"The Collision"

Quack 12

Since the potential match-up of two 11-1 top-10 teams in the Pac-12 title game is all anyone is going to talk about regarding the Pac-12, at least for the next week and a half, I think it deserves its own thread. 

So if that plays out:

The Pac-12 stands in front of the Big-12, unless Baylor runs the table, which doesn't seem likely. 

The loser of LSU/Bama, or Auburn, looks like the team that stands in the Pac-12's way. LSU doesn't play another decent opponent after Saturday, and Alabama has yet to play a decent opponent. If the Fighting Orgerons win, they're in, and let's just pretend that Clemson and tOSU lock up two spots, which takes Penn State out of the mix.

Auburn is the spoiler, and oddly, they have a bye this week, too. They're 7-2 and have UGA, another bye versus Samford, and 'Bama - all at home. If they win out (not likely but possible) Auburn will have cleared the way for an 11-1 Pac-12 champ, but they'll also have a pretty solid argument for being the best 2-loss team.  

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The permutations can drive you insane. 
I’m just going to say that one of Oregon or Utah will be a one loss champion and be in. One team from each of ACC, SEC and B1G. BigXII gets left out.
That’s my prediction and I’m sticking with it. 

So as of now (by seed):

Ohio St

LSU

Clemson 

Utah 

I would wager that Oklahoma jumps 1 or both of Utah and Oregon if they win out, as ISU, Baylor and Okie State are all higher rated teams than anyone the Ducks or Utes have left. Not certain if the CCG will be enough for Pac team to re-jump Oklahoma, I really don't have a lot of faith in selection committee.

Things I am hoping for are:

Another Oklahoma loss, along with Baylor loss(es).

Alabama losing to both LSU and Auburn ( unlikely, but would be sweet to have Saban left out ).

Clemson losing a game.

Minnesota losing 2+ games ( likely ) and then Wisconsin winning the B1G CCG ( unlikely ).

Here’s how I’m viewing it.  Let’s say Utah wins out including against Oregon.  Even if we get to the Rose Bowl it’s been a fantastic year. If we beat that opponent, it will go down as the second best Utah team in history after the ‘04 team. This is my opinion. 

I’ve wanted this matchup against Oregon all year. I think it would be a hell of a game.  I like everything about Oregon and I’m a Herbert fan.

I would love a playoff shot though, I’m a fan.  And frankly, this shot might not come back around too soon. Everything has lined up for Utah and this was pretty much expected with all the NFL talent returning for this year.

I’m just going to enjoy the rest of this ride and not stress on the playoff.

14 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

The permutations can drive you insane. 
I’m just going to say that one of Oregon or Utah will be a one loss champion and be in. One team from each of ACC, SEC and B1G. BigXII gets left out.
That’s my prediction and I’m sticking with it. 

So as of now (by seed):

Ohio St

LSU

Clemson 

Utah 

I do not see a chance in hell for Utah, sorry.  Their schedule just isn't enough.

9 minutes ago, Orange said:

I do not see a chance in hell for Utah, sorry.  Their schedule just isn't enough.

It’s too early. Utah can make it. Look at relative OOC SoS of the top teams. Utah’s in the thick of it. 

Also, Utah has an opportunity to make a statement against UCLA next week, since the Bruins are a common opponent with Oklahoma. 

8 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

It’s too early. Utah can make it. Look at relative OOC SoS of the top teams. Utah’s in the thick of it. 

11-1 Utah will not get in over 11-1 Oklahoma with Jalen Hurts. who lost on the road to a ranked team.  Either 11-1 Bama/LSU will get in over Utah.  They may get in over 11-1 Clemson, but it's doubtful; their OOC schedule included South Carolina and A&M.  And I've not even mentioned the possible undefeated teams.  The SoS just isn't enough.  

A near-impossible array of events creating 2-loss teams - combined with Utah boatracing Oregon in the CCG -- would have to happen for the Utes to be in the CFP.   And I'm not saying it's fair; we should have an 8-teamer.

1 minute ago, Orange said:

11-1 Utah will not get in over 11-1 Oklahoma with Jalen Hurts. who lost on the road to a ranked team.  Either 11-1 Bama/LSU will get in over Utah.  They may get in over 11-1 Clemson, but it's doubtful, and their OOC scheduled at least includes South Carolina.  And I've not even mentioned the possible undefeated teams.  The SoS just isn't enough.  

An near-impossible array of events creating 2-loss teams would have to happen for the Utes to be in the CFP.   And I'm not saying it's fair; we should have an 8-teamer.

We’re in until we’re not. 

1 hour ago, Orange said:

Actually, Utah's schedule stacks up pretty well compared to the rest of the T10.. Not saying we will get in but there's 3 teams ahead of us that have worse schedules.

Bama, Penn State and Clemson seem to be powdering their share of cupcakes.

To your Oklahoma point.. They have quite a bit of ground to make up with an SOS of 60.. They do play 2 teams ranked in the T25 but they could also lose to Baylor and Okie Lite is on the fringe..

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playoffPicture

39 minutes ago, utenation said:

Actually, Utah's schedule stacks up pretty well compared to the rest of the T10.. Not saying we will get in but there's 3 teams ahead of us that have worse schedules.

Bama, Penn State and Clemson seem to be powdering their share of cupcakes.

To your Oklahoma point.. They have quite a bit of ground to make up with an SOS of 60.. They do play 2 teams ranked in the T25 but they could also lose to Baylor and Okie Lite is on the fringe..

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playoffPicture

Problem is, Bama survives on name-recognition alone.  They could've played the Class AA HS schedule in Oregon for 12 weeks and then beat LSU and they're in.

1 hour ago, Chad Sexington said:

The top four aren’t in yet either. 

2 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

We’re in until we’re not. 

2 hours ago, Chad Sexington said:

Uh, we’re not eliminated until we are. 

Uh, maybe you should ask yourself what the fuck you're arguing about?  You've already contradicted yourself once.

Archived