don't see the ACC collapsing until 2030, the next big round.  That's when the SEC and B1G get in a bidding war to skim the ACC cream.

Seems just as likely we’ll just peel off some of the Big 10 or Big 12 schools in reconstituting the Pac now.  #EatShit

On 11/13/2023 at 12:33 AM, EastCoastFan said:

The best that I have heard is this:  There are four options the Pac-2 are planning, assuming they get all of the left-over funds/value of the Pac-12, which would give the two a healthy pot of money for two years.

1.  Option 1 is to go two years with the Pac's remaining funds, with an interim scheduling arrangement with the MWC, and then sell themselves to be reduced share add-ons to the Big-12;
  2.  Option 2 is to go two years with the Pac's remaining funds, with an interim scheduling arrangement with the MWC, and then sell themselves to be reduced share add-ons to the ACC, hoping to get support from Cal and Stanford;
  3.  Option 3 is to go two years with the Pac's remaining funds, with an interim scheduling arrangement with the MWC, and then to expand, grabbing eight of the twelve MWC schools, with a revised media contract;
  4.  Option 4 is to go two years with the Pac's remaining funds, with an interim scheduling arrangement with the MWC, and then be absorbed as the 13th and 14th schools in the MWC.

Oregon State and Washington State have no bowl tie ins, no automatic NCAA tournament bid, no home for basketball or Olympic sports, and worst of all, no TV contract. A whole nine months before next football season starts. 

Is the MWC going to allow Oregon State and Washington State to get their games televised with the MWC's TV partners, use the MWC's bowl bids and participate in MWC Olympic sports, all while they aren't actually members of the MWC? And all while they might stab the MWC in the back and raid the MWC two years later? I really don't understand why the MWC would allow this.

I think the MWC should just tell Oregon State and Washington State to kick rocks and join the MWC in 2024. The MWC is the party with basically 100% of the bargaining power here. 

What really are these supposed PAC assets, anyway? Just about the only PAC asset I can think of is the stupid PAC Network, which was already failing when the PAC actually had 12 teams. Really, the PAC Network actually seems like  a liability rather than an asset to me, since they'll have to shut down the network, and shutting down the network might not be cheap.

On 11/15/2023 at 3:22 PM, Pac10duck said:

What really are these supposed PAC assets, anyway? Just about the only PAC asset I can think of is the stupid PAC Network, which was already failing when the PAC actually had 12 teams. Really, the PAC Network actually seems like  a liability rather than an asset to me, since they'll have to shut down the network, and shutting down the network might not be cheap.

That is a good question, and there have been answers all over the place.  The best I've heard is that the conference currently has $42 million in a reserve fund, and there is $65 million coming in future years as payoffs for past Pac-12 participation in the NCAA basketball tourney.  The Pac-12 network may not have value as it is, but it is argued it would be a sell-off item to ESPN or Fox or a streamer, with a lot of equipment and infrastructure for west coast broadcasts.  On the reverse side, and worrisome, is that the conference may have liabilities that have not been fully vetted, such as lawsuits.

On 11/15/2023 at 1:22 PM, Pac10duck said:

I'm not sure on the line item details of future assets but NCAA Tourney credit payouts is probably a big one. I think those assets are paid out over a 6 year period. 

On 11/15/2023 at 2:57 PM, EastCoastFan said:

That is a good question, and there have been answers all over the place.  The best I've heard is that the conference currently has $42 million in a reserve fund, and there is $65 million coming in future years as payoffs for past Pac-12 participation in the NCAA basketball tourney.  The Pac-12 network may not have value as it is, but it is argued it would be a sell-off item to ESPN or Fox or a streamer, with a lot of equipment and infrastructure for west coast broadcasts.  On the reverse side, and worrisome, is that the conference may have liabilities that have not been fully vetted, such as lawsuits.

There's the Comcast over payment debt for sure. And I'm not sure if that's being chopped off on 23/24 payouts.  On the P12 network, I think that would be mostly equipment that will probably pay pennies on the dollar. The only other P12 network infrastructure I can think of is the P12 Network broadcast studio which I'm not sure what value that would bring.  

On 11/15/2023 at 6:20 PM, win2bfree said:

I thought I read somewhere (Wilner maybe) that the Comcast over payment has already been taken care of using some (most) of the emergency fund.

The way I read this is, the members will still have reduced revenue to pay the debt. And maybe the emergency fund was used to square Comcast right away rather than some repayment plan.  And maybe some of the lost revenue was offset by trimmed expenses. 

http://amp.awfulannouncing.com/league-networks/pac-12-network-comcast-overpayment-scandal-72-million.html

On 11/16/2023 at 7:06 AM, clpp01 said:

@Orange and @KUGRDON,

I'm not trying to rub salt in any wounds here. I wanted the P12 to stay together as you know.  But what are your thoughts on this moving forward? For 2 years, this is a football only scheduling alliance.  

Apparently, the P2 will try to put their other sports on other conferences? I would think hoops would be a good fit for the MWC scheduling as well rather than hodge podge 30 game schedules with other conferences. In the West, what is there after the WCC that would work?