2016-17 Basketball Coaching Carousel

ExplorerSunDevil

1 hour ago, row Z said:

That is possible, but it is not the sense I am getting from how sad 'Cuse fans are at losing Hopkins. They seem genuinely surprised and concerned. Also, Boeheim just signed an extension. I think Hopkins was going to the guy, and just didn't want to wait anymore.

According to Hopkins, he left because he didn't want to pressure Boeheim into retiring when he wasn't ready.  This seems like an honorable and plausible explanation.  If he succeeds at UW, he can always return when Boeheim is ready to retire. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, All Hail said:

According to Hopkins, he left because he didn't want to pressure Boeheim into retiring when he wasn't ready.  This seems like an honorable and plausible explanation.  If he succeeds at UW, he can always return when Boeheim is ready to retire. 

I'm sure that was discussed in his talks with UDub and very much doubt that that will happen without heavy penalty.

5 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

I'm sure that was discussed in his talks with UDub and very much doubt that that was the case and that it would not happen without heavy penalty.and very much doubt that that was the case and that it would not happen without heavy penalty.

What in the Davis just happened here? Just another Tequila sunrise? 

i haven't seen the contract, but it's not unusual for a coach to leave the door open for a specific school if and when it does open. depends who wanted who more, i suppose. with a gig already lined up i can certainly see hopkins sitting in the power seat during negotiations. 

I agree with GL.  I don't think it has anything to do with UW being stupid.  I'm not sure UW had the necessary leverage in these negotiations to put such language in the contract.  I mean Counzo Martin just got 7 years guaranteed at 3 million per year.  It's clear that coaches are becoming increasingly appreciated assets that carry with them the associated leverage in negotiations.  I'm sure Hopkins had multiple other suitors if UW didn't give him what he wanted.  I'm not predicting he goes back to Syracuse but I think it is very plausible that he left out of great respect for Boeheim and hasn't shut the door to a possible reunion once Boeheim retires.  

I don't think that Hopkins was such a unique opportunity that UW would have felt powerless to negotiate this obvious item.  If they lose Hopkins to Syracuse within three years without a huge buy out having to be paid, UW was stupid.

of course, UW Likewise gave Hopkins a contractual term giving him lots of money if they fire him within a specifie period.  Both sides of this contractual coin are pretty obvious.

39 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

Interesting take from Wilner on risk of Hopkins hire (not related to contract terms discussed above).

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/20/college-hotline-pac-12-history-suggests-washington-made-a-risky-hire-with-mike-hopkins/

I see his point and agree that there is risk any time you hire someone to do a job -- in this instance, be a head coach -- that they've never done before.  However, a sample size of 3 (and at 3 of the least desirable jobs in the conference) hardly constitutes as a proper sample size and makes for a poor argument.  Why limit the sample size to the Pac 12?  I would be curious to see if this trend of 3 carries over to other power 5 conferences.  

Off the top of my head, Sean Miller (Xavier), Brad ******ns (Butler), and Shaka Smart (VCU) were 3 assistant coaches who were hired and made monumental turnarounds as 1st time head coaches.  Everyone's gotta start somewhere and Hopkins has been an assistant for over 20 years now.  

3 hours ago, PapaG said:

Tom Crean fired at Indiana.  Gregg Marshall or ****** Alford.  Who do think?

Im leaning towards Alford, I just think that Marshall would be a repeat of Crean

I was actually surprised that Tom Crean wasn't fired in 2011 after the worst 3 year stretch in Indiana basketball history

3 hours ago, ExplorerSunDevil said:

Im leaning towards Alford, I just think that Marshall would be a repeat of Crean

I was actually surprised that Tom Crean wasn't fired in 2011 after the worst 3 year stretch in Indiana basketball history

Marshall makes like 4.5 mill a year, unless IU just loves him, I don't see them blowing him out of the water with a bigger deal.  

I'm hearing that former Warrior coach and Current Nevada coach Eric Musselman is going to be offered and accept the Cal job tomorrow.   I'm not nearly as excited as I was when we got Counzo from Tennesee but then again Counzo didn't win a single tournament game so who knows. 

1 minute ago, KUGRDON said:

It seems like Musselman's been on every list for the last few years.

I guess that's a good thing.  Apparently the guy has been wanting to return to the Bay Area for a long time.  

He had a 45% winning percentage as the Warriors head coach, which was the best winning such percentage in 25 years until Mark Jackson inherited Klay and Steph.  

He also had an immediate turnaround job at Nevada, who was 9-22 before he came.  Then he went 24-14 and then 28-6 with an NCAA tournament birth.  

He doesn't get me excited (there's a joke to be made here) but he's far better than the other coaches on our list: Pasternak, Lavin (yuck!) Howland, Gates, Les and Turner. 

24 minutes ago, All Hail said:

I'm hearing that former Warrior coach and Current Nevada coach Eric Musselman is going to be offered and accept the Cal job tomorrow.   I'm not nearly as excited as I was when we got Counzo from Tennesee but then again Counzo didn't win a single tournament game so who knows. 

I hope you're wrong!

BTW, I heard it's going to be Pasternack.

13 hours ago, Mano said:

What kind of an insider is he if I can break news before he does.  #shame

I'm now hearing that there is a very powerful booster who is pushing extremely hard for Pasternak.  Pasternak has friends in high places.  He is also married to the sister of former Cal basketball announcer and current ESPN announcer Roxy Bernstein.  

The Cal AD and some of the boosters are split with this powerful booster and his allies.  The result is that one side is leaking that Pasternak has the job while the other is leaking that Musselman has the job.  Cal dysfunctional?  Who would have guessed?

I still think it's Musselman for several reasons but these things are fluid, particularly when you do not have a unified decision making front.  

Archived