What it would take

EastCoastFan

So, what would it take for the Pac-12 to have a team in the national college football playoff?  First, at this stage, Washington is the Pac-12 team with the best chance to make the top four.  So, to start, the 9th ranked Huskies would have to win out and at least five teams ahead of them would have to lose.  One scenario would be 8th ranked Wisconsin losing in the B1G championship (that won't be a surprise); and 7th ranked Miami would have to lose to Notre Dame and/or Clemson (that also won't raise eyebrows).  Those both are somewhat likely.  Also, either #5 Oklahoma or #6 TCU will beat the other, so one will lose, and they may play again in the Big XII championship to return the favor.  But there still probably will be a need for somebody to be knocked out of the top four.  The best possibility would be for Georgia to lose two (at Auburn this week and against Bama in the final); and for our own Stanford to knock Notre Dame out of the picture.

That's a lot to ask for, but it's not impossible.  For the Pac-12's sake, we should be rooting for Wisconsin, Miami, Georgia, and Notre Dame to taste defeat in the next month.  A lot to ask for, but it is possible.  UDub fans should be hoping not only to win over Stanford this week, but also, not beating them up so badly that they can't recover and surprise the Domers.

On 11/7/2017 at 5:06 PM, Scscsc89 said:

SI covers Washington, Wazzu & USC here:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/06/playoff-rankings-scenarios-georgia-auburn-washington

The playoff committee just did Washington a huge favor by ranking USC #11.

USC's ranking, while I have no issue with it, is the best argument for an 8 team playoff I've seen yet.  Plus UDub should be in an 8-team playoff when they win the Pac 12 again this year.  As it is, it's a small field and it's so hard to decide which parity in a conference is better than the parity in another conference.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:55 PM, Nakedmolerat said:

See, I thought people with ESPN were born with it. I didn't think you could train people to see ghosts. 

ESPN is not the ability to communicate with the dead, it's the ability to know what will happen before it happens, like UGA and 'Bama both getting into the playoff.

Archived