How Millennial Are You?

PAC MAN

1 hour ago, KUGRDON said:

Never expressed any outrage.  To tell the truth, I thought it was interesting because a board liberal just expressed support for whole foods. I’ve never been there pre or post Trump.

I want them to get their insurance through a single-payer system. What party wants that?  Getting it through the ACA private market is the most unfair way the government has ever constructed to provide health insurance.  Ask Bill Clinton.

I don’t think employers should be required to pay any part of any employees’ health insurance, so there’s no reason why I should be critical of Bezos.

Ummm, the Democrats.  

Polling shows that Sanders and Warren -- the two most high-profile Dem candidates -- support Medicare for all, i.e. single payer, and their polling, combined, is greater than Biden's.

If YOUR party wasn't screaming about single-payer destroying the long, long love affair that we all have with tying health care to employment through predatory insurance companies, we'd already be there (along with the rest of western civilization and much of the far east, too).

And will you PLEASE stop misremembering Clinton's statements about Obamacare?

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/04/politics/bill-clinton-obamacare-craziest-thing/index.html

"Look, the Affordable Health Care Act did a world of good, and the 50-something efforts to repeal it that the Republicans have staged were a terrible mistake," Clinton said at a rally in Athens, Ohio. "We, for the first time in our history, at least are providing insurance to more than 90% of our people."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess I’m a Dem because I support single payer health insurance.

GOP has nothing to do with employer provided health insurance as a requirement. It was, for the first time, imposed by DACA because the Dems couldn’t find enough Democratic votes for single payer or even a public option.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/10/04/politics/bill-clinton-obamacare-craziest-thing/index.html

Yeah, plenty of pressure for him to walk back his true view, “it’s the craziest thing in the world.”

1 minute ago, KUGRDON said:

GOP has nothing to do with employer provided health insurance as a requirement. It was, for the first time, imposed by DACA because the Dems couldn’t find enough Democratic votes for single payer or even a public option.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/10/04/politics/bill-clinton-obamacare-craziest-thing/index.html

Yeah, plenty of pressure for him to walk back his true view.

Or, maybe just disingenuous about your support of single payer insurance.

Dems couldn't find ANY GOP votes for single payer, or even a public option. GOP doesn't give a tinker's damn about people being insured, yet you are a proud member of the party.

3 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

as much as you are.😉

You pretend to support insurance but can’t utter a word of criticism for a billionaire taking it away from his lowest paid employees.🤷‍♂️

I am under no illusions that Billionaires will voluntarily give a dime more to "their lowest paid employees" than they have to, any more than a lowly 7-11 owner would do so, I just don't point out the billionaires your boy doesn't like while never mentioning the ones he does.

We as a society need to take care of the most basic human needs, and our country is plenty rich enough to do so. Your party disagrees.

I’m under no illusion that highly paid employees, like many who populate this board such as yourself, will voluntarily give a dime to the health insurance costs of Those in the ACA’s private plan insurance market than they are forced to.   How do I know this, none have done it.  On the contrary to your assertions, hundreds of thousands of small business owners voluntarily provided health insurance benefits to employees without being required to do so.  Many still do who are not required to because of the low number or employees they have.

The ACA treated the self employed, a largely conservative minority, far worse that it treated highly compensated employees.  Highly compensated employees received all or a portion of their personal healthcare insurance premiums for free and without tax on the economic value thereof.  The self employed, tens of thousands of whom make less than highly compensated employees, were thrown into a less healthy risk pool, were charged more because of that, and were taxed on the full amount of their premium without any deduction.  The ACA was a partisan political ploy more than an attempt to control costs or provide coverage.

i haven’t criticized any business owner, rich or not, for not providing health insurance.  So Bevos and Trump are immaterial to me.  But you’re free to remain silent even though you pretend the well being of others is important to you.

18 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

I’m under no illusion that highly paid employees, like many who populate this board such as yourself, will voluntarily give a dime to the health insurance costs of Those in the ACA’s private plan insurance market than they are forced to.   How do I know this, none have done it.  On the contrary to your assertions, hundreds of thousands of small business owners voluntarily provided health insurance benefits to employees without being required to do so.  Many still do who are not required to because of the low number or employees they have.

The ACA treated the self employed, a largely conservative minority, far worse that it treated highly compensated employees.  Highly compensated employees received all or a portion of personal their personal healthcare insurance premiums for free and without tax on the economic value thereof.  The self employed were thrown into a less healthy risk pool, were charged more because of that, and received no deduction.  The ACA was a partisan political ploy more than an attempt to control costs or provide coverage.

i haven’t criticized any business owner, rich or not, for not providing health insurance.  So Bevos and Trump are immaterial to me.  But you’re free to remain silent even though you pretend the well being of others is important to you.

So, well being of others unimportant to you, good to know.

Your were the one who felt the need to single out whole foods because " a board liberal just expressed support for whole foods". 

Employers offer insurance as a perk to attract highly compensated employees like me because that is how they make their money, keeping me and others like me healthy and happy is beneficial to the company and makes them money. As soon as I cost more than I benefit them, I will no longer be employed. They are not doing so as a charity, nor would I expect them to. 

I would certainly vote for a single payer insurance that would cover everyone, and of course I know I would be helping to pay for others through my taxes, and I would know my taxes would go up more than what I currently pay in insurance premiums, which for me is quite low.

The GOP has no interest in any tax supported insurance, other than to cut and gut whatever we currently have.

So they will voluntarily provide benefits.

