First debate topic: Economy

Orange

with his ability to argue both sides of any issue seemingly at random, i would imagine mittens would be a tough guy to have a debate with. you're never quite sure what's coming. i was hoping to hear something specific out of ryan yesterday concerning what 'loopholes' will be closed in order for that 20% income tax cut to fly, but sadly math got in the way between an answer and what i can only assume was an important lunch date.

Yes, I believe Ryan's reply was something along the lines of "it would take too much time to explain." Why thank you, Paul, because us lowly folk are too simple to understand the plethora of ways you'll fuck our economy.

The debate is tonight. Pretty anti-climactic, since our debate formats are a joke. I think I heard a good analogy yesterday; it's like figure-skating: everyone knows what the routine is, it's just a matter of seeing if anyone falls flat and ends up splayed out on the ice.

I think it's pretty clear to everyone that Mitt is the only guy who has a tendency to do such a thing. Wanna bet $10,000 on it?

gamble-300x212.jpg

honestly, i think the pundits will declare victory for romney tonight because we're all kind of expecting obama to beat him over the head and anything less probably has to be a point for camp mittens. barring a huge gaffe, which are kind of hard to predict, romney should do well; he knows his script inside and out, he can deflect with the best of them. obama, while a great orator, is still better in speech mode than debate mode, i'd wager. that's not to say romney will flat out dominate the debate; i just don't think he has to, and people will grade him on a curve.

still more interested in biden vs. ryan. they had to keep biden at bay in '08 because he was debating a developmentally disabled woman, but i think he blows ryan out of the water when the time comes.

Bill would be wrecking both of these guys in the debates right now. Obama looks like he doesnt want to be here or even care about the debates.

"I may need a new accountant" - Mitt

Mitt does look better than he did in the primaries. Romney is so clunky when he speaks though

Mitt just blew it on Medicare. Absolutely unbelievable.

Does our President really formulate his policy based on his grandmother???

Obama uses "Uh" more than a high school freshman

Leherer is getting steamrolled.

Romney keeps bringing up Medicare, which he's already lost before the debate. It's killing him, and he doesn't even know it.

Politifact is going to have a busy night

the strategy for obama going in was apparently be as cautious as possible, and to allow mitt to trip himself. no barbs about the 47%, nothing really on bain.

really, it looked like a guy well practiced in debates with nothing really to lose (if you go by, you know, polls) going up against a guy who hasn't had a debate in 4 years who chose to go vanilla. we'll see what happens in the next debate. based on nothing more than their performances, mitt won. we'll see what the fact checkers have to say; i cringed more than a few times over mitt's spirited attacks.

:)

The folks on Fox are a lot happier than the folks on MSNBC.

Neither candidate made huge mistakes. Neither candidate landed one to the jaw. When neither John Kennedy nor Ronald Reagan have been on the debate stage, that has tended to be the case. My chief observations have nothing to do with Medicare, Jobs, Social Security, the economy. I think the majority of the people will go to bed and get up in the morning thinking about what I observed rather than anything substantive:

1. Romney enjoyed the debate, he loved talking about the issues and he liked talking to Obama. Obama would rather have been someplace else and clearly thought he was too smart to be challenged. To refer back to Org's analogy, Obama seemed to be the one standing on ice, and not particularly enjoying it.

2. The monster the Obama campaign has been talking about for the last three months didn't show up tonight. You know, the guy that killed the unemployed worker's wife. That will open the minds of some voters.

First CNN poll, 67% of registered voters thought Romney won, 25% thought Obama won.

Romney must've been instructed to use cocaine for the first time in his life....that, or Coca Cola. He was definitely energetic, which is all that matters when the only people you're trying to sway are independents who probably can't tell you the difference between Medicare and Medicaid.

Romney did what he was supposed to do, but we all know the election is never won by winning the first debate. Paul Ryan --like Obama -- will probably similarly think he has an intellectual edge on Biden because of Biden's reputation, and he will be sorely mistaken about how that affects his chances. Biden is the attack dog that Obama isn't, and it will show. Ryan's lies will come back to haunt him. It should be an entertaining match.

That, and we still have 2 presidential debates left, including a foreign policy debate that Mitt simply can't win, no matter what he says.

I think glduck is right in that Obama had always been a better speechmaker than he was debater. He's not much for antagonistic theater, like some politicians. That is, after all, why he selected Biden as his running mate. This guy can say what he wants, and Obama looks like the statesman.

To build on the boxing analogy (which really nails it), Romney was SUPPOSED to come after Obama like that. Obama, for lack of a better word, is the champion. Romney is the challenger. What's more, Romney is trailing in the polls, badly, and Obama had nothing to gain by being aggressive. Romney had to go after the Title, or concede.

That said, I think Obama underestimated Romney.

To build on the boxing analogy (which really nails it), Romney was SUPPOSED to come after Obama like that. Obama, for lack of a better word, is the champion. Romney is the challenger. What's more, Romney is trailing in the polls, badly, and Obama had nothing to gain by being aggressive. Romney had to go after the Title, or concede.

From the Washington Times:

Party like it’s 1980!

Bewildered and lost without his teleprompter, President Obama flailed all around the debate stage last night. He was stuttering, nervous and petulant. It was like he had been called in front of the principal after goofing around for four years and blowing off all his homework.

Not since Jimmy Carter faced Ronald Reagan has the U.S. presidency been so embarrassingly represented in public. Actually, that’s an insult to Jimmy Carter.

The split screen was most devastating. Mitt Romney spoke forthrightly, with carefully studied facts and details at the ready. He looked right at the president and accused him of being miles out of his depth.

Mr. Obama? His eyes were glued to his lectern, looking guilty and angry and impatient with all the vagaries of Democracy. This debate was seriously chafing him.

What exactly was Mr. Obama’s strategy here? Did he figure with so many people unemployed in this abomination of an economy he should go for the sympathy vote? Like voters could relate to a guy who is just scared pantsless that he is about to lose his job?

In the middle of the blood-letting segment about jobs, Mr. Romney said good-naturedly: “This is fun.â€

Almost pleading, Mr. Obama reached out to the moderator for a lifeline: “You may want to move onto another topic.â€

When an unexpected noise went off behind him, Mr. Obama wheeled around to look as if to ask, “Time to go?â€

Hopefully.

Turns out, it was the first honest thing we have heard from Mr. Obama’s campaign: The president really was absolutely terrible on the debate stage.

Maybe the next debate will be on something other than the economy that won’t be so bad for Mr. Obama. Perhaps they could hold a debate on street organizing.

Who knew anyone on the planet could make Mitt Romney look easy, relaxed, smooth and human?

Read more: HURT: Obama the debater: Making Jimmy Carter look awesome - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/oct/3/hurt-obama-debater-making-jimmy-carter-look-awesom/#ixzz28Mx9IiR3

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Many on the left are blaming Jim Lehrer for the President's poor showing. They claim he let Romney ramble on. Facts are a troubling thing though, Obama actually spoke for 10% longer than did Romney. Fair enough, he had more 'splainin to do.

I wouldnt be surprised if Obama wasn't using the rope-a-dope method either for the next two debates.

Kerry also dominated W in the first debate in 2004

Archived