Utah's DC Morgan Scalley suspended

Scorcho

2 hours ago, Mano said:

https://www.scribd.com/document/467649914/Independent-Scalley-Investigation#from_embed

The above is a link to summary of the report from the independent investigation that was done on Scalley. You can make your own judgement.

It’s always important to get the complete picture. Not just isolated events and media hype. Bottom line, Utah(from a 3rd party investigation) felt there was not a consistent track record of racism. Morgan already admitted his mistake(s). And publicly and privately apologized. It’s time to move on. Let’s not forget about the dozens of players and former players that are better players and men because of Morgan’s guidance. The report reflects this as well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does it mean to have "inadvertently texted a racial slur"?  How can using the n-word be "inadvertent"?  That specific "finding" raises questions about the entire report.  When you put something in writing, it leaves a trail, and coaches need to know that.  It also raises questions about the original readers of the message.  Didn't they call him out about it?  If not, why not.  The "report" is silent on that. 

21 minutes ago, EastCoastFan said:

What does it mean to have "inadvertently texted a racial slur"?  How can using the n-word be "inadvertent"?  That specific "finding" raises questions about the entire report.  When you put something in writing, it leaves a trail, and coaches need to know that.  It also raises questions about the original readers of the message.  Didn't they call him out about it?  If not, why not.  The "report" is silent on that. 

I’m not sure that really matters big picture.   It was found that racial slurs were used by him. The damage was done. My focus is, not a consistent pattern and what will happen moving forward. 

As far as “calling him out on it”. I’m not sure what more could be done other than this investigation, public humiliation and discipline action. It seems as if he got called out to me.  It’s on Utah now if this was the right decision.

23 minutes ago, EastCoastFan said:

The "inadvertent" part was who it was texted to, not what was texted. 

I am not going to try to defend the content, as there is no excuse for it.

2 hours ago, utenation said:

We should make a list of the coaches that have made mistakes to whatever extent in their profession either physically, broke or allowed to be broken some rules, verbally abused or had issues off the court/field and been in the public eye, yet retained their job and or had discipline action. . We should make the list non sport specific.  I wonder how long the list would be? To the Boise fan that hasn’t even read the report, I’ll take those comments with a grain of salt.  I maintain, the U’s discipline of Morgan was spot on. I think he will be a better person and coach because of this.  At the end of the day, this is what counts. And yes, Morgan would be hired in a heartbeat on the open market.  If Morgan makes this type of mistake again, he’s toast. People deserve second chances and IMO, people are too hypersensitive with racial issues today.

Tone def and moronic statement.  The man used the N word on MULTIPLE occasions referencing black players.  Have you been paying attention to ANYTHING?

1 hour ago, EastCoastFan said:

The entire report is garbage, just read it.  It was clearly sponsored to come to a single conclusion.  Ooops, the good and just man did not mean to use the N word, or at least never would have used it if he new how cell phones worked, just kinda happened, and lets ignore the player who stated he called him that word like it never happened.

Joke.

1 hour ago, utenation said:

I’m not sure that really matters big picture.   It was found that racial slurs were used by him. The damage was done. My focus is, not a consistent pattern and what will happen moving forward. 

As far as “calling him out on it”. I’m not sure what more could be done other than this investigation, public humiliation and discipline action. It seems as if he got called out to me.  It’s on Utah now if this was the right decision.

He used the word multiple times over the course of years.  Fuck him.

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Tone def and moronic statement.  The man used the N word on MULTIPLE occasions referencing black players.  

You’ve already admitted your ignorance on this topic. That pretty much wraps up your intelligent contribution to the conversation..

He was retained. According to you, there should be protests, roadblocks and riots on our campus over this already. 

10 minutes ago, utenation said:

You’ve already admitted your ignorance on this topic. That pretty much wraps up your intelligent contribution to the conversation..

He was retained. According to you, there should be protests, roadblocks and riots on our campus over this already. 

I admitted my ignorance, yep.  Or did I point out the Ute fan did not know what he was talking about saying it was an isolated incident and one tweet?  Nuance in conversation never was your forte, though.  I forgive you.

