SI Top 25 College Town Meals

Scscsc89

Wait, so Oregon State gets credit for a pinot from the Willamette Valley that is bought in a grocery store but Cal doesn't get credit the award winning wines in Napa or Sonoma? They are also sold at grocery stores in Berkeley.  Berkeley also boasts one of the first wine shops on the entire west coast that imported French Burgundy's.  #winenerd

I personally find it hard to believe that there is a deep dish pizza in Gainsville that is better than Zackery's pizza on college.  It's a 1.5 mile walk from campus but it's worth it. 

Berkeley has recently developed a fantastic food and beer scene -- The Rare Barrel rivals Oregon's Cascade when it comes to the best sour beers I've ever tasted. 

19 minutes ago, All Hail said:

Wait, so Oregon State gets credit for a pinot from the Willamette Valley that is bought in a grocery store but Cal doesn't get credit the award winning wines in Napa or Sonoma? They are also sold at grocery stores in Berkeley.  Berkeley also boasts one of the first wine shops on the entire west coast that imported French Burgundy's.  #winenerd

I personally find it hard to believe that there is a deep dish pizza in Gainsville that is better than Zackery's pizza on college.  It's a 1.5 mile walk from campus but it's worth it. 

Berkeley has recently developed a fantastic food and beer scene -- The Rare Barrel rivals Oregon's Cascade when it comes to the best sour beers I've ever tasted. 

"First, the ground rules. These dishes must be available in a college town or the surrounding metro area. How do we define a college town? It must have a major university and a metro population lower than 500,000. Its reason for existing in its current form must be the university. We’ll know who didn’t read this paragraph when they start screaming about their favorite Austin or Madison restaurant being left off the list."

So Oregon State is a "Major University"? ;)

The city of Berkeley, which has 121k people, exists solely because of the University.  Before Cal was founded, the population of Berkeley was less than 1,000 people.   Berkeley fits all of the criteria except the metro population, which is just silly as Berkeley is its own world, let alone it's own metro. 

15 hours ago, All Hail said:

Our wine, food and beer is better.  Fuck your entire family if you disagree.

Okay, now I shall read the article and see what this is about...

EDIT: We finally make a list and they combined Eugene and Corvallis?  Fuck you, SI!

14 hours ago, All Hail said:

So Oregon State is a "Major University"? ;)

The city of Berkeley, which has 121k people, exists solely because of the University.  Before Cal was founded, the population of Berkeley was less than 1,000 people.   Berkeley fits all of the criteria except the metro population, which is just silly as Berkeley is its own world, let alone it's own metro. 

Man, you really want MORE people flocking to your area?   Bend has grown from 50k to 100k in my time here and I'm literally losing my mind because of the traffic.  Just enjoy your well-kept secret and everyone else's ignorant prejudices about Berkeley being a shithole of kale and dreadlocks.

of the two oregon schools i always thought osu had the better campus-area food; i'll stop by american dream pizza or local boys whenever i'm passing through corvallis. 

i also grew up in the eugene/springfield area so maybe i'm just bored with the local stuff.

they've also built up the waterfront area downtown since i last lived there (2006-07). drove through last summer and spotted a bunch of trendy breweries and such with amazing outdoor seating along the bank. i need to get back there before the weather turns. 

On 8/10/2017 at 9:00 AM, Orange said:

Man, you really want MORE people flocking to your area?   Bend has grown from 50k to 100k in my time here and I'm literally losing my mind because of the traffic.  Just enjoy your well-kept secret and everyone else's ignorant prejudices about Berkeley being a shithole of kale and dreadlocks.

The entire post was tongue and cheek after I realized I hadn't read the criteria that was  used to make the list.  

Unfortunately, plenty of people have found out the Berkeley secret, hence the housing prices and the high-end restaurants.  Berkeley is quickly losing much of its flair.  

17 hours ago, All Hail said:

The entire post was tongue and cheek after I realized I hadn't read the criteria that was  used to make the list.  

Unfortunately, plenty of people have found out the Berkeley secret, hence the housing prices and the high-end restaurants.  Berkeley is quickly losing much of its flair.  

Do you feel like that's the same with SF?  My brother does; he lives in Chinatown.

Everything that used to make SF so popular and interesting is going away, supplanted with grey suits, briefcases, and a bunch of yuppies out to mass-market everything that used to be quirky.  They've priced the culture right out of the city.

