The Flu

mysfit

I made it pretty clear that I support 100% remote learning for middle school and above, with some sort of hybrid for elementary schools, with daily testing, masks, 6-feet social distancing, etc., to help essential workers make a living (absent the government spending one fucking penny to help working parents with kids at home).

Your president that you voted for and unfailingly support insists on opening all schools, with no restrictions, and zero plan to contain the virus, anywhere.  Matter of fact, he actively supports spreading the virus.

But sure, he and I are on the same page, okay.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As things move along, it appears more and more likely Oregon will be doing distance learning (for secondary at least).  Districts are still forming their hybrid plans, but teachers are being told to start thinking of how curriculum and culture building can work with distance learning.  Local unions are starting to gauge the pulse of teachers concerning 1: what they think of the three models of school and their safety, and 2: what action they're willing/wanting to take if the state/districts try to open schools unsafely/against experts' recommendations.

Not being in a teacher’s union myself I can’t comment on the veracity of it, but I’ve been told by a few friends of mine who are teachers that if forced to go back in September, the union would forge ahead with a strike.

3 hours ago, glduck said:

Not being in a teacher’s union myself I can’t comment on the veracity of it, but I’ve been told by a few friends of mine who are teachers that if forced to go back in September, the union would forge ahead with a strike.

I'm not a union rep or in union leadership, but I would not be surprised if there are strikes in that circumstance.  

They just measured the square footage of Mrs. Molerat's classroom and were like, welp, divided by 36 square feet equals 24 students max. 

No accounting any space for, off the top of my head: walkways, bookshelves/storage, teacher's desk, etc. 

Send all the kids to school to learn, then turn around and don't listen to the educated people. 

As a practical matter, perhaps this is impossible, but could they open elementary schools to only grades K-2 or 3?  The issues with remote learning are particularly acute the younger they are.

FL is fucking insane.  The feds are fucking insane.  We don't just cram all kids in schools without any thought to the virus (and I'm sure many localities will have to be 100% remote learning given virus spread).

None of us should EVER forgive republicans for prioritizing bars and bowling alleys over schools.  How the fuck did we get exactly 100% of this virus fight wrong?  Especially when all of us, back in March, knew EXACTLY what needed to be done to get it right?

1 hour ago, Orange said:

As a practical matter, perhaps this is impossible, but could they open elementary schools to only grades K-2 or 3?  The issues with remote learning are particularly acute the younger they are.

FL is fucking insane.  The feds are fucking insane.  We don't just cram all kids in schools without any thought to the virus (and I'm sure many localities will have to be 100% remote learning given virus spread).

None of us should EVER forgive republicans for prioritizing bars and bowling alleys over schools.  How the fuck did we get exactly 100% of this virus fight wrong?  Especially when all of us, back in March, knew EXACTLY what needed to be done to get it right?

If we are doing a hybrid model, that is the plan for at least my district (and therefore the big 5, likely, in Oregon).  K-3 is full time, the rest hybrid.  Also, Special Ed, English Language Learners would have extra support days each week.  I'd be interested if they try to do K-3 in person and the rest completely remote.  

Of course I did.  As in many places like Florida, They got so many cases they closed them down.  So both Florida and California “priorritized bars over schools.”

I was wondering, is your plan to fix the Racist police still to let the racist police fix it?

33 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

Of course I did.  As in many places like Florida, They got so many cases they closed them down.  So both Florida and California “priorritized bars over schools.”

I was wondering, is your plan to fix the Racist police still to let the racist police fix it?

Then you'd realize those articles are 6 fucking weeks old, when FL had never flattened the curve and never bothered to close down, while CA HAD closed down, and HAD flattened the curve.  Then AZ and TX -- neither of which closed down -- became infectious hotbeds, which ruined CA's chances of staying virus-free.  Apparently you think there's a fucking giant virus wall at the border of AZ and CA.   There isn't, stupid.

We need a national mask policy and a national closure policy for businesses/schools/restaurants, etc.  But we have no leadership.  Your guy was actually willfully undermining quarantine and closure efforts in democratic states for political purposes.  But once again, you ignore all that because it doesn't fit with your "dems are responsible for everything" narrative, you pathetic piece of shit. 

No, the plan is to defund the fucking police, and fund other aspects of social services more equipped to deal with mental health and drug calls -- and also further fund education, after-school programs, etc.  I've been also calling for legalization of marijuana, which will save billions in dollars and lives and earning potential.  Naturally, you're staunchly against that, because you're a fucking retard.

Getting kids through education in x-number of years is an artificial metric.

So, again me being an anarchist rebel wanting to fix shit instead of propping it up, change the game. This get delayed and a couple years added. BFD.

This country and the people have lost their way. Find community projects to improve lives and infrastructure. There is a shitload of projects we could focus energy on. Spend the resources on us and relearn what it is to be part of a community, with masks and social distancing for a time.

Also. This autocratic tin POT dictatorship BULLSHIT of unmarked cars and jackbooted thugs must stop. How?

Go on strike. The 95%. Just stay home for or a few days. No protest. No demonstration. Peaceful silence. We have power. We outnumber the 5%. All they care about is their machine. Gum it up but good. Strike until the thugs are removed. 

18 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

And Florida and California opened bars prioritizing them over schools.

So we’ll still have the racist police.

You’re brilliant.

So, we've confirmed that you agree that republican-led states are fucking shitholes run by incompetent morons (that you plan to full-throatedly support in the fall), and that you still continue to support rounding up black and brown people by the millions for burning small amounts of plant material in rolling papers, you clueless twat. 

So we’ll still have the racist police, they’ll just have less money.

You’re brilliant.

California overtakes NY for most Covid 19 cases.

1 minute ago, KUGRDON said:

CA opened them in early June, when school was just ending, when positivity rates were almost non-existent, and the curve had flattened to where NY is now.

FL opened them when the curve was on the upswing, testing infrastructure was non-existent, and zero safety measures (such as masks and social-distancing requirements) were in place.  You really think people fall for your bullshit anymore?

So we’ll still have the racist police, they’ll just have less money.

Goddamned right.  Starve the beast, stupid.  That's YOUR party's philosophy.

You’re brilliant.

I fucking known.

California overtakes NY for most Covid 19 cases.

Uh, it's a state with DOUBLE the population of NY or FL, stupid.  And we have AZ and TX and the feds to thank for their political malpractice.

43 minutes ago, Orange said:

CA opened them in early June, when school was just ending, when positivity rates were almost non-existent, and the curve had flattened to where NY is now.

FL opened them when the curve was on the upswing, testing infrastructure was non-existent, and zero safety measures (such as masks and social-distancing requirements) were in place.  You really think people fall for your bullshit anymore?

Goddamned right.  Starve the beast, stupid.  That's YOUR party's philosophy.

I fucking known.

Uh, it's a state with DOUBLE the population of NY or FL, stupid.  And we have AZ and TX and the feds to thank for their political malpractice.

And Cali is breaking its records for new cases in a 7 day period despite what measures have been taken as is Washington.  Until young adults wear masks beyond when they legally have to, we are fucked no matter what politicians do.

Archived