I get it, homer going to homer.  Even if that means saying a coach having a habit of doping the N word is really no big deal.  You tone def moron.  At Utah he is liked, has seen to be punished...and, well, it is UTAH.  Any student body in 2020 would shit their pants if they thought their school hired a guy who was just fired for using the N word multiple times regarding black players so they could win games.  You tone def, moron.

22 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I admitted my ignorance, yep.  Or did I point out the Ute fan did not know what he was talking about saying it was an isolated incident and one tweet?  Nuance in conversation never was your forte, though.  I forgive you.

I get it, homer going to homer.  Even if that means saying a coach having a habit of doping the N word is really no big deal.  You tone def moron.  At Utah he is liked, has seen to be punished...and, well, it is UTAH.  Any student body in 2020 would shit their pants if they thought their school hired a guy who was just fired for using the N word multiple times regarding black players so they could win games.  You tone def, moron.

What exactly does “tone def” mean? Oh, the irony...of you using the word moron with confidence. Lol

I’ve heard the admission standards at BSU basically require a valid checking account and a pulse but damn.

8 hours ago, Mano said:

The "inadvertent" part was who it was texted to, not what was texted. 

I am not going to try to defend the content, as there is no excuse for it.

Thank you for the clarification.  However, when you get past who it was mistakenly sent to, it still leaves the question of coaches communicating to one another using the language. Somebody was supposed to receive this.   Apparently there are other coaches who receive message like this and don't object.  Isn't that the more troubling part?

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

there is no use arguing with someone who doesn't believe in forgiveness, second chances or remediation.  

1 hour ago, Scorcho said:

there is no use arguing with someone who doesn't believe in forgiveness, second chances or remediation.  

Lots of schools will give him a second chance.  This is about relative impunity.

2 hours ago, EastCoastFan said:

Thank you for the clarification.  However, when you get past who it was mistakenly sent to, it still leaves the question of coaches communicating to one another using the language. Somebody was supposed to receive this.   Apparently there are other coaches who receive message like this and don't object.  Isn't that the more troubling part?

That sort of thing is what the investigation was supposed to look into, and apparently they did not find this type of behavior occurring, at least from my reading of it. 

I do not condone the use of that word, and if there are any racists on the staff, I want them out. On the other hand, if this was an isolated incident by a young coach thinking he was being funny, the rest of his life should not be defined by it. His reputation has been greatly diminished and will take years ( if ever ) to restore. It is up to Scalley as to what kind of person he is, and what he does to try and redeem himself now that he has been given a second chance. 

I get the outside fury. People hear racism and automatically assume and want the worst without looking at all the facts. Morgan is a good kid. I've followed him since high school.. He's from a good family, He'll be better because of this.. If he fails this test, so be it. Utah made the wrong decision.

2 minutes ago, utenation said:

I get the outside fury. People hear racism and automatically assume and want the worst without looking at all the facts. Morgan is a good kid. I've followed him since high school.. He's from a good family, He'll be better because of this.. If he fails this test, so be it. Utah made the wrong decision.

exactly, and if the University had decided he should have been fired last week, I would have supported that decision as well.  

Of course I'm not privy to the brilliant insight and research that Halfmanbronco or Kurgdon posses that indicates Utah made a poor choice

12 hours ago, utenation said:

It means a lot.  Another coach knew of his behavior and either didn’t report it or reported it and nothing was done for years.

6 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

It means a lot.  Another coach knew of his behavior and either didn’t report it or reported it and nothing was done for years.

Apparently the other coach was Shah.  Make what you will of that.  Given the context, it looks like Utah did the right thing, with the suspension, the 50% cut in pay, and the removal of the "head coach in waiting" label.  That's a big hit on Scalley's career, and sends a clear message.  One thing that shouldn't happen is the idea that "It’s time to move on."  It is not.  It's time to keep what happened in the forefront of thoughts and actions, and to embrace a new paradigm of racial respect.  We need to do that not just with coaching staffs, but as a nation, all the way from the top down to the family dinner table.

12 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

that text with the "N" word never made it to the coach(es), so how exactly were they aware of it?

Archived