New Pac-12 Bowl tie-ins

EastCoastFan

The Pac-12 finally has arranged to play the an SEC team some years in the revised Las Vegas Bowl hosted in the new Raiders stadium.  The new LA stadium will host the old Vegas Bowl arrangement with the MWC.  The LA stadium also will host the 2023 College Football Playoff Title game.  The Holiday Bowl changes to have an ACC rather than a Big Ten opponent for the Pac-12.  See link below for details.

Link:  https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-changes-to-begin-in-2020-03-05-2019/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what has been published, it appears that the SEC and B1G don't have the same ranking of bowls-to-conference rank as the Pac-12 does after their first three destinations.  So there's apparently some negotiation that occurs to get good match-ups for bowl games.  I'd imagine that ESPN plays a part in this.  However, there may be a keen interest in SEC and B1G schools going to Vegas rather than the "same-ole" venues like Tampa, Jacksonville, Nashville, Houston, and Memphis.  It wouldn't surprise if Vegas vs the Pac-12 #3/4 ended up being a sought after bowl for the SEC, and also the B1G.

30 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

$

True, but it's unclear what the new payout will be.  Maybe, just maybe, the deep pockets in Vegas, seeing this as a boost to hometown prestige, hotel occupancy, and return trips will up the pot for competing teams.  There's no reason to believe that Memphis, Jacksonville, Nashville, et.al. have more resources than southern Nevada.

Granted it may change over time in a NY6 bowl, but I can't imagine that they are planning to pay the Pac-12's third or fourth place team the same amount that the SEC's third or fourth place team is used to making.

Still, it's better than the shit sandwich the Rams stadium is getting.

30 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Granted it may change over time in a NY6 bowl, but I can't imagine that they are planning to pay the Pac-12's third or fourth place team the same amount that the SEC's third or fourth place team is used to making.

The problem for the Rams stadium is the damn six year deal.  It would be better if it ended around the time the RV contracts end for most of the P5 conferences.  It'll be an amazing showplace.  It ought to hold a first class bowl.  Maybe, if they're smart, they'll at least be able to do what has been going on in Atlanta and Dallas -- use the new stadium to host a number of neutral field made-for-TV early season high profile intersectional contests.  Something like an Oregon/Michigan or Washington/Florida or Stanford/Penn State contest that'll pull in TV revenue and bring in fans from east of the Mississippi who rabidly follow their teams.

20 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Yeah -- they can't compete against the Rose Bowl during bowl season but they could certainly be in a West Coast rotation for high-profile kickoff classics.

The planning ought to start now.  Stanford, Oregon, Washington, ASU, and USC all have openings in their out-of-conference schedules in the 2021-2025 period.  For example, Washington has scheduled Tulsa and North Dakota for 2023, with an opening still there.  ASU in 2021 has UNLV and BYU and an opening.  As for opponents, Penn State, Wisconsin, MSU, OSU, Michigan, Georgia, A&M, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU all have open dates for out-of-conference games.  For example, LSU has Army and New Mexico scheduled for 2022 with an open date.

18 hours ago, Scscsc89 said:

Actually, bowl payouts vary pretty wildly, but they're all split between the participants. SEC teams might have other revenue streams, but they don't get a bigger slice of the bowl payout. 

The Alamo Bowl payout was nearly $8 million, split by WSU and ISU, in 2018. That was second only to the Citrus Bowl (PSU V. UK) at close to $9M (split). On the other end, the SEC's Gator Bowl (NC St. V. A&M) paid under $3.2 million (split) and the Red Box came in at $3.6M (split). The non-playoff NY6 games pay $4M per team.

The LA deal is great for the MWC, but I agree with dtf, it's too long. There are a few MWC teams that travel decently, BSU, CSU, Nevada maybe, but god forbid Wyoming, UNM or SJSU wins that league.

Your use of the word ‘actually’ makes it seem like I said something I didn’t say. (I never suggested that the slices were uneven because I know they are not.)

If anyone cares, it would help to post the P12 & bowl payout shares & I can try to make my point again, but clearer — or if I am wrong, I can correct myself.

Bottom line -- we're definitely better off than we were with a great Vegas Bowl and finally some matchups with the SEC, although we lose four contests with the B1G from the eight we had in the Holiday Bowl.  As for the LA Bowl, it's not horrible for us in that our 6th place team (7th if we have a playoff participant) gets to play somebody like Boise State in a great stadium; not bad for a Pac team with something like  5-4 conference record.  I had hoped for more, but there's no question it's an improvement.

I'd say this though, over time, the relative ranks of these bowls may change.  There was a time in the past when the Fiesta wasn't on par with the Cotton, and that reversed itself.  The Peach also was elevated when it got playoff rotation status.  Having the LA Bowl as a playoff championship locale is a big plus, and maybe it'll bring attention to that venue as a higher-value bowl in the next round of negotiations, even with the Rose Bowl nearby.  One final caveat -- some of this new setup may be up for grabs if there is any conference restructuring at the end of the current contracts in 2023/24.  Teams like USF and Houston have been showing themselves as having decent value as expansion targets for somebody, and Oklahoma continues to have an itch to cash in on bigger conference paydays.

53 minutes ago, Quack 12 said:

The LA deal is great for the MWC, but I agree with dtf, it's too long. There are a few MWC teams that travel decently, BSU, CSU, Nevada maybe, but god forbid Wyoming, UNM or SJSU wins that league.

I imagine the LA bowl will have a set up similar to what the Vegas bowl did where they aren't forced to take the MWC champion and instead simply get the 1st pick of the available mwc teams that are eligible to avoid that.

21 hours ago, Quack 12 said:

Actually, bowl payouts vary pretty wildly, but they're all split between the participants. SEC teams might have other revenue streams, but they don't get a bigger slice of the bowl payout. 

The Alamo Bowl payout was nearly $8 million, split by WSU and ISU, in 2018. That was second only to the Citrus Bowl (PSU V. UK) at close to $9M (split). On the other end, the SEC's Gator Bowl (NC St. V. A&M) paid under $3.2 million (split) and the Red Box came in at $3.6M (split). The non-playoff NY6 games pay $4M per team.

Well, luckily UNM hasn't won a conference championship anywhere since 1964, SJSU not since 1991, and Wy since 1993.  We may get stuck with a lotta Fresno State in the future years which maybe isn't the worst thing.  Their profane fan base travels decent.  

• 2 months later...

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-lineup-for-next-six-seasons-to-be-announced-06-03-2019/

Pac-12 (8)
2020-25 lineup:
Rose vs. Big Ten
Alamo vs. Big 12
Las Vegas vs. SEC/Big Ten
Los Angeles vs. Mountain West
Holiday vs. ACC
Redbox vs. Big Ten
Sun vs. ACC
Independence vs. ACC

Changes: The NCAA granted the Pac-12 an additional bowl bid in the new cycle and the Pac-12 is expected to add the Los Angeles Bowl vs. the Mountain West and the Independence Bowl against the ACC. The Pac-12 also will play against either the SEC or the Big Ten in the new Las Vegas Bowl. By adding two bowls, the Pac-12 had to drop one – it’s expected to be the Cheez-It Bowl. The Pac-12 will now have Power 5 opponents in seven of its eight bowls, including three from the ACC and at least two from the Big Ten.

31 minutes ago, Scscsc89 said:

Can anyone say where the Indepence Bowl is played, without looking it up?

(I couldn’t)

Shreveport, LA

I only know that because in 1989 (I had to look that up), it was the first bowl game Oregon had been to in 26 years. They beat Tulsa 27-24. That year, it was the WeedEater Independence Bowl.

Archived