2016 -- and Beyond -- Basketball Recruiting

All Hail

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few schools here might be interested to know that Mitch Lightfoot has put out his final 5. In no particular order Zona, Utah, Stanford, St. Johns and Kansas.

Nice to see that Utah is in the mix for some of these kids. Also in the mix for Lauri Markkanen  (his current coach is former Ute star Hanno Motola) and Frank Jackson. I know the most likely outcomes for these three are Zona, Carolina and Duke respectively, but if Utah can get at least one of them I will be pretty pleased. Amazing how far Krystko has taken this program in such a short time.

Oregon State quietly secured a commitment from 2016 PF Ben Kone of San Jose.  He is a guy Cal would have been all over had Montgomery still been the coach and I think he's going to have a very successful stint in the pac 12.  He's a classic post with good moves, great rebounder, good touch around the basket and a big frame.  What he isn't is a high flying athletic PF with unlimited potential, which is why he is only rated a 3 star.  For better or for worse, Counzo has elevated Cal's recruiting to the point where guys like Kone are Plan B or Plan C players.  

Jordan Ford is another player that Cal would have signed had Monty still been coach and he is of the same mold except me plays PG.  He might end up at Oregon State as well.  

The #4 overall player of the 2018 class -- Jordan Brown -- visited Cal yesterday and hung out with his friend Ivan Rabb.  Brown is another local star from the class of 2018 about 90 minutes north of Berkeley.  If Cal can land Elijah Hardy and Jordan Brown, the 2018 class will rival the 2015 and would mean that Cal has FINALLY fenced off it's backyard.  I've been saying it for years, if Cal could find a way to hang on to best Bay Area talent they would be a perennial sweet 16 team with the talent to go much further. 

Charlie Moore have Four Official Visits set. Illinois, Memphis, Pitt and California... #Big10 #ACC #ACC #Pac12

Cal is pretty much putting all of their eggs in the Charlie Moore basket. I think it's a ballsy move by Martin to cast a guy like Ford aside and go after a player from the midwest with those kinds of offers. There doesn't appear to be a plan B at the moment, unless the staff thinks they can flip Ford at any time, and the Bears need a 2016 pg.

Vance Jackson has some crazy HS things going on. Pasadena (CA) La Salle High School to Bellflower (CA) St. John Bosco High School to rumored to Pasadena (CA) Maranatha High School to rumored to Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei High School to now rumored to Napa (CA) Prolific Prep.

I am actually surprised that more college coaches do not give up working at this level given what they have to deal with in terms of these pampered and entitled top prospects (and their support circles).

Very solid pickup for the Ducks.  The Pac 12 has 6-7 teams that are now bringing in top 30 classes.  In 2015, The Pac 12 had 5 teams rank in the top 22 spots and none of those teams are named Utah -- who has built a solid program in their own right.  The conference should be getting better in a hurry.  

Archived