Greenland

PAC MAN

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/politics/trump-buy-greenland-wall-street-journal/index.html

Trump wants the US to buy Greenland.  Not the first time an US POTUS has wanted to do so but it has been a long time since that happened.  Thoughts?

Dumb idea.  Greenland is only valuable from a military perspective and we've had an agreement with Denmark for decades about it.

7 minutes ago, PapaG said:

Wow, northern hemisphere ice melts in the spring.  I had no idea!  

Warm air from Europe’s heat wave reached Greenland on July 29 and 30, setting temperature records at Summit Station and melting about 90 percent of the ice sheet surface from July 30 to August 3. Melt runoff was estimated at 55 billion tons during the interval, or about 40 billion tons more than the 1981 to 2010 average for the same time period. Overall, melting this July was much higher than average, leading to more extensive bare ice and flooded snow areas.

http://nsidc.org/greenland-today/2019/08/europes-warm-air-spikes-greenland-melting-to-record-levels/

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, PapaG said:

Wow, northern hemisphere ice melts in the spring on a hot day.  I had no idea!   Weather!  I mean Climate!  I mean... 

Suc suc is a complete leftist moron. This adds another one to his dumbazz tweets.

19 hours ago, PapaG said:

Yes, it was a hot summer there.  Meanwhile, it’s a cool summer in Portland.

Weather is weird.  Crazy!

CO2 levels are higher than they have been in ONE MILLION years.  That's not "weather", that's a climate crisis.

15_co2_left_040518.gif

2 hours ago, Jalapeno said:

As long as Putin keeps his hands off Greenland.

I don't think Putin cares about Greenland. Right now, Russia is building the largest nuclear icebreaker ever, the Ural, capable of cutting through nearly 10 feet of ice. It is the first of three icebreakers that they intend to use to keep the Northeast Passage open year round, thus reducing shipping time between Asia and Europe by about 1/3. They're pretty much pinning their economic future on the fact that ice is melting faster on their side of Arctic Circle than it is on ours.

Ural-icebreaker-russia.jpg?w968h681

30 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

I don't think Putin cares about Greenland. Right now, Russia is building the largest nuclear icebreaker ever, the Ural, capable of cutting through nearly 10 feet of ice. It is the first of three icebreakers that they intend to use to keep the Northeast Passage open year round, thus reducing shipping time between Asia and Europe by about 1/3. They're pretty much pinning their economic future on the fact that ice is melting faster on their side of Arctic Circle than it is on ours.

There's military value in that as well.

41 minutes ago, Jalapeno said:

There's military value in that as well.

Certainly. They also intend to exploit gas fields in the Arctic tundra. They understand that climate change is real, and they aren't concerned about environmental impacts; they just want to gain every possible advantage from it.

In just the five days from July 31 to Aug. 3, more than 58 billion tons (53 billion metric tons) melted from the surface. That’s over 40 billion tons more than the average for this time of year. And that 58 billion tons doesn’t even count the huge calving events or the warm water eating away at the glaciers from below, which may be a huge factor.

Summit Station, a research camp nearly 2 miles high (3,200 meters) and far north, warmed to above freezing twice this year for a record total of 16.5 hours. Before this year, that station was above zero for only 6.5 hours in 2012, once in 1889 and also in the Middle Ages.

but “weather is weird” cause Portland had a cool summer, nyuck nyuck nyuck.

Archived