Seen any good movies lately?

Orange

saw frozen over thanksgiving break, because i'm an eight year old girl. disney is enjoying a nice little revival of late, their last several animated movies have been quite good. maybe it's just childhood nostalgia talking, but it seemed like they were on fire in the late 80s/early 90s, but then pixar started taking over and everything disney tried to do fell flat by comparison. 

I also saw Frozen over the Thanksgiving holiday ( I watched because I have a nine year old girl, not because I am one :) ). I agree, it was very entertaining and well done.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new Godzilla trailer looks interesting -- as long as Matthew Broderick is left out of it, this one *should* be decent. 

Also, for all you comic book nerds, Bryan Singer just announced that he's going to be bringing X-MEN : Apocalypse to the screen in 2016. Not to be outdone, Zach Snyder has been toying with the idea of having Flash and Green Lantern make a cameo along with Nightwing, and Wonder Woman in "Batman vs Superman". 

God, I hope he doesn't f*** this up.

i like how marvel has made this blueprint of how to dominate the box office, and dc/warner bros. is all like "fuck it, let's just throw everybody in the next superman sequel." no wonder dc comics is struggling so much to launch it's cinema universe.

nightwing would be an interesting addition (he says, nerdily). nightwing being there would imply that batman is MUCH older than superman, because the generally excepted batman mythos state that bruce wayne became batman, was solo for a number of years, saved dick grayson/dick grayson became robin, batman and robin were the 'dynamic duo' for 5-6 years, and THEN he went out on his own as nightwing. dc/warner bros has always gone out of its way to suggest that superman was the 'original' superhero. //shrug

i'm wondering which batman we'll see, too. i don't believe the gritty realism of nolan's batman universe supports the notion of superheroes (your supermans, flashes, ect.). none of that fits in with the dark knight trilogy AT ALL. then again, dc/warner bros. had massive success with nolan's batman. are they willing to leave well enough alone and let those movies stand by themselves and create a NEW batman? or are they going to cash in on the nolanverse, even if it doesn't really make sense? that would mean that joseph gordon leavit's character from dark knight rises is now batman, right?

christ i'm such a virgin. 

i like how marvel has made this blueprint of how to dominate the box office, and dc/warner bros. is all like "fuck it, let's just throw everybody in the next superman sequel." no wonder dc comics is struggling so much to launch it's cinema universe.

nightwing would be an interesting addition (he says, nerdily). nightwing being there would imply that batman is MUCH older than superman, because the generally excepted batman mythos state that bruce wayne became batman, was solo for a number of years, saved dick grayson/dick grayson became robin, batman and robin were the 'dynamic duo' for 5-6 years, and THEN he went out on his own as nightwing. dc/warner bros has always gone out of its way to suggest that superman was the 'original' superhero. //shrug

i'm wondering which batman we'll see, too. i don't believe the gritty realism of nolan's batman universe supports the notion of superheroes (your supermans, flashes, ect.). none of that fits in with the dark knight trilogy AT ALL. then again, dc/warner bros. had massive success with nolan's batman. are they willing to leave well enough alone and let those movies stand by themselves and create a NEW batman? or are they going to cash in on the nolanverse, even if it doesn't really make sense? that would mean that joseph gordon leavit's character from dark knight rises is now batman, right?

Have you heard that Marvel is coming out with a Guardians of the Galaxy movie next summer?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2015381/?ref_=nv_sr_1

If they pulled Nightwing, it wouldn't be the Dick Grayson version that a lot of nerds are familiar with, which is why I'm hoping they just dont include him. Too many characters, not enough back story will make sure that this thing is a disaster. Agree with you on Marvel, they did it right, and DC seems to be rushing it. Snyder has the ability to make this thing work though -- I just hope they dont overdo it with the other characters too much (Flash/Wonder Woman/etc) because Batman and Superman is a great enough story that you could write a 2 1/2 hour movie and have people wanting more.

Side note : Just once I'd pay great money to see Frank Miller's version of Batman brought to the screen. So many ways to take this adaptation, but it would've been amazing to see someone's attempt at this story arc : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns

Next on my list is definitely 12 Years a Slave.  Heard it's flat-out work to watch it, but may be one of the better films ever made.

I rented The Way, Way Back.  A lot more lighthearted than I thought, and the scenes that work best are the ones with Sam Rockwell.  Apart from that, it's a little too trite and the lead actor is not really up for the job, IMO.  But, it was one of those flicks that's a nice break from Sons Of Anarchy/Boardwalk/Capt. Phillips/Walking Dead dosage that I feed myself and my wife quite often.  She appreciated it.  If we kept up nothing but those shows we would've committed ritual suicide.

PS: Sorry to interrupt the Nerdery.  Go back to DC Comics/Flash/Batman/Nightwing, etc.  I have no idea wtf nightwing is. (backs out of room)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw "Wolf of Wall Street" this weekend -- I must say, and I dont give a shit if you agree with me or not, but that was probably one of the best Scorcese movies ever made -- and one of Leo's bests if not his best performance. If you haven't had a chance to see it yet -- go see it. Absolutely phenomenal, long as shit, but phenomenal.

Anchorman 2 was mediocre like All Hail said.  I still love Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd, but there was way too much Brick in this one.  

**SPOILER ALERT***

When Burdundy goes blind for awhile is probably the funniest part of the film.  Holy shit.

I liked Anchorman 2, but I didn't go into it expecting too much. And yes, the blind scene was the best part.

Next up, American hustle.

Def gotta see American Hustle.  Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams = dream threesome.

Correct.  Finally saw it, and J Law's scenes, in particular, were amazing.  

No words for how good an actor Christian Bale is.  To think this is the same guy playing Batman is unreal.  That guy doesn't get enough credit.  Being a prick really holds you back in life.

Archived