5 hours ago, Orange said:

Do you feel like that's the same with SF?  My brother does; he lives in Chinatown.

Everything that used to make SF so popular and interesting is going away, supplanted with grey suits, briefcases, and a bunch of yuppies out to mass-market everything that used to be quirky.  They've priced the culture right out of the city.

I actually think many of the Tech company's have gone out of their way -- more so than your average company in Seattle, Portland, etc -- to preserve SF.  There has certainly been a good amount of change and much of that is the inevitable byproduct of a new generation with their own ideas ideas/style/verbage/culture.  I don't like all of the change and certainly have my issues with the younger generation but I can imagine that this is a tale as old as time. 

I think it's a shame that many locals have been priced out but this too was inevitable once population dynamics and urban renewal began to occur.  When we multiply the way we have been, a city like San Francisco -- which is only 7 miles by 7 miles -- is going to rapidly become a pressure cooker for housing prices.  The Bay Area cities have not helped themselves by creating so much red tape that has made it very difficult for developers to keep up with skyrocketing demand -- and its pretty obvious developers would like nothing more than to do just that.  

San Francisco is the perfect combination of too many very intelligent people creating too many jobs/opportunity, in a space that is unusually small for a 'big city', which also happens to be one of the most beautiful places to live.  Throw in the world class wine scene next door and there are just too many reasons to want to live here.  

The traffic wears on me, the transplants can certainly annoy me (I'm sure you Oregonians can relate to this one) and I'm not happy to see some of the people I grew up with get pushed out of the city because they aren't lawyers, bankers or doctors and didn't get a high-paying tech job.  But at the end of the day, every time I travel I am reminded about how special the Bay Area -- especially San Francisco -- is and I can't imagine living anywhere else.  Of course that's just me and clearly, there are plenty of people who don't feel the way I do -- which explains the mass exodus.  Unfortunately, there seem to be more transplants than exiters and this is evidence by the housing prices and traffic.  

On 8/15/2017 at 6:03 PM, All Hail said:

I actually think many of the Tech company's have gone out of their way -- more so than your average company in Seattle, Portland, etc -- to preserve SF.  There has certainly been a good amount of change and much of that is the inevitable byproduct of a new generation with their own ideas ideas/style/verbage/culture.  I don't like all of the change and certainly have my issues with the younger generation but I can imagine that this is a tale as old as time. 

I think it's a shame that many locals have been priced out but this too was inevitable once population dynamics and urban renewal began to occur.  When we multiply the way we have been, a city like San Francisco -- which is only 7 miles by 7 miles -- is going to rapidly become a pressure cooker for housing prices.  The Bay Area cities have not helped themselves by creating so much red tape that has made it very difficult for developers to keep up with skyrocketing demand -- and its pretty obvious developers would like nothing more than to do just that.  

San Francisco is the perfect combination of too many very intelligent people creating too many jobs/opportunity, in a space that is unusually small for a 'big city', which also happens to be one of the most beautiful places to live.  Throw in the world class wine scene next door and there are just too many reasons to want to live here.  

The traffic wears on me, the transplants can certainly annoy me (I'm sure you Oregonians can relate to this one) and I'm not happy to see some of the people I grew up with get pushed out of the city because they aren't lawyers, bankers or doctors and didn't get a high-paying tech job.  But at the end of the day, every time I travel I am reminded about how special the Bay Area -- especially San Francisco -- is and I can't imagine living anywhere else.  Of course that's just me and clearly, there are plenty of people who don't feel the way I do -- which explains the mass exodus.  Unfortunately, there seem to be more transplants than exiters and this is evidence by the housing prices and traffic.  

Yeah, if you're not cool with 1 or 2 bedroom houses, you have to move far away to find affordable housing.  If you're single in the Bay Area, life gets real tough.  You need to find someone to share the load with.  There's no way I would have been able to buy a house in Lafayette without the help of my wife.  

Then again, the salaries around here are crazy as well.  Executive assistants make between 100-120k with 6 years of experience, Paralegals make 100k easy, big firm litigation paralegals make 150k easy with OT, and then there's the tech world.  My friend has 5 years of experience in Dev Opps and just got a job at TuitionIO for 210k starting salary.   The people who choose Government jobs, hospitality jobs and retail jobs fall Wayyyy behind here. 

Archived