PAC12 v SEC

flgator61

On 9/5/2022 at 10:50 AM, MrBug708 said:

I mean, every time the SEC comes to play UCLA, it goes poorly. Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, TAMU. I can see why they dont come west anymore.

Beat BAMA in 2001, when BAMA was on probation and not very good.  Beat Tennessee twice, when TN was a complete disaster (they're still trying to get on track).  Went 1-1 against TXA&M in 2016 and 2017, when TXA&M was mediocre.  And beat a completely broken LSU team last year, that finished below .500 .... When is the last time UCLA played and defeated ANY team, from ANY conference, in a meaningful game?  It has to be sometime back in the 1970's.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:19 PM, HLB said:

Beat BAMA in 2001, when BAMA was on probation and not very good.  Beat Tennessee twice, when TN was a complete disaster (they're still trying to get on track).  Went 1-1 against TXA&M in 2016 and 2017, when TXA&M was mediocre.  And beat a completely broken LSU team last year, that finished below .500 .... When is the last time UCLA played and defeated ANY team, from ANY conference, in a meaningful game?  It has to be sometime back in the 1970's.

Imagine being a grown man of 60 or 70 years old, seeing this thread, and your first impulse is to defend an impish troll rather than condemn them for being stupid and confirming every stereotype we have of people in the South.

On 9/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, Orange said:

Imagine being a grown man of 60 or 70 years old, seeing this thread, and your first impulse is to defend an impish troll rather than condemn them for being stupid and confirming every stereotype we have of people in the South.

What was said that confirms your stereotype?  And stereotype does not mean your assessment is correct.  Come spend some time in the South and you will find how inaccurate your stereotype actually is.

That being said, answer the question:  When has UCLA football been relevant, on the national scene, and a threat to do much of anything, since the 60's and 70's?

On 9/6/2022 at 3:44 PM, HLB said:

What was said that confirms your stereotype? 

A bunch of drooling fucking idiots, e.g. the "Uterus" joke about Utah. 

And stereotype does not mean your assessment is correct.  Come spend some time in the South and you will find how inaccurate your stereotype actually is.

I've been to the South many times, and I've told you this; you've never been to Oregon (or maybe even the entire west coast) and you still make assumptions about us, dipshit. 

That being said, answer the question:  When has UCLA football been relevant, on the national scene, and a threat to do much of anything, since the 60's and 70's?

What the fuck do I care about UCLA??

On 9/6/2022 at 5:47 PM, Orange said:

A bunch of drooling fucking idiots, e.g. the "Uterus" joke about Utah.

That wasn't my statement.  But at the same time, you CONSTANTLY say things of the same nature about people from the south, without having every really spent any significant time in the South.  It's laughable at the way you talk to others, and then want to condemn the statement from an over-exuberant Florida fan.

I've been to the South many times, and I've told you this; you've never been to Oregon (or maybe even the entire west coast) and you still make assumptions about us, dipshit. 

I haven't made assumptions about people out West.  And I've been to Cali, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona, Neveda, just to name a few.  What assumptions have I made about people out West?  Give the statement, and the date of that statement.

That being said, have you ever lived in the South?  Have you spent much time in the South?

I have two new neighbors (one from LA, and the other from Portland, OR).  Both neighbors have trash talked the West and "how bad" things have become in the West.  Both are lifelong residents of the cities and states from where they came.  And after having been here for a little more than a year, they "rave" about living in the South and of how much better it is than living out West .... Their words, not mine.

What the fuck do I care about UCLA??

You gave a stupid response to my comment about UCLA, and I merely replied to your statement.  Why did you make your initial comment, that illicted my response?

On 9/6/2022 at 3:58 PM, HLB said:

That wasn't my statement.  But at the same time, you CONSTANTLY say things of the same nature about people from the south, without having every really spent any significant time in the South. 

Well, y'all vote for rapists and insurrectionists for the Senate.  I don't need to spend time there to know that.

It's laughable at the way you talk to others, and then want to condemn the statement from an over-exuberant Florida fan.

Indeed, I go for funny!

I haven't made assumptions about people out West.  And I've been to Cali, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Arizona, Neveda, just to name a few. 

No you haven't.  Liar.

I have two new neighbors (one from LA, and the other from Portland, OR).  Both neighbors have trash talked the West and "how bad" things have become in the West.  Both are lifelong residents of the cities and states from where they came.  And after having been here for a little more than a year, they "rave" about living in the South and of how much better it is than living out West .... Their words, not mine.

We don't know them.  Hell, they probably don't exist.  You literally invented friends who happen to live in LA or Portland and hate it, but strangely it never occurred to them to move?  You should punch up the back-story of your fictional friends.

You gave a stupid response to my comment about UCLA, and I merely replied to your statement.  Why did you make your initial comment, that illicted my response?

