Ohtani

KUGRDON

1 hour ago, MrBug708 said:

That doesn't invalidate my statement

I don't know that it will or won't be a big market.  Money, which militates towards a big market, is not going to be the over-riding factor with this kid. That's the point I'm making.  He lives in a team dormitory which he rarely leaves. He doesn't go out to dinner or drink with his teammates or almost anyone else.  He avoids fans.  He wants to pitch and play daily and Control his personal life.  Big money markets work against some of those goals.

I'm not trying to invalidate any statements, just speculating. From what I've read about him the working conditions, living conditions, privacy and being able to pitch and play a position daily Are going to be determinative.

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

I don't know that it will or won't be a big market.  Money, which militates towards a big market, is not going to be the over-riding factor with this kid. That's the point I'm making.  He lives in a team dormitory which he rarely leaves. He doesn't go out to dinner or drink with his teammates or almost anyone else.  He avoids fans.  He wants to pitch and play daily and Control his personal life.  Big money markets work against some of those goals.

I'm not trying to invalidate any statements, just speculating. From what I've read about him the working conditions, living conditions, privacy and being able to pitch and play a position daily Are going to be determinative.

He's giving up 200 million to go to the major leagues sooner. He isn't going to waste away on a team that won't give him exposure or isn't ready to win now.

6 minutes ago, MrBug708 said:

He's giving up 200 million to go to the major leagues sooner. He isn't going to waste away on a team that won't give him exposure or isn't ready to win now.

I think winning now is important but don't think exposure is high on his list.

If income was his biggest goal, he'd wait two years.  Besides he could play in Anchorage and the Japanese advertising would still pay him millions.  For him, coming to American is t going to make him much more money, it's about competing with the very best players his sport has to offer.

This is a guy who doesn't hardly leave the team housing, he lives and breathes baseball.  If you watch the espn special on him you'd see, he's basically has the focus of Ichiro when it comes to working on his craft, but he's 6'4 with a killer fastball and a ton of power

It is interesting to note that in Japan he pitches on Sunday and plays the outfield or DH Monday through Thursday and takes Friday and Saturday off. I wonder how this will translate into MLB.  How would it affect the rotation of other pitchers on the team?   Let's say he played outfield, could a team really afford a lesser outfielder on Friday Saturday Sunday?   I guess he could go strictly DH or just give regular outfielders a day off playing DH most days.  With our scheduling,  teams take a day off on one or two of the weekdays that he would otherwise play, so how many at bats would he get?  It does pose some problems.   It might make more sense for him to pitch mid week and play another position on Friday Saturday and Sunday to increase his at bats And allow for teams days off to provide him at least one of the days off per week.  He also chose Sapporo as his team because they were the only Japanese team that would let him play a position other than pitcher.

Archived