Many employers provided health insurance without receiving any such benefit in return.  Until the ACA was passed I did.   Upon discovering that my employees could purchase their own insurance with a subsidy and at a lower net cost than that same insurance would cost me I ceased paying for their health insurance And grossed up their pay by the amount of their premium. Not one of my employees purchased the ACA health insurance and instead chose to pocket the money.  Their choice.

Funny that it was a republican, Nixon, who was the first President to formally propose national health insurance.  The opposition was led by Senator Kennedy Who late in life admitted that it was a mistake.  Kennedy said he made “the perfect” the enemy “of the good” and delayed massive improvements by nearly 50 years.

Despite the current divisiveness in our politics, center-right need not be the enemy of center-left.  It’s a shame that that is the construct in which we currently operate.

59 minutes ago, KUGRDON said:

So they will voluntarily provide benefits.

Many employers provided health insurance without receiving any such benefit in return.  Until the ACA was passed I did.   Upon discovering that my employees could purchase their own insurance with a subsidy and at a lower net cost than that same insurance would cost me I ceased paying for their health insurance And grossed up their pay by the amount of their premium. Not one of my employees purchased the ACA health insurance and instead chose to pocket the money.  Their choice.

Funny that it was a republican, Nixon, who was the first President to formally propose national health insurance.  The opposition was led by Senator Kennedy Who late in life admitted that it was a mistake.  Kennedy said he made “the perfect” the enemy “of the good” and delayed massive improvements by nearly 50 years.

Despite the current divisiveness in our politics, center-right need not be the enemy of center-left.  It’s a shame that that is the construct in which we currently operate.

So, Republican POTUS proposes healthcare, doesn't pass, Democrats fault. Democratic POTUS proposes healthcare, doesn't pass, Democrats fault. Democratic POTUS pushes through some healthcare, GOP guts it, Democrats fault. Any other gems you have for us?

18 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

Yeah, plenty of pressure for him to walk back his true view, “it’s the craziest thing in the world.”

Jesus fuck, you ALWAYS do this lying bullshit.  something like 55 out of 56 Dems supported single payer, 0 of 43 Republicans did, and yet you have the audacity to blame Democrats.  

You did the same bullshit with Republicans/Democratic voting on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, even though the Democrats VASTLY outnumbered Republicans in voting for it.  

But go ahead with some smarmy "I love to tweak libs" bullshit next.

3 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

Wrong thread.

Huh?  I'm replying to a post of yours FROM THIS THREAD.

You've also beaten this "high wage employees are the problem" drum for about 20 years whenever politics are discussed, and it's even more impeccably incorrect than it's ever been.  S-corp distributions -- already taxed lower than the top rate for income tax prior to Trump -- are now taxed nearly 50% less than they were.  STILL you demonize highly paid employees.  The uber-rich are taxed a fraction of what I am for carried interest or capital gains.  STILL you glorify business owners and demean employees, then demand praise for employers "voluntarily" providing medical benefits to employees, even though they do so in an effort to remain competitive with other businesses, and thus create return for themselves.  It's really a clever bit of Donesty, but Donesty nonetheless.  

And Harry Truman was the first American president to propose a national health insurance option.  Nixon was staunchly opposed to that, and instead favored HMOs.  It wasn't "good", much less "perfect."  Today's republicans -- including Republicans YOU voted for -- torpedoe'd any shot for the ACA to have a public option/single payor, either because Obama was black, or because you're fucking lying about supporting single-payor.  You pick.  Personally, I think it's the latter, but it could be the former.  America has surprised me a lot in the past 2.5 years.

I guess to be honest I might be more millennial than I’ve been leading on. I’ve been enjoying the hell out of cranberry mustard on poultry sandwiches. I generally have Them on ciabatta.  I guess the cranberry mustard is pretty millennial, ciabatta might be If I wasn’t Italian and hadn’t been eating it for the last 50 years.

Finally I probably drown out any millennial tendencies by having The sandwiches with Campbell’s chunky soup, perhaps the best thing ever introduced for Baby boomers.

13 hours ago, KUGRDON said:

I guess to be honest I might be more millennial than I’ve been leading on. I’ve been enjoying the hell out of cranberry mustard on poultry sandwiches. I generally have Them on ciabatta.  I guess the cranberry mustard is pretty millennial, ciabatta might be If I wasn’t Italian and hadn’t been eating it for the last 50 years.

Finally I probably drown out any millennial tendencies by having The sandwiches with Campbell’s chunky soup, perhaps the best thing ever introduced for Baby boomers.

Well we've done our best to fill you all with sodium, and alas, most of you live...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't care where my insurance comes from, just don't charge me more for it.  Giving everyone insurance is a great thing, my only issue has been the cost.  Rather than passing the cost onto us, they need to reign in the cost of doctors, medicine ect.  Canada makes it work, and there is zero reason the US can't also.  

10 hours ago, RogueDuck said:

I don't care where my insurance comes from, just don't charge me more for it.  Giving everyone insurance is a great thing, my only issue has been the cost.  Rather than passing the cost onto us, they need to reign in the cost of doctors, medicine ect.  Canada makes it work, and there is zero reason the US can't also.  

Nationalising insurance certainly has the potential to bring down costs by cutting out the private insurance companies, standardizing costs, etc.

The US currently spends more per capita on healthcare than any nation, you would think we could get everyone covered for what we pay. Taxes certainly would have to go up, but that would be offset by not paying insurance premiums. Would likely cost less overall for most, more for some.

Archived