Deliverance

American Graffiti

Chinatown

Network

Taxi Driver

Bonnie & Clyde

Midnight Cowboy

I've seen all of these -- once.   meh

Well I'm officially a grumpy old man; I totally agree with Don. 

This 25-year orgy of superhero films has turned me off to most mainstream movies. I don't care how great Captain America and Wonder Woman are, I'm not going to waste my time watching them. 

And Old Yeller was the best goddamned dog in the west!

8 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

Well I'm officially a grumpy old man; I totally agree with Don. 

This 25-year orgy of superhero films has turned me off to most mainstream movies. I don't care how great Captain America and Wonder Woman are, I'm not going to waste my time watching them. 

And Old Yeller was the best goddamned dog in the west!

I'm starting to edge your way with the comic book films.  Wonder Woman was crap.  I enjoyed the first Avengers film, I guess....though it was a tad overwrought.  I loved Iron Man 1.  I've been unable to make it through the other 2.  I've hated every spider man film.  Captain America was mediocre as hell.  Hulk movies are shit.  

But don't give up on movies in general.  There is some TRULY terrific cinema out there that isn't totally filmed with green screen.  If you get a chance, check out Blue Ruin or Hell or High Water or even Get Out.  Two of those three are "mainstream" and wide release.  Great, great films that make you use your brain, but entertain, too.

• 2 months later...

Not counting disney movies that I watched as a kid there are only about 5 movies that were released before 1980 that I have ever seen Star Wars, Jaws I & II, Halloween, Mr Smith Goes to Washington likely a few others that I just don't remember.

Notables that I haven't seen

Godfather series

Goodfellas

ET

Indiana Jones series

Pulp Fiction

Pyscho

Fight Club

Matrix series

American History X

Casablanca

Wizard of Oz

Gone with the Wind

Citizen Kane

Aliens

Braveheart etc...

7 hours ago, clpp01 said:

Not counting disney movies that I watched as a kid there are only about 5 movies that were released before 1980 that I have ever seen Star Wars, Jaws I & II, Halloween, Mr Smith Goes to Washington likely a few others that I just don't remember.

Godfather series

Goodfellas

ET

Indiana Jones series

Pulp Fiction

Pyscho

Fight Club

Matrix series

American History X

Casablanca

Wizard of Oz

Gone with the Wind

Citizen Kane

Aliens

Braveheart etc...

You're a terrible person.

8 hours ago, clpp01 said:

Godfather series

Goodfellas

ET

Indiana Jones series

Pulp Fiction

Pyscho

Fight Club

Matrix series

American History X

Casablanca

Wizard of Oz

Gone with the Wind

Citizen Kane

Aliens

Braveheart etc...

I am guessing you are puzzled by a lot of cultural references people make. I guess some people just don't like movies.

23 minutes ago, Mano said:

I am guessing you are puzzled by a lot of cultural references people make. I guess some people just don't like movies.

This.

My daily conversation with my close "going way back" friends involve almost 50% movie quotes and references thrown out with zero attribution or explanation.  I would be unable to function in my current friendships if some sort of brain disease stole those movies from me.

10 hours ago, clpp01 said:

Godfather series

Goodfellas

ET

Indiana Jones series

Pulp Fiction

Pyscho

Fight Club

Matrix series

American History X

Casablanca

Wizard of Oz

Gone with the Wind

Citizen Kane

Aliens

Braveheart etc...

I am wondering, have you never seen a movie with Bogart?  He was dead before my teens so I was introduced to him up late one night when I couldn't sleep and watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre.  The dialogue so rich and rewarding.  I was thrilled to discover dialogue was the key element in all Bogart flicks.  As Mano mentioned, the cultural references from movies and especially Bogart movies are still hanging in the air 70 years later.   It wouldn't surprise me if you haven't seen a Bogart movie, even many in my age group haven't.  I'm just glad I did and continue to watch one at least every three or four months.

2 hours ago, Mano said:

Only time that has happened so far was back in high school when a couple friends of mine were quoting spaceballs.

52 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

I am wondering, have you never seen a movie with Bogart?  He was dead before my teens so I was introduced to him up late one night when I couldn't sleep and watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre.  The dialogue so rich and rewarding.  I was thrilled to discover dialogue was the key element in all Bogart flicks.  As Mano mentioned, the cultural references from movies and especially Bogart movies are still hanging in the air 70 years later.   It wouldn't surprise me if you haven't seen a Bogart movie, even many in my age group haven't.  I'm just glad I did and continue to watch one at least every three or four months.

I haven't.

46 minutes ago, clpp01 said:

Only time that has happened so far was back in high school when a couple friends of mine were quoting spaceballs.

How old are you?  Have movies like Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction already lost their cultural relevance to younger millennials?

1 hour ago, clpp01 said:

If you don't watch some of these movies, it will happen. Maybe not now, but soon and for the rest of your life.

28 minutes ago, Mano said:

If you don't watch some of these movies, it will happen. Maybe not now, but soon and for the rest of your life.

So many remembered lines. . .most but not all Bogart's.  Two classic lines by Bacall here.  Bogart movies make me think of Barenaked Ladies, smart edgy lyrics in rapid fire delivery.

Archived