I didn't respond to anything you said about UCLA, I am not a UCLA fan, and I don't care about UCLA.  You're so utterly self-absorbed you think we're hanging on your every word.  I'm probably one of 5% of the posters here who doesn't have you on ignore, but that's only so I can wind you up.  Go off, king, tell us why Memphis and New Orleans are the best places on earth...is it the humidity, tornadoes, or the fact that they're two of the most crime-ridden places in the country?

On 9/7/2022 at 9:48 AM, Orange said:

Well, y'all vote for rapists and insurrectionists for the Senate.  I don't need to spend time there to know that.

I haven't voted for a rapist or an insurrectionist.  Meanwhile you support a party that fought for slavery and segregation.  All that being said, this is a forum for sports.  Take those statements to another forum.

I live in the South. Most things they say about the South are true. 

There are rednecks everywhere but I’ve seen things here that nobody believes. With that said, Southerners are the kindest people in this country. They love God, family, country, football and good bbq. Is that so bad? They do go overboard on their passion for football. 

On 9/7/2022 at 7:22 PM, HLB said:

I haven't voted for a rapist or an insurrectionist.  Meanwhile you support a party that fought for slavery and segregation.  All that being said, this is a forum for sports.  Take those statements to another forum.

Someone DEFINITELY failed 9th grade American history.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:41 PM, azgreg said:

It's always telling when a republican has to go back over a century to find the last time they did anything for people of color.

None of them look at the fact that the entire south turned Republican as soon as Democrats secured Civil Rights for POC and think "....hmm, maybe we're racist?"

On 9/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, Orange said:

None of them look at the fact that the entire south turned Republican as soon as Democrats secured Civil Rights for POC and think "....hmm, maybe we're racist?"

Democrats secured Civil Rights?

The Civil Rights Act of 1957, signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican) on September 9, 1957, was the first federal civil rights legislation since the Civil Rights Act of 1875 to become law. After the Supreme Court ruled school segregation unconstitutional in 1954 in Brown v. Board of Education, Southern Democrats began a campaign of "massive resistance" against desegregation, and even the few moderate white leaders shifted to openly racist positions.[10][11] Partly in an effort to defuse calls for more far-reaching reforms, Eisenhower proposed a civil rights bill that would increase the protection of African American voting rights.

DEMOCRATS tried to block the Civil Rights Bill of 1964.

Passage in the Senate[edit]

200px-MLK_and_Malcolm_X_USNWR_cropped.jp

Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X at the United States Capitol on March 26, 1964, listening to the Senate debate on the bill. The two met for only one minute.[27]

Johnson, who wanted the bill passed as soon as possible, ensured that it would be quickly considered by the Senate. Normally, the bill would have been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, which was chaired by James O. Eastland, a Democrat from Mississippi, whose firm opposition made it seem impossible that the bill would reach the Senate floor. Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield took a novel approach to prevent the bill from being kept in limbo by the Judiciary Committee: initially waiving a second reading immediately after the first reading, which would have sent it to the Judiciary Committee, he took the unprecedented step of giving the bill a second reading on February 26, 1964, thereby bypassing the Judiciary Committee, and sending it to the Senate floor for debate immediately.

When the bill came before the full Senate for debate on March 30, 1964, the "Southern Bloc" of 18 southern Democratic Senators and lone Republican John Tower of Texas, led by Richard Russell, launched a filibuster to prevent its passage.[28] Russell proclaimed, "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would tend to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our [Southern] states."[29][30]

Strong opposition to the bill also came from Senator Strom Thurmond, who was still a Democrat at the time: "This so-called Civil Rights Proposals [sic], which the President has sent to Capitol Hill for enactment into law, are unconstitutional, unnecessary, unwise and extend beyond the realm of reason. This is the worst civil-rights package ever presented to the Congress and is reminiscent of the Reconstruction proposals and actions of the radical Republican Congress."[31]

After the filibuster had gone on for 54 days, Senators Mansfield, Hubert Humphrey, Everett Dirksen, and Thomas Kuchel introduced a substitute bill that they hoped would overcome it by combining a sufficient number of Republicans as well as core liberal Democrats. The compromise bill was weaker than the House version as to the government's power in regulating the conduct of private business, but not weak enough to make the House reconsider it.[32]

Senator Robert Byrd ended his filibuster in opposition to the bill on the morning of June 10, 1964, after 14 hours and 13 minutes. Up to then, the measure had occupied the Senate for 60 working days, including six Saturdays. The day before, Democratic Whip Hubert Humphrey, the bill's manager, concluded that he had the 67 votes required at that time to end the debate and the filibuster. With six wavering senators providing a four-vote victory margin, the final tally stood at 71 to 29. Never before in its entire history had the Senate been able to muster enough votes to defeat a filibuster on a civil rights bill, and only once in the 37 years since 1927 had it agreed to cloture for any measure.[33]

On 9/5/2022 at 10:05 AM, flgator61 said:

PAC 10, 12 whatever it is this week is so cute how they think they can hang with the real teams of the SEC, still laughing!

Mississippi State just beat Arizona, in a competition of league bottom dwellers.

Archived