NBA 16-17 Thread

All Hail

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will the Warriors go after or care about the regular season record again this year, or will it all be championship or bust? I would think that this year they take the Spurs approach and rest guys throughout the season.

1. gsw. c'mon.

2. san antonio. pau gasol basically carried the bulls last year, now he gets to slide comfortably into that 3rd/4th option role on a well-oiled machine.

3. memphis. mike conley = $153 mil? what a time to be alive. the grizz finishing third has everything to do with health: namely, marc gasol and chandler parsons. but if they do stay healthy, they've got their usual tight defense and their best offense in ages.

4. clips. the Groundhog Day of basketball teams. enjoy 50+ wins and another devastating postseason experience.

5. utah. the west dips a bit here, so why not go with a sleeper? utah has been building a nice core that played really well together when healthy, and they added a host of vets (george hill, joe johnson, boris diaw) to add depth. 

6. okc. they've still got westbrook and a crazy talented and versatile front court -- and victor oladipo now. 

7. portland. blazers slip after a nutshot of an offseason does them little favors. mccollum will be playing for a big payday, and the front court is deep and competent. still dame's show, and we know how good he can be.

8. houston. rox narrowly edge out the wolves due to experience. but it's no lock. harden and eric gordon sounds like an ugly mixture, and for a team that plays no defense, losing dwight howard and adding mike d'antonio is kind of funny. i love minnesota adding cole aldrich, and they've got the best (super) young core in the game. but I'll say they're a year away. 

1. cleveland. it's always possible the cavs start coasting, because homecourt really doesn't matter to a team that has lebron. but I'll keep them here till otherwise proven wrong.

2. boston. i went gay for Boston last season, then they add al horford? cha-ching! i'm a noted avery bradley fan. they're deep, cohesive, and this is all assuming #3 pick jaylen brown is brought along slowly. if he hits the ground running, watch out.

3. toronto. they finally took a step forward, and really only lost biyombo, no? i think jakob poeltl will be a contributor on day one in a reserve big man role, so no huge loss. 

4. atlanta. should be a weird experiment (isn't it always with Dwight?) but they've still got bazemore and milsap and korver. they won't be totally unrecognizable.

5. charlotte. locked up batum and roy hibbert is an interesting addition, but losing courtney lee kind of hurts the punch. still have a young and improving front court (zeller, kaminsky).

6. indy. pacers will, at least, be interesting: no longer slow and methodical, they might no longer even play defense. to pair with paul george and myles turner they brought in jeff teague, thaddeus young, and al jefferson. monta ellis is still around. they should score quite often, and turner provides great floor spacing. still, they're flawed, and firing frank vogel for nate mcmillan is mind-boggling. get ready for the paul george iso show.

7. detroit. they broke through last year and made improvements. no reason to think they'll slide.

8. i have no idea. if healthy, maybe miami. but how much will bosh play? your cornerstones are now hassan whiteside and justise winslow. chicago is a damn mess, dwayne wade is not very good anymore and only detracts from jimmy butler. orlando looks intriguing, kinda, with fournier and gordon and ibaka and biyombo, but.... maybe the Knicks? carmelo and porzingis are back, and they added a who's who of brittle but effective vets: noah, lee, derrick rose, brandon jennings... 

that's what i said after the initial rush of FA had subsided. i think i undersold the thunder, who could still be really good. not sure i like memphis and utah quite that high anymore. if indy gels, they might actually be pretty scary in the east.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still not sold on Russell but there is no doubt in my mind that Brandon Ingram is going to be a very very good NBA basketball player.  His skill-set is already off the charts good.  Super athletic, a shot that is way too advanced for his age, great size, can play and defend multiple positions.  He played PF vs Durant and PG vs Curry.  I thought he looked very good at PG.  He is perfectly build for the modern NBA and is further along in his development than any players 1-year out of college I can remember considering it's only the preseason.  The Lakers got themselves a fantastic prospect in Ingram.  Could use some extra weight but that will come in time. 

opening night brings us the champs (knicks @ cavs), the front-runner (san antonio @ golden state) and, for some reason, utah @ portland.

blazers should be a fun team to watch again. i'm a little worried about how evan turner will fit in, as he's not a good shooter and needs the ball in his hands to be effective, and we've already got a backcourt full of ball handlers (lillard, mccollum). but maybe a point-forward role for turner will free them up in other ways. stotts is good with that kind of stuff. based on the preseason, the rotation will be:

lillard

mccollum

harkless

aminu

plumdog

with our two big offseason $90 mil splurges coming off the bench:

turner

crabbe

at some point, i hope ezeli will be able to join the frontcourt rotation. maybe the start of the new year? luckily we didn't pay much for him, he's definitely done nothing to shake his injury-plagued status. 

I paid way too much for mediocre seats to attend tonight's opener against the Spurs.  I told my wife one of my friends was going through a hard time and he needed this dammit.  

The line is -9.5 and I think the Warriors cover easily.  They will be amped up to finally play a meaningful game after being followed around all summer by a quantity of media that are usually reserved for foul-mouthed presidential candidates.   I don't think the Spurs are nearly as good as last year and will be without Danny Green, who anchors their parameter defense and has been the key to slowing down the Warriors outside.  

Many fans are bemoaning this season, saying that the Warriors have an unfair amount of talent and that the league won't be competitive.  I say anything can happen but one thing is for sure. Warriors fans who had to watch Todd Fuller get selected over Kobe, Joe Smith over KG, Chris Webber get traded 1 year after drafting him, went 12 years without a playoff birth in a league where everyone makes the playoffs, and general incompetence rarely seen in a business setting whose goal is to win something deserve this.  

A reminder of how bad things have been for Warriors fans (minus the last few years of course.) http://grantland.com/features/how-annoy-fan-base-60-easy-steps/

fans who bemoan golden state's talent need only look to last year, when they were the most talented team in the league and won more games than anybody else ever had and we were treated to one of the great finals comebacks of all time with one of the great individual performances ever.

the ex-beav actually had a good moment. blazers were up 106-102 with about a minute to play, lillard took a shot from beyond the arc and before the ball leaves his hand hurd said something like "and that's the ball game." 

lillard nailed the shot. 

it was a fun opener, even if we let the corpse of joe johnson go michael jordan on us.

yeah that was a copy and paste from a post i made right after the initial wave of FA, but prior to mccollum's deal.

glad we locked him up. still iffy on turner... last night the only shot he made was on a jumper flatter than a pancake. 

I thought that may be the case but didn't see the original thread.  Turner is going to be ... interesting?  If anyone can figure out how to use him effectively, it's Terry Stotts.  Best coach the Blazers have had since Rick Adelman, easily. Noah Vonleh was a nice surprise throughout the preseason and into last night, and then what I read what his teammates are saying about him in practice and it's hard to not be at least a little bit excited about him for the future.

He took Meyers Leonard's spot in the rotation in the second half.  I like how Stotts doesn't get wedded to a line-up and plays the hot hand.

Jaylen Brown got his 1st start on the road against the Cavs and played great.  19 points, 5 boards, 4 assists, a block and a steal.  He also went 3/6 from deep (where was this at Cal!?)

He had an awesome move on Lebron and after the game, Lebron walked with Brown for awhile and talked.  He told reporters he thinks he is going to be a great player.  Good job Jaylen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT5BeCblb4I

Archived