Game of Thrones/TV thread

MrBug708

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've come to the realization recently watching old reruns that Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever. It is almost 15 years since the show ended, and it is pretty incredible the things they were able to get away with back then in terms of edgy humor. One of the episodes on recently had Jerry talking about the assisted suicide machine: "Don't these people have any bridges or tall buildings where they live?"

It's the kind of humor that is commonplace these days but was really taboo back then. Somehow Seinfeld got away with it, though.

The show holds up better than most other sitcoms from that era, such as Roseanne, Friends, Home Improvement, Frasier, etc.

seinfeld is the best live action sitcom ever. i will argue with anyone all day long that the first nine seasons of the simpsons is the greatest show of all time. 

roseanne is the shit. i think the first 5 seasons or so stand up very well. it got ridiculously bad near the end to the point of being completely unwatchable, but everything up to the arrival of second becky is great. 

my wife is a huge friends fan so by proxy i've seen every episode (sadly) multiple times. i can stand seasons 4-5, it got into a nice little groove, but not much else. always hated home improvement... never could get past the fact that every episode was exactly the same, even being, like, 11 years old and watching it when it first aired. 

seinfeld is the best live action sitcom ever. i will argue with anyone all day long that the first nine seasons of the simpsons is the greatest show of all time. 

roseanne is the shit. i think the first 5 seasons or so stand up very well. it got ridiculously bad near the end to the point of being completely unwatchable, but everything up to the arrival of second becky is great. 

my wife is a huge friends fan so by proxy i've seen every episode (sadly) multiple times. i can stand seasons 4-5, it got into a nice little groove, but not much else. always hated home improvement... never could get past the fact that every episode was exactly the same, even being, like, 11 years old and watching it when it first aired. 

Wish I had a neighbor like Wilson. I don't know my neighbors for shit.

Fresh Prince- admit it- was legit. I catch reruns sometimes in the mornings.

True story, my parents discouraged the Simpsons, and Roseanne was an adult show. They cancelled MTV. In hindsight I'm glad they did MTV, but I watched every Simpsons which has propelled me, animation wise, through the likes of Futurama (brilliant), Family Guy (has a lot of hilarious moments), now Archer. Never really got in to South Park, but I can say the ones I've seen have been humorous enough.

In 8th grade, we called Friends "Monica's boobs".

Your taste aside, I speak the truth, and as for innovation and edgyness, use of three 35mm cameras to film, live audience for a sitcom, show broadcast on east and west coast at the same time, first use of reruns, pregnant woman on screen with her pregnancy incorporated into story line, white wife Cuban husband in the 50s.  Its not to me to decide if I Love Lucy or Seinfeld was the best sitcom, but that is the Super Bowl.

Lucy deserves serious props for taking on hollywood the way she did back then.  A gorgeous woman who did not rely on looks to get ahead.  Very admirable.

Wish I had a neighbor like Wilson. I don't know my neighbors for shit.

Fresh Prince- admit it- was legit. I catch reruns sometimes in the mornings.

True story, my parents discouraged the Simpsons, and Roseanne was an adult show. They cancelled MTV. In hindsight I'm glad they did MTV, but I watched every Simpsons which has propelled me, animation wise, through the likes of Futurama (brilliant), Family Guy (has a lot of hilarious moments), now Archer. Never really got in to South Park, but I can say the ones I've seen have been humorous enough.

In 8th grade, we called Friends "Monica's boobs".

Sounds like your parents were similar to mine.  Made me walk out of the room during parts of Pretty Woman.  Yes, Pretty Woman, where she was *gasp* in her towel and underwear and bra.   My dad once got pissed at me while I was watching the Losing my Religion video by REM.  Anything weird or unconventional was frowned upon.

That's why I liked some of the more subversive stuff that my parents didn't get.  Simpson, during some episodes, was like that. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite, not very good movies is Kingdom of Heaven and while watching it, I come across Jaime Lannister. While watching further, I come across Jorah Mormont. Then I wonder how Marton Csokas didnt get cast in GoT.

Totally random

Not much of a TV watcher but I love the National Geographic Channel.

Anyone watch Wicked Tuna? http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/wicked-tuna/

Alaska's State Patrol has their own show too and man it's crazy to be really drunk in the middle of nowhere when it's 40 below zero.  Link to that show: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/alaska-state-troopers/

And while I don't smoke pot, there's a show for that: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/american-weed/

haha i feel the same way about kingdom of heaven. 

anyone watching the following on fox? probably the best network drama i've seen since... lost, maybe? surprisingly good.

I'm watching it.  My wife gave up on it.  We're so used to Justified, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and all the awesome cable dramas that the network stuff is hard to stomach.  But yeah, it's a shit-lot better than Alcatraz, at least.  Kevin Bacon saves it.

The thing I hate about network dramas is how clean cut and fucking pottery barn all the people and sets are.  What kind of serial-killer cult farmhouse has impeccable hardwoord floors, and a rag-tag team of former frat boys with hollywood looks resorting to murder to get ahead in society?  I think I saw a neighbor from Modern Family in the murder cult.  Ugh.

But other than that, I manage to stay engaged.

• 2 weeks later...

having marathoned S2 of game of thrones the past week in anticipation of tonight's premere, i am again confident in saying we have a rare situation where the show/movie is a vast improvement on the books. 

i watched S1 as it aired, then went out and bought some of the books. i stopped midway through book three because i found i was just reading to figure out the plot, but i didn't give a shit about any of the characters. i think the show does an amazing job of characterization. i know you've read the books bug, did you feel the same way? i find martin's writing very dry. unbelievably detailed and probably unmatched in world building (i think he blows tolkien out of the water), but lacking elsewhere. 

anyway, S3 starts in about half an hour. nerdgasm commence.

I enjoyed it. Tyrion got owned by his dad. I wish there would have been a good way to have incorporated Barristan Selmy's emergence, but once you see his face, it's impossible to hide him. The Jon Snow scene I wanted to be better, but I don't think anything was lost either. Giantsbane was pretty great

For my money, that was a great fucking season premiere.  Loved the slaveowner who was selling to the Kalisi (sp?).  The back and forth between him and his interpreter was awesome.  Jon Snow and the stuff behind the wall grabs my attention best.  That, and whenever Tyrion is on-screen.  The handmaiden and the Stark girl put me to fucking sleep.  The opening scene prior to the show's credit intro was epic.  "everyone you have ever known will be dead!"

Hard to make the stakes any higher than that.

thought the premiere was great. up until this point, i thought two scenes in this show were pretty much writing/acting/directorial perfection in a television show, both from season one: robert/cersei's conversation in king's landing shortly before his death, where they drink and toast to their failed marriage; and tyrion, bron, and shea at the lannister war camp the night before their first big battle with the starks, when tyrion tells them about the prostitute he married years ago. but i think tywin and tyrion's conversation may have just been added to the list. what a fucking punch to the gut. i'm so desensitized i rarely 'feel' anything regardless of medium, but that was heartbreaking. 

afterwards i pretty much said 'fuck it', went to wikipedia, and read up on what happens in books 3-5. holy shit. i don't even know what to say.

Archived