ESPN's Way Too Early Top 25

win2bfree

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised WSU is ranked.

I'd put CU in place of WSU in most cases but they still got a bunch of defensive kids coming back (azgreg's link is awesome).  They nearly won the North this season as well.

WSU's 2017 OOC teams are all home games against Montana State, Boise State, and Nevada.  We'll see if they get past Montana State. :lol:  They gain Utah & USC from the South and will lose either Arizona school during conference play.

For once I can say that Oregon is going to be a surprise and do better than predicted, and not in the "flaming bag of dog shit" way that last year ended up being.

I'm saying 8-4 at worst considering what's coming back on offense, which basically everyone expect the 3 graduating TEs, but Jacob Breeland did some good things and can block a bit, and the defense can't possibly be worse and does have some young talent.  Hopefully a real DC and not lifer LB coach Pellum and whatever the hell Brady Hoke was will at least cut down a TD a game.

For once I can say that Oregon is going to be a surprise and do better than predicted, and not in the "flaming bag of dog shit" way that last year ended up being.

I'm saying 8-4 at worst considering what's coming back on offense (basically everyone expect the 3 graduatingTEs, but Jacob Breeland did some good things and can block a bit, and the defense can't possibly be worst and does have some young talent.  Hopefully a real DC and not lifer Pellum and whatever the hell Brady Hoke was will at least cut down a TD a game.

Sounds oddly familiar...

Card tricks is a smart guy, he knows just two years ago we won 9 games with a horrible D. I'm sure he'll have a fantastic breakdown of all the teams before the season, but like me he wants to see how our class finishes and what players might still leave before making a judgement.

Anywhere from 12-15 sounds about right for Stanford. I actually appreciate the fact that we're not on anyone's Top 10. Even though I figured we'd win the Pac-12 last season (mostly by default), I never felt that we were Top 10 material despite our lofty preseason rankings. Sure enough, I was right. Coming into this season, I'm a bit more optimistic about our prospects but there are still plenty of questions that need answering through Spring and Fall camp. Afterall, replacing Christian McCaffrey and Solomon Thomas (and perhaps even Keller Chryst) will be an extremely tall task.

The good news, however, is that Stanford tends to do better when everyone's betting against us. So from that standpoint, I'm glad to see us back in our relished role as underdogs. Given the fact that Chryst will be out for an extended period of time and may not even be ready to go by the season opener, I'm going to guess the final preseason rankings will be a little less kind to Stanford that what we're seeing right now with most projections in the 11-18 range. But I'd be pretty surprised to see Stanford fall out of the Top 25 entirely given the fact that we return 75% of last year's starters and draw the majority of our toughest opponents at home (Washington, Oregon, UCLA, Notre Dame, etc.). My guess is at the end of the day, we'll come in at around 18-22 in the final preseason polls with some serious dark horse potential. 

Archived